57 replies to this topic

#31 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

Hi there,

Does anyone know if Tom the Mechanic is still around? We tried him a few times recently about our washer and left voicemail msgs, but haven't heard back from him.

Hope that i. he's ok and ii. he's still repairing washing machines. I guess he may have changed his mobile number (did we scare him away??).

Many thanks,
Kitkat

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:14 PM

I can confirm his number is still active just to confirm it again 07850 773867 just spoke to him & told him to check his messages.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#33 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Dazza, that's really good of you.

#34 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

I knew it was still working as he keeps sending me really rude & smutty texts.

Dazza

#35 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

My dishwasher has died so I called Tom..he gave me the number of another guy called John Willard, 0208 974 1561. Apparently Tom used to work with him. He came around, nice guy and made some sensible suggestions to try and save me some money. He didn't actually do any repairing work as he pointed out my machine parts are still under guarantee but I think this was very honest of him, and he did diagnose the problem.

#36 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

Hi there, has anyone got any other suggestions? I phoned Tom and he said no longer works, and gave me John's details, and I've been trying to ring him for ages, but there is no reply.

#37 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi there, has anyone got any other suggestions? I phoned Tom and he said no longer works, and gave me John's details, and I've been trying to ring him for ages, but there is no reply.

Now I need my washing machine repaired too! :( As Simply Me says, John's phone rings and rings and then a voicemail with a female voice kicks in...

#38 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

Sorry Guys

Toms moved onto pastures new . I did know that & should have mentioned earlier apologies. I will try to find a new contact for all ASAP.

Dazza

#39 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

Much appreciated, Dazza! I think the condenser unit just needs de-fluffing (an internet search tells me), but I'm not confident at taking off and then successfully replacing the back of the machine and am reluctant to pay someone as much as the quoted £80 to do it for me!

#40 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Have just had a Saturday-morning visit from Alex Gabriel of Gabriel Speedy Repairs (020-8692-7959; no mobile but ansaphone regularly checked), who was recommended on both the Brockley (where he is based) and East Dulwich forums. I can thoroughly recommend him. He charged a very reasonable £30 (no VAT payable) to free my stuck pump. His is a family business - he too it over from his father - and he also mends fridges, freezers and ovens. He works late evenings too.

#41 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

Thank you GillW for recommending Alex. He came Saturday morning, took washing machine door away to fix broken catch (didnít realise my own strength!!) and re-fitted last night. He said he fits the work in around you so youíre not inconvenienced. Lovely man as well.

#42 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Thank you GillW for recommending Alex. He came Saturday morning, took washing machine door away to fix broken catch (didnít realise my own strength!!) and re-fitted last night. He said he fits the work in around you so youíre not inconvenienced. Lovely man as well.

Delighted. :)

#43 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

just had Alex out - Brilliant...throughly recommended he told me he repairs dishwashers and all minor electrical stuff. fab, will defo use again. x

#44 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

We just used Alex from Speedy Repairs, too and the washing machine is as good as new (parts had worn out in the motor, which he replaced on the day, without the need to return another time). He was very prompt in returning my call and very pleasant to deal with. And a bargain, too. Can highly recommend!
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#45 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Have just had a Saturday-morning visit from Alex Gabriel of Gabriel Speedy Repairs (020-8692-7959; no mobile but ansaphone regularly checked), who was recommended on both the Brockley (where he is based) and East Dulwich forums. I can thoroughly recommend him. He charged a very reasonable £30 (no VAT payable) to free my stuck pump. His is a family business - he too it over from his father - and he also mends fridges, freezers and ovens. He works late evenings too.

Another great VN neighbourly tip. We just had a visit from Alex who replied to the message on his arrival home in the evening, and scheduled a visit for the next morning, helpfully accommodating his schedule to our work hours. He did the job thoroughly and speedily and arrived when he said he would (helpfully giving a call in advance). The news he had to deliver on our washer-dryer was not good, but he was unequivocal and frank. He gave us a useful professional's view of the what we might want to consider when we bought our replacement. It was a £30 call out charge only. Worth it to ascertain whether the lump of metal could be saved or not.

Now back from John Lewis (a business part owned by the staff), where we also had great sales help, we feel we've made the best choices under the circumstances. We've downgraded in some respects (to washer only), and upgraded in others, getting a more energy and water efficient machine with better quality parts, but fewer bells and whistles (which we never used in our more bling last washer/dryer).