Photo

The White Hart (CP)

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (146 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (62 votes [42.18%])

Percentage of vote: 42.18%

2. Good (54 votes [36.73%])

Percentage of vote: 36.73%

3. Average (14 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The White Hart
96 Church Road, SE19

Phone: 020 8771 9389

Edited by Nick, 04 December 2008 - 03:40 PM.
new phone number

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 BenMc

BenMc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

First night impressions:

Very friendly service.
Excellent collection of quality draught beers, lagers and wines. Felt like a kid in a sweet shop with so many to choose from. Belgian beers quite pricey - but then they are aren't they?
Comfy seats.
CP's first decent no smoking area pub.
We'll be back.
Let's hope they keep it up...

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

Anyone tried the food yet?
aka Pie

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

Blimey there is a lot going on in there.

They have far too many staff in fact nearly ratio 2- 1 customers. Those wicker chairs will never last either. Amazing 3 people in the kitchen just to cook chips. I wish I had a budget like that !

However the beer selection was good ! I think they may have a winner once they sort themselves out !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:08 AM

Do you know what I love the most about this place - they've got the old beer tankards like this:

http://www.thecandle...re/beer_mug.jpg

I've always loved these - I even use them at home - so pleased to have a place that is using them again.

I don't know about too much staff Dazza - I reckon it's just about right - they looked rushed off their feet last night.
:D

Edited by Crushed Mango 2, 09 December 2005 - 10:10 AM.

M A N G O

#6 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

They have far too many staff in fact nearly ratio 2- 1 customers. Those wicker chairs will never last either. Amazing 3 people in the kitchen just to cook chips. I wish I had a budget like that !

Wasn't everyone complaining about the lack and inefficiency of staff when it was O'Neills? Can't have it both ways. On their preview night the place became so busy that the staff numbers, considering there were more there than usual to train and get to know their way around, were easily kept busy by the numbers of punters. Perhaps you went at a quiet time Dazza?

Yes, Sylvester, I ate there and was well impressed - and I'm going back for more at the weekend. And when it's busy I think they'll need those 3 chefs!

I think it's great :D

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:38 AM

Its just economics I remember when O'Neills 1st opened when Barry Maguigan opened it ! It started up exactly the same lots off staff lots of buzz waitress service but that dropped off very quickly.

I think the pub is still owned by the same group as they seem to have an endless budget however this formula I would like to think will work a lot better.

I do think putting a kitchen in 1 side of the bar is a mistake though when it gets very crowded you will have too walk round the other side to the bar to get served then walk thru the crowd to return to your seat !

I really did enjoy the experience drinks were reasonably priced aswell however time will tell.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:44 AM

I do think putting a kitchen in 1 side of the bar is a mistake though when it gets very crowded you will have too walk round the other side to the bar to get served then walk thru the crowd to return to your seat !

But it's so nice to see the food being cooked in front of you, to know it's fresh and contains nothing but the ingredients it's supposed to.

#9 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

Went in around 3pm today for lunch and they weren't taking any more orders for food. Had to go home hungry :(
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#10 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:29 AM

Two thumbs up!

#11 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:00 AM

I went last Wednesday night, and had a couple of Belgian beers and a 'nice' hot choccy (no where near as good as La Bruschetta)

I liked the games, the beer, the layout etc. The punters were a mixed bunch- hello to those of you in last wednesday - and the whole place is just a tiny bit cheesy, which i love. I think the courtyard looks great for the summer.

I haven't tried the food yet though; might have to this week.

#12 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

I had lunch in there yesterday. I think they were having a few teething problems, as it took ages to come, and stopped serving around 1.30. They were very friendly, and apologetic about the wait. The food was very good (blue cheese and nut roast)... although I am not sure how discerning I was at that point as I wasn't entirely sober by the time it turned up...!!!

I really like the atmosphere - it actually had one which is more than O'Neils had!
Rachel
My link

#13 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

Excellent range of beers.
Decent music.

Although there were a couple of people there last night who thought they were in the Puzzle.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#14 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

and the whole place is just a tiny bit cheesy, which i love.

I know what you mean - it does feel, intentionally or otherwise, "demographically correct" - all boxes are ticked. But it has a good range of beers (Staropramen and Budweiser Budvar - thank you), proper seating and a lack of attitude.

#15 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

nice seating - and i like the fact they have a good area for non smokers!

I liked the fact people were taking the 'Guess Who' game very seriously by reading all the rules...ha ha

will try the food on the next trip there....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com