• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 01:50 PM

P'raps if anyone is going down there, they might suggest getting an email set up for people who would like to join petition but can't make it to the centre in the foreseeable future?

#17 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:12 PM

phatandlong said "Knock it down, cover it with grass and turn it back into parkland.... much nicer"

excellent news about the petition....

but confused....

phatandlong - what converted you? you said you wanted to see the centre bulldozed not so long back. :P

#18 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 11:25 PM

Signed petition but the place seems to get worse every time I go down !

If it was kept open & not refurbed they may as well tear it down or it will probably fall down on its own.

Shame

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#19 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 01:10 PM

P'raps if anyone is going down there, they might suggest getting an email set up for people who would like to join petition but can't make it to the centre in the foreseeable future?

I doubt it - the web site I designed for the centre hasn't been updated since the present management took it over several years ago. They aren't interested in developing their web presence.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#20 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:35 PM

There was an interview on Radio 4 Today programme about the sports centre a couple of days ago. I think they were interviewing a chap from Sport England. They suggested they needed to keep the running track, but not the rest, and it would close in March and probably be bulldozed, maybe to be replaced with something new, depending on funding.

I was half asleep at the time, so may have got the wrong end of the stick, but that seemed to be the story.

#21 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:10 AM

Ken has just thrown Bromley an £18m rescue package. See this topic http://www.virtualno...p?showtopic=514

#22 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:17 AM

The sports centre can't be knocked down, its a grade II listed building. A great example of 60's architecture...?!

Elmo :ph34r:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#23 richard moore

richard moore

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 09:50 PM

As those who have had some experince of English Heritage will know they can be a strange beast. Supposidly they were going to protect the palace site but seem to have changed their minds when the Architect gave them a presentation. Indeed the then chair stated that the proposed deign was a excellent interpretation of the old Crystal Palace and in the same style. ( Wrong the old place was a post and beam consruction and the new design was not.) and guess what The architect then gets onto the english heritage board So it really is a case of wheels within wheels

I am afraid to say that this whole area is so contentious I would not be surprised if english heritage de listed the building if they had enough strings pulled behind the scenes I can think of a relativey local minister ie Tessa Jowel Minister for arts and culture ( at the time of writing enjoying our world cup win - well done lads) who is also responcible for Heritage putting her oar in one way or onther so don't be too sure please

#24 Sarah

Sarah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:38 AM

Noticed last night that the green fence has finally disappeared. Looks so much better!

#25 Laura

Laura

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:46 PM

Are there any updates on the sports centre/athletics stadium? Is it being knocked down, redeveloped or just ignored?

:huh:

As I understand it for the stadium to be ready for the Summer meets, work has to start now, in January, for the building/structure to be complete! :(

#26 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:36 AM

From this weeks oral questions to the Dept for Culture, Media & Sport ...

---------------------------
Crystal Palace Sports Centre
Mrs. Jacqui Lait (Beckenham) (Con): What discussions she has had on the future of Crystal Palace sports centre. [145834]

The Minister for Sport and Tourism (Mr. Richard Caborn): Owing to the constituency interest of my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State in respect of Crystal Palace, I am dealing with this question.

I discuss Crystal Palace with the chairman and chief executive of Sport England on a regular basis. On 26 November, I also attended a meeting with the Mayor of London, the chairman of Sport England and representatives from the London borough of Bromley to discuss the matter.

Mrs. Lait: I am grateful to the Minister for that reply, and I understand the Secretary of State's difficulties with this issue, which I am sure he will realise is directly a constituency interest of mine. He will be aware that, on 18 December, his colleague Lord McIntosh stated:

It is likely that the closure of the centre for redevelopment under the discussions that are currently taking place will form a part of any agreed solution."-[Official Report, House of Lords, 18 December 2003; Vol. 655, c.181W.]

I have recently received a copy of a letter from Colin Kirkwood, a former president of Beckenham swimming club, to the Mayor of London. The letter argues that the pool at Crystal Palace should not be shut before any new facilities are in place. I urge the Minister to give me some assurances about that, because the centre is crucial for high-performance athletes and the nearest Olympic-size pool is situated in Dunkirk.

Mr. Caborn: The hon. Lady raises a number of questions. First, there is an agreement that Sport England will withdraw from the deal on 31 March 2004. Bromley has known about that agreement for a considerable period, and that is what we are working towards. We would want to keep the facilities in operation, and we believe that the proposition made by the Mayor of London to take over their running, which is part of the discussions and negotiations that are currently going on-I hope that they will be successful-will see their continuation. Although there may be redevelopment in terms of the track, we hope that that can be decoupled from the sports facilities so that we can continue to run the athletics grands prix this year.

I say to the hon. Lady that, unless that is done by the end of January, it will be very difficult to run grands prix here. My Department is working hard with the Mayor and other Departments to try to achieve that objective. I want the track to continue and I would like to see a new facility. Community usage is now at more than 80 per cent. Sport England is there not to run facilities, but to take a strategic overview for sport. The running of facilities is for local authorities, the private sector or joint ventures.

Mr. Nick Hawkins (Surrey Heath) (Con): Does the Minister recognise that the work that he is seeking to do to try to broker a deal, if I can put it that way, to keep Crystal Palace open is crucial in terms of the prospects for our Olympic bid? Not only do many potential future Olympians use Crystal Palace as their training base, as my hon. Friend the Member for Beckenham (Mrs. Lait) said, but most unfortunate signals would be sent if Crystal Palace were seen to close. I know that he cares about the prospect of the Olympic bid as much as me, and, I am sure, hon. Members in all parts of the House, but will he recognise that, as part of the Government's job of leadership, it is vital that we do not see chains and padlocks on Crystal Palace at the end of March?

Mr. Caborn: We are working very hard to ensure that those padlocks do not appear. As part of the wider Olympic bid, we are considering proposals for an aquatic centre that I hope will provide the type of 50 m pool facilities to which he is referring. Indeed, that is being discussed not only at a community level in the sport, but with the governing body, the swimming association. That process will continue to ensure coverage throughout the country in terms of such facilities. On Crystal Palace, we will continue to try to ensure that a deal is done, and we will try to ensure that the athletics grand prix also takes place. That three-way deal will have to be done. I understand from Sport England that we have continued to support the facilities in Bromley way beyond any other facilities for community use. A decision should be made by the end of March.

#27 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:38 AM

More from Jacqui Lait on Crystal Palace (speaking in the 2nd Reading debate
of Olympics lottery Bill) ...

----------------
Jacqui Lait: That brings me, dare I say it, to Crystal Palace. Having had
the opportunity of questioning the Minister about the future of that
facility on Monday, I have to say that I came away more confused than when
I started. There is an obvious confusion and a difficulty, which is the
need to separate the running track from the sports building. I welcome the
Minister's acknowledgement of the problem, as well as his commitment to put
money into the running track so that grand prix events can take place this
July, provided that decisions are made by the end of January.

There is confusion about the sports facilities at Crystal Palace. The
Minister and other Members will know that Crystal Palace is the only site
with a 50 m swimming pool. However, its sports facilities are also home to
many elite athletes in various sports, including basketball, weightlifting,
judo, karate and hockey. It is feared that in any transfer of the lease
from Bromley council to the London Mayor-a project that I support-sports
facilities will be closed before new facilities are provided. Some of the
new facilities will have grassroots benefits, as they are community
facilities, but there is also a need for top-level athletes to have
training resources in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics. It is not clear
whether the sports facilities will be closed before any new facilities are
opened.

At the moment, the development of Crystal Palace appears to be funded, in
one form or another, by public sector money, including, dare I say,
national lottery money. However, there is a suggestion that there could be
private sector involvement to deliver high quality sports facilities as
part of a regeneration package for Crystal Palace. The Mayor of London
supports that proposal, as he has talked about providing hotels at the top
site. That is a controversial subject, but it is not impossible to put
together a regeneration package that would provide high quality facilities
at Crystal Palace and would retain its existing facilities. It is crucial,
not just for people in the five boroughs around Crystal Palace but for all
of south London, that the impact of the 2012 Olympics on their facilities
is made clear as soon as possible. That will help them to feel involved in
the developments and will allow them to understand the long-term legacy
after 2012. The Olympics will generate excitement and interest, and I
expect the games to be hugely successful in London and the rest of the UK.
However, it is important that people grasp the legacy created by the
increased council tax that they will have to pay.

#28 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 01:07 PM

On BBC1 London Evening News last night they announced that the swimming pool is to remain open, and the athletics track is to close for resurfacing and be ready in time for the Athletics Grand Prix (August). Also, that Bromley have agreed in principal to share the running of the NSC with the Mayor and Sport England.

#29 foxy

foxy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:19 PM

Looks like it's been savedů

http://news.bbc.co.u...ics/3516145.stm

#30 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:42 PM

The real news here is the fact the current facility will be replaced with a "community" facility in the longer term - post 2006. This will be elsewhere in the park.

There's a real opportunity for local residents to influence the kind of centre we want... I'd like to see a 50m pool but also a decent gym and a really good, big sports hall. The London Development Agency would take the lead.

And what do people think of a major sports team using the arena?

Not sure if I'd like to see Crystal Palace FC back at the park. It would cause major disruption on saturdays and flood the triangle with fans.

Elmo :ph34r:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter