• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#46 Roxy

Roxy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

I need a wall taken down in my kitchen and the ceiling will need support. Any other recommendations for builders gratefully received. Roxy

#47 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

I and some friends in the area have used David O'Brien (07960 938621) - does all building work, plumbing, electrics etc and comes recommended.

#48 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

I can thoroughly recommend J.R.Read, they have done a number of jobs for me (knocking out a chimney breast, plastering a ceiling, fitting spotlights, replacing the fuse box, paving the front garden) and all have been to a high standard, on top of that they are all friendly and tidy (as much as possible given the amount of dust that was flying about!)

#49 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

Renown Smith have done a great job for me with various structural indoor/outdoor works and definitely going to use again. Happy to recommend if anyone wants the details!

#50 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

I'm currently using Renown Smith too (pretty major exterior work).

Thus far, I'm impressed and would recommend them - friendly, hard working bunch (7.30 starts!). I'll post more details once the work is complete - something I would've liked to find here myself.

#51 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

any rec is welcome - putting in new bathroom + some minor works
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#52 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

I'm happy to see that a bunch of people are using Renown Smith and are satisfied with them! I found them the right balance of good job, efficient, courteous, and reasonably priced. Some fine-scale details might have been done better if we paid piles more money, but all in all they are great.

#53 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:39 PM

I promised a few more details... We used Renown Smith to demolish an old exterior lean-to and staircase to the garden. They then replaced this with a wooden balcony and stairwell, which we're more than happy with. The whole thing was complete in just over a week. As I said - very friendly, and proved very diplomatic with some very awkward neighbours.

#54 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

I notice Izzy above ^^ has recomended David O'Brien (07960 938621), and I agree wholeheartedly. He and his team, Alison, Mickey, Frank, John and Darren, did an amazingly good job for us, swapping our kitchen and bathroom around, rebuilding both to a very high spec of our design (we're both very into our cooking, and were very particular about how the kitchen would work, plus I'm a draughtsman...), reflooring both in terracotta, and reflooring the rest of the flat with lovely oak floors. They also redid the bog and Frank did a fantastic tiling job on the unusually shaped floor. They did all this in a mere 19 days (a working month minus a Bank Holiday), were on site every day, were good humoured and pleasant to be around (we were living there throughout), did a brilliant cleaning job every day, and had a cleaning team in on the last day, and all for a pretty reasonable price. Mind you, they cleaned us out of fresh coffee and tea every few days!

:) :) :) :) :)
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#55 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

A bit cheeky to ask but how much do you think Smith and other recommended would charge to knock out a chimney breast and put in an rsj. And making it safe structurally. I was thinking around 600 or so...or am I way off?

I am less worried about the plastering etc. as got someone that can do that and basically it is for a ktichen area where it is all going to be completely gutted and replastered etc. after the chimney works and I have recovered. (I am keen to use the same people that did my bathroom for the refit as they were good). And also got a friend who can help with some of this stuff as well...Who works well with this team.

#56 spenfound

spenfound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

I can definitely recommend David O'Brien for any building work needing done, he and his team did a fantastic job converting a room in our flat this february.We needed plumbers,electricians,carpenters- the lot! He was extremely helpful in helping us plan out the job, handling all the council stuff, structural engineers etc. The team always went out of their way to keep everything neat and tidy and turned up on site very day on time(major plus in my book!!) Frank in particular was a real star, doing all the knocking through and putting new steels in under the stairs. The carpenter John did such a great job building some cupboards to hide our boiler that we ended up using them again to put in a new wooden floor throughout the flat!

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, Davids number is 07960 938621

#57 paddykelly69

paddykelly69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

I can definitely add my recommendations for Big Al for the smaller jobs. Fixed a down pipe on our gutter. Called when he said he would and did the work at a very reasonable price.

Can only warn people from using Westall Construction - <snip> - best avoided.

Edited by Nick, 31 March 2009 - 12:36 AM.
Edit: Some details have been removed for legal reasons but potential customers are welcome to contact this member to ask for more details about the problems.

#58 mandyt

mandyt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

me too -- does anyone know of a good surveyor or a builder? a builder competent enough to look after building regulations and to advise on a basic conversion would be perfect.

#59 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

David O'Brien has recently done a bathroom for me and I am still in a state of shock (in a good way) and delight at how well it has all turned out and what an amazingly good job they've done (after several other builders shook their heads and tutted a lot and told me that the things I wanted done weren't possible) - his team have worked a miracle.

I am already discussing the next stage of my renovation project with them and, having struggled before to find anyone good to advise on removing a wall, they were able to provide a structural engineer to help with this and (fingers crossed), things will soon be well under way.

Also really impressive on the small stuff - they got me the initial quote for the bathroom job in less than a week, whereas the previous builder I'd been dealing with took 2 months just to get me a quote, let alone a potential date for starting the work!

Very happy to recommend and discuss in more detail the work they've done if anyone wants to send me a PM.

#60 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:07 AM

I was just wondering if any-one had used Arron Davies from A.K Assistance based in Upper Norwood for any building work before, and if so, how you found their work?