Butcher for Christmas Turkey

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

Can anyone recommend a local butchers where I can order my Christmas turkey? Last year I used the butchers in Sydenham which was ok - but I wondered if there were any in SE19. The only one I've been recommended is in Croydon which is less convenient. I know there's one in East Dulwich which always has a massive queue outside it - but surely we have somewhere on or near the triangle?

BTW I am a Riverfords customer - so does anyone know if they supply free range turkeys? I did try to call my delivery man (Gerrard) to ask him, but he's gone on holiday - which makes me wonder if I'll get a box this week?"!$

Anyway... any recommendations would be most welcome!

Thanks
Bex
x

#2 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

The nearest butchers I know of is in Addiscombe, on the high street. I know it's not SE19 but it's slightly more local than Croydon and last year they were doing organic turkeys too. They're a good quality outfit who I can wholeheartedly recommend.

On the mail order/interweb tip, I would again suggest Brown Cow Organics. They're not cheap but I cannot stress highly enough the quality of their produce.

#3 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:26 PM

Bex

Jannism's right - the one in Addiscombe is the best bet locally.

If you don't mind travelling a little further try Hennessy Butchers on Northcote Road in Battersea.

Their telephone number is 0207 228 0894.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#4 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

Do you definitely want free-range turkey? There's a good butcher in Rosendale Road in West Dulwich but I don't know if they do free range (but wouldn't be surprised), or even recall the name.
aka Pie

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:35 PM

Think it's called Scotch Meats. It's been praised on here before.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Lilian

Lilian

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

I've been told there's a fantastic new butcher on Lordship Lane - I'll try and find out the details for you.

#7 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

Abel and Cole are doing organic turkeys (and ducks and geese) for Christmas.

www.abel-cole.co.uk

I heard (can't remember where) that turkey farmers are having to keep their turkeys inside to protect them from catching bird flu so strictly they won't be able to call their birds free range.....
JAM

#8 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

I've been ordering a bronze turkey for some years from Scotch Meats in Rosendale Road - I've never had the courage to ask about its quality of life before being pushed over the counter at me, but it has certainly been tastier than the ones I used to get from a local farm when I lived in the country (although that may have been something to do with the barter system we used - sacks of spuds & sprouts in exchange for a turkey - we may not have got the best :) ) But it is best to place an order with Scotch Meats - they are v. popular & while they do have some turkeys for chance callers you may not get the size you really want - mind you, the queue for order collection on Christmas Eve sometimes trails along the whole parade of shops...

#9 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:42 AM

Try these guys.... award-winning, free-range and they do organic. The meat is delicious :P

http://www.kelly-turkeys.com

Oh - and they deliver to your door.

Edited by Elmo, 16 November 2005 - 11:43 AM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#10 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

I've been to the Kelly turkeys farm and they are all so well looked after and happy you wouldn't believe it. This is shown in how delicious the meat is and is a welcome return for the recently out of fashion Bronze variety. I know it's not local but they really are worth it and it's so important to support ethical and worthy food producers.

#11 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:54 PM

I've been to the Kelly turkeys farm and they are all so well looked after and happy you wouldn't believe it.

I've only seen pics of the place so that's good to hear. The turkey breast we ordered last year was enough to feed 4! Tasted wonderful as well :D
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#12 Guest_ginner_*

Guest_ginner_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:24 AM

What ever happened to the days where you could throw a shiny six pence to a young scallywag and he would fetch you the finest largest goose in the whole of london!! :rolleyes:

and you used to get carol singers. (don't actually like them - money grabbers, but it does add to the feel of crimbo)

#13 Crofty

Crofty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:37 PM

Yet another vote for the Addiscombe butchers. We have been going there for at least the last 15 years.

#14 Guest_ginner_*

Guest_ginner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

Crofty,

is that your greeny purpley mini??? i think you passed me the other day on south norwood hill.

#15 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for all your replies. In the end I have ordered my turkey thorugh Murray Bros Butchers on Penge High Street. I would have ordered a Kellys Turkey but they are very expensive (probably worth it but still...!). I really hope CP gets its own butchers eventually - would be nice to have one a bit nearer.
:)