98 replies to this topic

#16 mike73

mike73

Mike

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:23 PM

James isn't personally Corgi qualified but has an engineer colleague who most definately is.

#17 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

We are in a quandry and need a builder or building company that can provide us with professional advice. We've had major renovations ongoing, but have fallen into the very unfortunate situation of paying too much in advance, having things not written in a cast-iron contract, trusing our builder to act also as our project manager, and the builder now taking off with (as we see it) a load of our money and the job unfinished. But before we get all bent out of shape about it (i.e. assembling papers for small claims court) we need to get some estimates on the approximate value of the work that has been done. It might be that we should just cut our loses with this builder and get the work finished by someone else. Or it might be that we've been heavily fleeced. The Citizen's Advice Bureau suggested we should get a professional perspective on the situation. But its turning out to be tricky to find a builder, surveyor, etc who will do this small job. Any suggestions?

#18 theyesman

theyesman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

Dear all VN's

I've had an unfortunate issue with the flat upstairs, which has leaked in to my flat destroying....

Ceiling - needs plastering
Electric box - needs checking as water was dripping from box at one point
Carpet and wood beneth carpet - may need replacing as both a soaking wet
Lights and fittings - needs checking as water was dripping from them

I have looked through all of the recommendations for these services, but don't have the time to see them all individually to get quotes. Does anyone know of any building contractors that they would recommned that could give me a quote for all the work, so I can discuss with the flat upstairs how much this damage will take to repair. Leading to the insurance company paying out

Sorry if this has already been discussed

Thanks

xx

#19 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:00 PM

We've had a very tough time getting written quotes. We've had 7 people in so far and only had 2 return anything written, though a few more are promised. This is over almost 4 months.

I'd suggest: PPR Builders in Croydon, tel: 0208-777-6681 (Ian Smith) or
Strongcastle Builders Ltd
120 White Horse Rd
Croydon, CR0 2JF
020 8665 7129

We've seen both, they seem responsible and competent and they come recommended from 1) a neighbour who has used one in a long-term (15 year) maintenance contract (for PPR) and 2) a buidling surveyor (for Strongcastle). Both seem able to do the full suit of work you need.

good luck.

(and PM me if you have other people to recommend, since we are basically still looking since we need 3 written quotes)

#20 top o' the hill

top o' the hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

I know a good builder, who has just carried out extensive work on our house (fitting kitchen and bathroom, which included knocking down interior walls, fitting a wooden floor and so forth). His name is Jim Coffey: 07956 476638. My parenbts also used him to do their roof several years ago and he's also quoting on a neighbour's extension. He pretty much does everything, and to a v. high standard.

#21 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

cheers

this may help to re-develop my property, in case I donít find the property I am looking for (which at this pace seems very UNLIKELY to happen)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#22 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

I have not had much work done by this guy but my friend has had a house done up by his team. He has done some building work for me in Bulgaria which was really making safe a monument building, He worked on a power of attorney; getting all the propoer permissions for me. He speaks very good english. Another friend of mine was going to employ him to do up their Bulgarian house but they ran out of money and had to pospone for six months so he came to England to fill the gap ion his work schedule. Like I say I only have my good freind's reccomendation but he is very easy to get on with, very friendly and as a plumbing agency here watched him work for a day and asked him back, I assume he knows what he is doing.

I trust him and like him a lot so I am trying to get him some decent jobs but because I have no personal experience of his work you would have to suss him out yourself. I shall be employing him. His primary field I believe is plumbing but I am sure he could handle any building work. My feeling is that because of the position he finds himself in, someone could benefit from his expertise at this time. His name is Jordan and he can be contacted through me.

#23 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hi there

Thanks a lot but I managed to find a builder who is patiently listening to my requests Ö when I say listening I mean: I am threatening him he he he

He seems to be sorted the first preliminary quote seemed decent. But doubt I will have any work done before September (waiting for planning permission to replace windows) so you have to watch this space for my comments.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#24 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:03 PM

Can anyone here recommend a building contractor who can cope with a single-storey house extension? Preferably a VN-er with first-hand knowledge! We have planning permission etc and need to send out tender documents soon. Most of the recomendations here are for smaller jobs. Thanks!
aka Pie

#25 diana

diana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:46 PM

Dear All,
I am new to the area. Can anyone recommend good builder?
many thanks

#26 adam1982

adam1982

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

I had a single storey extension built to the rear of our garden flat last year. The extension incorporated a new kitchen and bathroom. The guy we got in had a team of people that he called upon and we are very pleased with the resulting work at what seemed a very reasonable price. Please PM me if you are interested in getting his details.

#27 Sintay

Sintay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hello

We're considering an extension on our ground floor flat to make our one bedder a two bedder which may inlcude moving our bathroom & obviously applying for planning permission. Do we need to get an architect type in to see what can be done or would a VN recommended builder be able to do that?

#28 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

I can recommend Paul Barnard as a general builder (not in response to the query about getting planning permission - for that I would get an architect, although a builder should be able to advise on the latest building regulations and what is possible).

Paul, and his colleague Mark, have redone two bathrooms in our house. He does painting/decorating, bathrooms, gardens and kitchens. Can do plumbing and electrics. His number is 07711 518 856, but he is in demand so you might have to wait a while before he can do the job. He works in the Crystal Palace, Dulwich, Forest Hill, Norwood area. Doesn't go further afield as a rule.

#29 Fritz

Fritz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

Need a small area of repointing done (less than a m2 ) plus a brick replacing. Only problem is its exterior first floor and not sure if possible to be done off a ladder or will require small tower. Anyone know of a reputable builder/brickie who could do this? Cheers in advance :rolleyes:

#30 crystal tips

crystal tips

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

I had a single storey extension built to the rear of our garden flat last year. The extension incorporated a new kitchen and bathroom. The guy we got in had a team of people that he called upon and we are very pleased with the resulting work at what seemed a very reasonable price. Please PM me if you are interested in getting his details.

hello adam,
we are looking for a builder to do a similar job and its such a minefield! i would really appreciate your recommendation!
thanks chris