Photo

The White Hart (CP)

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (146 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (62 votes [42.18%])

Percentage of vote: 42.18%

2. Good (54 votes [36.73%])

Percentage of vote: 36.73%

3. Average (14 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#421 colincollings

colincollings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

we tried this. the drink was good and had a good feel in there. the service was good.
the toilets were ok. the clientelle were manly from the palace area I think.
we left at about 10.15 and walked down the hill. we got in about 11.
there are buses and trains but no tramlinks

#422 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

we tried this. the drink was good and had a good feel in there. the service was good.
the toilets were ok. the clientelle were manly from the palace area I think.
we left at about 10.15 and walked down the hill. we got in about 11.
there are buses and trains but no tramlinks

There were no tramlinks in Blackheath last time I drank there, also no hovercraft service to Denmark at approx 21:54 either. I found this irksome. The toilets (and their cube contents) were quite satisfactory so I may chance another visit.

#423 Chris Palace

Chris Palace

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

This pub did not have its own helipad and local hang gliding facilities were patchy at best. As for accessibility for the Newcastle Metro, forget it.
However the landlord was good enough to furnish me with a parachute and the toilets were so nice that I spend most of my time in there admiring the soap.

All in all, potatoes.

#424 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

hey - I like Colin Collings no nonsense reviews - he calls it like he sees it - i think ye doth jest at his expense - I'm with all the C's on his critique style - keep um coming Col - take no notice of these parodying pranksters

#425 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

Me too Chewy - I like that extra bit of personal info especially the bit about the clientelle being "manly". ;)

#426 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

ha ha ha, yes I thought so too Charlie!
Found CC's comment perfectly fine, straight forward and informative. Was wondering though why somebody living 45 minutes walk away (45 min down the hill that is!) would be bothered to find out about the local community room and posting a review. It never crossed my mind to join a community website in Dulwich or Sydenham or similar, and that's only 20 minutes walk away... MInd you, I don't go and have a drink in Sydenham or Dulwich, so maybe that's why... :blink:

#427 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

It can take Mr Bunny 45 mins down the hill from the White Hart - even though it only takes 5 on the way up.

I think it's a great to see a review from a non-local perspective.

#428 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

white hart was looking alot busier than the alma tonight - I think it has an advantage of having a more complex shape and alcoves you can hide in if its not too busy and you dont feel like youre rattling around. Think the Alma like the Sparrowhawk if its empty looks obv empty from the outside and people want a bit of (Russ Abbotts) atmosphere

sorry not much of a comment but thought it was about time the pub reviews got some action and the WHart aint been touched since 2011

#429 thekraken

thekraken

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I like this pub because of the Fruli but it is getting so grubby these days, so much so that I won't eat there anymore. It needs a good clean!

#430 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Have to agree with the WH slipping down the gastro pub league table but i would say its been on the slide for food and service for over a year - i do however (thru gritted teeth) have to praise the sparrahawk for both service and food as i was dragged kicking and screaming in there friday for a farewell drink and scoff and despite my negative view of gastropubs in general it was a lovely meal and the service was quick and cheerful ! (Hangs head in shame)

#431 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Just love pubs who fill up their place with board games, books & other gimmicks !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#432 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Have to be honest - dont get this gastro pub thing - what thats the big deal about just going out for a beer or whatever - stuffed mushrooms with artichoke rissotto? if you want to be discerning about food - go to a food place - lots of restaurants in CP for that kinda thing - pubs to me are places for getting a bit light headed in - loads of people munching on full blown meals in a watering hole - dont really get it - demarcation - rules! - pork scratchings and a pint - that ll do me

#433 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'm quite happy to get some decent food in a pub - added to which I loathe pork scratchings.

Had a lovely lamb burger in the Alma a couple of weeks ago - scrumptious!

#434 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Exactly thats why normal drinkers dont go to these pubs anymore so not to watch people gorging themselves on fast food !

Dazza

PS Its obviously the blight of Mc Ds people have grown up with this food & have now escalated to gourmet burgers !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#435 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Loathe McD burgers, and love the ones handmade by the Alma - come on Dazzler, that's like comparing a pack of processed 'stringy cheese ' to one of Manish's uber excellent Lancashire Bombs!

Might have to take you on a gourmet food tour of the triangle sometime :D (assuming that is that you can be persuaded to eat anywhere else than Palace Spice for once ;)).

Edited by Summit Lover, 29 May 2012 - 09:36 AM.