#1 Milou

Milou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Hello,

Long time no post....

Just wanted to spread my enthusiasm for Future Forests (www.futureforests.com) they are a great company through whom you can buy trees to be planted to offset your carbon use.

I recently flew to canada and was feeling really guilty about the amount of pollution it would entail, so I brought a couple of trees online! You can even pick which forest you'd like them planted in (we picked a nice scottish forest).

I am going to buy more trees every time I fly now, every little helps!

Milou

#2 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:55 PM

I remember hearing about them a while back. There's some comment on them here and here and some further links, too.

Edited by jannism, 02 November 2005 - 01:57 PM.

#3 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

Call my cynical but does that actually help - do extra trees really compensate for air travel etc?!?

#4 Laura

Laura

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

This type of scheme is not quite a ‘replacement’ of the carbon used. Or being carbon neutral. Using trees as carbon sinks is not as straight forward as not using the carbon in the first place as trees are a ‘short term’ sink I seem to remember future forest work/calculate on a 99 year period for replacing the carbon that was used for a flight etc. Fossil fuels have been ‘stored’ for a little bit lot longer than this!

I think planting trees is a nice idea, but I always think of Leo Dicaprio flying about on his private jet and then planting trees to make himself feel better.

I don’t say this to belittle your efforts, it’s just that I am this boring!
B)

#5 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:28 PM

It can help (as long as they are really trees that wouldn't otherwise have been planted) but only in the short term. When they die, the carbon gets released again.

Thanks for the links, Jannism. I have used Future Forests too; I suppose it's probably better than nothing, but next time I fly I might try a charity instead. Otherwise it'll have to be the cabbage-powered charabanc to Clacton next summer.

#6 Laura

Laura

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

Try this, work out your eco footprint.

http://www.earthday....rint/index.asp#

:D