• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#16 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:39 AM

After seeing Tom the Mechanic featured here, we rang him yesterday to sort out our smelly non-draining washing machine. He came round yesterday evening and sorted it out at a very reasonable rate, and I'm told was very pleasant to deal with too. Top marks all round, and thanks to Dazza (and everyone else!) for recommending him! :)

KitKat

xx

#17 Hedgehog11

Hedgehog11

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

Used Tom very recently to deal with a washer dryer that was developing some worrying noises.

A friendly and prompt service at a fair price!

#18 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

This guy sounds fantastic, but does anyone know if he also does dishwashers and electric oven elements, or is he just a washing machine person?

#19 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:01 AM

hello,

tom did fix my dishwasher - if he can't fix it, I think he has got a friend who can help

I would give him a try! Very nice guy too

P :)

Edited by James, 29 November 2007 - 10:10 AM.
Duplicate Posts

..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#20 smiley

smiley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:01 PM

Just dropped by to say I've recently used Tom again to fix the same washing machine he repaired last time. Again he did the job perfectly and at a reasonable cost. I recommend again. :)

#21 janeyp

janeyp

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Just adding my thumbs-up for Tom. Called him this morning following recommendations on VN, he popped round this evening and resuscitated my machine back to life! Friendly, efficient service at a great price. Tom's yer man!

#22 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

I am afraid that my experience with Tom has not been as positive as everyone else's! He did come round, but wouldn't even look at the dishwasher, because he said that he can't do them, so that's fair enough, I suppose. But he went away to order the parts for the cooker, and hasn't been back since. He told me when he would be here, and I actually left work early in order to be back on time, but no show and no contact. When I phoned him, a couple of days later, he had completely forgotten, and didn't even have the part. I am now waiting for him to phone me back to tell me when he will be getting that part, so that he can come and fit it, and that was over a week ago.

So, sorry, and I don't know why my experiences are so different, but I am getting pretty hacked off right now.... I am still without a working oven! Does anyone know someone (other than Tom!) who can fit new elements into electric ovens?

#23 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

See the topic for Electric Oven Repairs...
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=3619

European.vote - EU Referendum

#24 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

The topic for electric oven repairs doesn't seem to have any recommendations, either!

Tom still hasn't fixed my oven, despite loads of calls from me. He has a different excuse each time. And he wouldn't even look at my dishwasher!

Strange....

#25 new_boy_in_town

new_boy_in_town

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

Another recommendation here for Tom The Mechanic (T S Appliances) as recommended by Dazza and others. Based in SE27.

My washing machine wouldn't empty. A 20-minute job, dismantling and clearing-out the filter and pump and then checking. I'd never have found the filter myself. There's no mention of it in the destructions and, on my machine, you have to take the whole back cover off and tip the machine forward (when full of water - hmmm).

Anyway - 35 - very reasonable. I can imagine what some companies would have charged for call-out alone!

Tom's Mobile 07850 773867

#26 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

Saw Tom the mechanic on a do last Saturday he said to say Hi to all the norwood forum customers who are keeping him very busy. I told him he should go online join the forum & comment himself.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#27 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

He can't, he's always out on repair jobs.

#28 lamb

lamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for recommending Tom. Called him to look at my washing machine this morning, he'd fixed it by the afternoon. Reasonable price and I don't have to spend hours in launderette.

#29 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Another recommendation for Tom. He came within 3 hours of our phone call and managed to fix the machine at a very reasonable price. As it was 10 years old, and we though that we were going to have to replace it, we couldn't believe our luck...

#30 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

And again! Tom came round to fix our old washing machine - great service, sorted it promptly and cheaply.

I understand that people are less inclined to get washers etc repaired nowadays - they simply buy new items instead as they are now so (comparatively) cheap. Can't understand why when it's so easy to get things fixed (and cheaply too) by someone like Tom, and so much more sustainable too.