• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#76 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

I'm aware that this is becoming something of a David O'Brian fanclub thread, but I thought it only fair to add our recommendation too, as it was from reading posts here that we came to contact him and we too have had a very good experience.

[...]

So yes, we would definitely recommend getting David round to quote if you're thinking of getting work done (I'd go so far as to say you'd be daft not to!).

Toby, your experience with David's team sounds very much like mine! When I think back to my house this time last year and all the work that was done between Easter-September it feels completely overwhelming, I'm not sure how I got through it all, but the final result is SO worth it and I am delighted with all the compliments and praise the house is getting.

David's team have now done some work for my brother too and I've recommended him to at least 2 others. Love the fact that VN and the word-of-mouth effect can do such good work...

#77 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Can anyone recommend a good local builder/ decorator? The ceiling in my dining room fell through last week as a result of the neighbours bath upstairs leaking :angry:

Thanks

#78 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Sounds like you need a good plasterer. There are a few recommendations on this forum including Lindsay who we used last year: HG Plastering - based here in C Palace - contact Lindsay tel 07771 570 453. A very efficient response, well-carried out and a good price.
aka Pie

#79 seamus m

seamus m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

After looking through recommendations for builders on this site for someone to replace a bathroom (including lighting, ceiling, insulation, plumbing, plastering, floor, tiling - the works) we got a number of quotes and eventually went with a "family builder" called Steve. His quote was lower than most and he did a very good job. He was here when he said he would be, did the work in good time, didn't spring any surprises and also didn't flinch when we added a number of jobs. I would thoroughly recommend him and his work. Very good workmanship, reliable, clean and very very reasonable. Steve: 07979 621400.

#80 Lorlorkins

Lorlorkins

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Yet another thumbs up for David O'Brien and his great team. My first flat, I was totally new to the whole refurbishment thing - and luckily I wasn't even living there for most of the time!

I had a bathroom ripped out and completely redone, flooring ripped out with acoustic flooring laid and a wooden floor floated on that, tons of rewiring, a skim and painting job in three rooms, glass in the windows replaced. They were pretty darn good, are giving a nice long period of time for the inevitable snagging you get when you move in somewhere and the price was reasonable. In addition, the team were nice to my new neighbours and sorted out any problems quickly and politely; they picked up smaller jobs that needed doing; and advised on practical solutions to problems that occurred on the way. Communication has been excellent throughout, too. Basically, although the whole experience was one of the most stressful of my life, I felt confident that we'd get through it and in their professionalism to see it through. And it's been worth it - I can barely go to sleep at night for loving the transformation of my flat, and my friends and family think it looks amazing. Those who know about these things are really impressed with the quality of the work done.

Maybe if I manage to save up a bit more we can start looking at the kitchen a few years down the line!

Would thoroughly recommend. I've a bottle of champagne waiting for them when they're ready to collect.

#81 Mrs D

Mrs D

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

We're looking for someone to do a few (hopefully) minor jobs - putting in some airbricks to improve ventilation, fitting thermostats to our radiators and installing a radiator in the bathroom. Any recommendations? I'm conscious that it's not a big project, so not sure whether that many builders / plumbers will be interested.

#82 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

We're looking for someone to do a few (hopefully) minor jobs - putting in some airbricks to improve ventilation, fitting thermostats to our radiators and installing a radiator in the bathroom. Any recommendations? I'm conscious that it's not a big project, so not sure whether that many builders / plumbers will be interested.

Should be right up Steve at SH Plumbings street.... give him a bell or email him...

They come quickly, sorted out the problem and were very reasonablly priced.

Tel: 07711 670651
email: SHPlumbing.Heating@gmail.com
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#83 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

Can anyone recommend a good local builder/ decorator? The ceiling in my dining room fell through last week as a result of the neighbours bath upstairs leaking :angry:

Thanks

I would highly recommend David O'Brien who runs a One-Stop business which prides itself on being able to cope with any sort of building problem even down to Landscape Gardening. We have used him for building, plastering, tiling, plumbing, electrical work, demolition, carpentry, bricklaying and flooring. Even the worst sort of job is done with speed and good humour (details on application). Proper estimates are submitted and the work is completed without interruption or delays - a rare feature in my experience. Household pets, belongings, privacy and silence are all respected. The work is done and completed to a high standard and final payment is requested only on completion and when the customer is completely satisfied. They will even return to do snagging after payment has been made (it's usually difficult enough to get anyone to finish their snagging even when you owe them money). Best way of reaching him is on his mobile: 07960-938-621

Anopheles
:rolleyes:

#84 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Another thumbs up for David O'Brien and his Team. My Partner and I have used David before for various building and landscaping work but he came to the rescue of my Mum this weekend when her ceiling collapsed - rotten rafters. He has made the area safe and is coming back later this week with his structural engineer to start the repairs. He was very quick to respond - appreciating the urgency of the situation and dealt with it quickly and relatively painlessly. His team are always very polite and I am pleased to say, have left my Mum's house clean which is remarkable given the mess a ceiling makes! His number is 07960 938621.

#85 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

I agree, David and his team of talented professionals are extremely good at what they do; we moved in to a tip of a flat, and in precisely one month they swapped the kitchen and bathroom, fitting both out beautifully, laid gorgeous timber floors throughout (and made bespoke skirting boards to go with therm) , made lots of dodgy surfaces good, overhauled the heating, and sent in a team of cleaners on the last day to leave the place sparkling from top to bottom. On our other flat, he completely overhauled the electrics las, once again doing a quick and clean job on it.

And, as Izzy says above, his team are nice people too...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#86 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hiya, Does David have an email contact?

#87 Moffatt

Moffatt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Is David O'Brien still recommended?  I have been ploughing through TrustATrader, but have been told that that website doesn't print negative reviews.  I know I can trust reviews on here, so I hope there is definitely a good, trustworthy builder out there somewhere!

Fingers crossed :)

#88 burntsmell

burntsmell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

I'd also like to know if David O'Brien is still recommended, or if there are any other builders/decorators who would be recommended. I have some internal work to carry out (skim and paint walls and ceiling) and roof and eaves to inspect.

#89 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

He is currently working for me, I will let you know when job ends!! So far so good! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#90 tekton23

tekton23

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi,

Just wondering how this worked out and if anyone has any more recommendations?

Thanks,

T23