Photo

The White Hart (CP)

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (146 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (62 votes [42.18%])

Percentage of vote: 42.18%

2. Good (54 votes [36.73%])

Percentage of vote: 36.73%

3. Average (14 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

Every time I have ordered an orange juice the staff want to know who is it for & if he or she is over 21 (a couple of the staff dont even look 21) for someone who left our schooling system in 1983 it is very flattering but rather tedious.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:39 AM

Oh no! I love this place already and I'd rather have pernickity (is that a real word?) staff who care about what they do than slapdash teenyboppers who don't. Personally, I will forgive teething problems as I like the ambience. And free mince pies over Christmas were a nice touch!

#33 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

[font=Verdana]
Only been in once, about a week after it opened, had a nice feel about it and the staff were friendly but to be honest the food wasn't great - choice wise and taste wise! Will be going back to try it again though and if the food hasn't improved I'll just be drinking in there!
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#34 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

Might go for a couple of pints tonight.... been a bad day! :P
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#35 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:21 AM

Finally made it here for the first time on Friday. I thought it was pretty good on the whole. The music was too loud though and I found it difficult to have a conversation, which is what I had gone to the pub to do :rolleyes: . We had one drink here but ended up going to Numidie so we could have a proper chinwag.

Maybe I'm getting old :D .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#36 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'm with you on the music volume Gekko. The music's up too loud and as a result, people end up almost shouting at one another just to have a conversation. I was in there a couple of weeks back at the weekend and didn't stay for long because the noisy atmosphere just wasn't relaxing, however good the beer was. Don't get rid of the music altogether, but turn it down a bit!

Edited by elleme, 09 January 2006 - 02:45 PM.

#37 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

yeh my other half was in there last night and she commented on how loud the music was especially for a sunday evening - this is from someone whos a dj too!!! so it must be blarring! maybe need to sort the 'levels out and choose a different genre of music for sundays...a little chilled etc etc....not 'banging house etc...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#38 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

Was in there last thursday evening and have to agree that the music is getting louder and louder which is really disappointing. Just who is the music for - I often think it's for the staff and not the clientele. I hope Dan is reading this.

#39 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

eh? pardon, what was that again? ;)

yep it's a lovely pub, but it's good not to have music too loud, because there are plenty of other places on the Triangle it you do want that sort of atmosphere.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#40 Dan

Dan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

Told the Dj on Sunday evening to get stuffed! Not my cup of tea either! If you want it quieter just ask the staff, or for me... don't suffer in silence and then whinge about it here....

Keep it coming,

Dan @ white hart

#41 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

I hope Dan is reading this.

I think he might be :D

#42 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:02 AM

If you want it quieter just ask the staff, or for me... don't suffer in silence and then whinge about it here....

Keep it coming,

Dan @ white hart

Hi Dan,

It can be quite intimidating to ask the staff in a busy bar to turn the music down. Who am I to presume that other customers don't like it the way it is? The beauty of this forum is that I was able to find out that other people shared my view, so maybe next time I am in the pub I will feel able to say something :) .

I would also like to say that I don't think people on here are whinging. This section of the site is for reviews of pubs and bars, good and bad. That includes everything from the quality of the beer to the overall ambience of the place. For the most part, the reviews of the White Hart on here have been extremely favourable but I'm sure you wouldn't ask people to tell your staff rather than the forum members about those ;) .

Regards,

Mel
Mel, Forum Moderator

#43 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Well said Gekko. I think if a manager of a shop or bar is looking on this site, then they should digest any criticism they read and see how they can address the issue, not leave it on the shoulders of their customer base to deal with. If you are in a position of autority, you have to address the needs of your customer base and be accountable for any problems.

I have actually been in a place in town where I asked them to turn down the volume a little on the screen above our head (there were about 8 screens in the bar) and they refused and eventually told us to leave the pub, even though three other people complained at the volume! I used to work as bar manager, and if one of my staff refused a reasonable customer request, they would get an immediate caution.

I really like the White Hart and would hate for that ambience to be lost due to indifference or blamelessness.

#44 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

There are a couple of pointers in our forum guidelines...

"Comments in the reviews section should be constructive and fair - if you received bad service please take it up with the manager of the restaurant or pub in question."

"If you have a complaint about a local business, take it up with them, do not post your complaint on our forum".

The forum review section is an excellent way to share impressions of a place. And if we are fortunate enough to have the manager or owner getting involved with the forum (or reading it from time to time) it can a useful mechanism for feedback.

However, I'm sure that everyone can appreciate if there is a 'problem' then the best way to deal with it is to take it up when and where it happens. Members should also bear in mind that VN can't afford to get involved in legal action so if your gripe is going to upset the business owner we are likely to remove your post anyway (even if you are right it costs money to hire lawyers).

By the way Dan, be sure to check out the other reviews... you'll see that overly loud 'background' music has been commented on in other pubs and bars.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#45 Lailey

Lailey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

hi,

This is my first post on this forum though i have been lurking for a while.
I think the White Hart is a great pub, good atmosphere with a superb choice of drinks/food.

I am glad to hear that Dan gave the Dj on sunday night the Heave Ho. I went in for a swift G+Tin the afternoon and was most purplexed by the "banging house" being spun on the wheels of steel. Only a week before i had been assured by a member of staff that dj's would not be playing this sort of thing.

on a sunday you need something soothing, a bit of Soul/funk.

dan > im not a pro DJ but would be happy to offer my services playing Funk, Northern soul and Reggae in exchange for drinks once a month?
:D :D

this forum is a great resorce top marks to it creator!

ciao for now