Nutritionist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:53 PM

Can anyone recommend a local nutritionist or nutrition therapist, who can do food intolerance testing, skin allegies etc? I have already tried Planta on Westow Street but the number they gave me of a nutritionist in East Dulwich doesn't work. Holland and Barrett charge £56 and have a 3 week waiting list. Oasis in Croydon charge £60 excluding lab costs and I didn't like the sound of some of their tests.
Any contact names or advice would be appreciated.

#2 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

The Freed Clinic
351a Whitehorse Road, Croydon, Surrey, CR0 2HS
Tel: 020 8665 5042 Fax: 020 8689 2537
Email: enquiries@freedclinic.co.uk
Web: www.freedclinic.co.uk

I have absolutely no information good or bad on them but I came across them the other day whilst googling local health-related places.

I was just chuffed to finally find out who they are and what they do as I've passed the place for years without ever bothering to find out what it was...

#3 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

I wouldn't trust any place that used the Vega test.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ega_tests.shtml
http://www.mja.com.a.../vega/vega.html

#4 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:38 PM

Yup, it's complete quackery.

#5 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:28 PM

Thanks guys... I have emailed the Freed clinic.
:)

#6 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:23 AM

Have a look on this list :

Institute For Optimum Nutrition

The ION train nutritional therapists to a very high standard.

#7 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

Well, if you want to train snake oil salesmen, then an institute of snake oil salesmen is the best place to train them I suppose. The ION was founded by Patrick Holford, who has nothing more than a BSc in Psychology to his name. No medicine, biochemistry, chemistry degree, no PhD, not even a masters degree! However, he was awarded an honorary diploma by his own institute, and has appeared on the Vanessa Feltz show.

Edited by matt, 16 December 2005 - 10:51 AM.

#8 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

However, he was awarded an honorary diploma by his own institute, and has appeared on the Vanessa Feltz show.

A good recommendation that. ;)
aka Pie

#9 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

Nevertheless, ION therapists have a very good reputation and require a solid background in chemistry and biology before they can start training.

ION could be seen as leading the way in nutritional research, and as a result, superceding existing mainstream thinking its associated qualifications.

That's not to say that ION staff don't have mainstream qualifications, as I'm sure they do.

Don't see why appearing on tv should be a negative thing when trying to promote healthy eating.

#10 subee

subee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Can anyone provide a more recent recommendation for a nutritionist that does allergy testing?