Photo

The White Hart (CP)

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (146 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (62 votes [42.18%])

Percentage of vote: 42.18%

2. Good (54 votes [36.73%])

Percentage of vote: 36.73%

3. Average (14 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [11.56%])

Percentage of vote: 11.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#436 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

It would be nice if we could use these threads to review the pub rather than turning every one into a general rant about gastropubs.

Regarding the standard of cleanliness in the White Hart, I stopped eating in there a couple of years back. The place was already starting to get grubby then. One time, I placed a food order only to see the chef running his hand through greasy hair and then handling the food. I don't even drink there now as there are far better pubs in the triangle where you get served quickly, with a smile and can enjoy your food and drink in a clean environment.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#437 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

whats a "pub" - a public house? - place for the public? - not necessarily a boozer I guess - but some of the places in CP these days seem to have an air of preteniousness and an appeal to the would be bourgeoise - bit poncey in other words - The W Hart would score about 6, The Alma about 7 and the Sparrowhawk about 8 on the ponce-ometer in my book - out of 10 that is - but would happily go to them and have a good time none the less

Service in White Hart has been an issue for ages - but has got better last few times Ive been in there - but if you want a definitve review - look out for Colin Colllings next posting on here!

#438 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Pretentious. bourgeoisie? Maybe just happy in themselves and not for you any longer..

Back to the WH, I was beyond delighted when it opened quite some years ago, but it has rested on it's laurels ever since and become grubbier and grubbier. Maybe it's because I am getting older that I notice it more :(

#439 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Happy in themselves? - what are you implying? - that I am not?

#440 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

Happy in themselves? - what are you implying? - that I am not?

Nope

#441 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Have to be honest - dont get this gastro pub thing - what thats the big deal about just going out for a beer or whatever - stuffed mushrooms with artichoke rissotto? if you want to be discerning about food - go to a food place - lots of restaurants in CP for that kinda thing - pubs to me are places for getting a bit light headed in - loads of people munching on full blown meals in a watering hole - dont really get it - demarcation - rules! - pork scratchings and a pint - that ll do me

There's a middle ground - a restaurant, by nature, has a formality to it; I like that I can go to a pub have a meal and a pint. But more and more I baulk at the prices of some gastropubs. Anyway, back to the White Hart - have attempted to visit on several occasions, but there's usually no seats. I'm at that age...

Still to visit: Patricks, Black Sheep, Sparrowhawk, 'spoons and The Alma, Then maybe down the hill to try the Railway Bell...

Edited by Billy S, 04 June 2012 - 09:56 AM.

Love The Triangle...

#442 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

We have popped into the WH a couple of times over the weekend, largely because the drinks are cheaper than our favoured location The Alma, but not terribly impressed. The bar staff were sullen and unhelpful, the surfaces (tables, doors etc.) were dirty and sticky to the touch and the place already has a grubby, tired look after its relatively recent makeover.

Conversation at the bar:

- May I see your wine list please?

- There are some on the board (jerks head in that direction)

- Yes, but there are only a few up there and no prices - might you have a wine list I can have a look at?

- Tut [looks heavenwards - looks around under the bar for a while then hands me a wine list.

- Have you got all these wines?

- No.

- Erm ok, which ones haven't you got?
I still have a soft spot for the WH and want to like it, but there is so much competition in the triangle that they have pretty much lost our custom for the time being.

#443 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

There was a notice on the wall outside - think the owner is moving on/away from the WH? Any further news on this?
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#444 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

There was a notice on the wall outside - think the owner is moving on/away from the WH? Any further news on this?

That's curious - a company owns the pub and as a result we have had a succession of managers, some of whom have been good. Maybe the Pubco is selling up?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#445 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

I did not pay much attention to be honest - there was a name so it might just be that the manager is leaving?
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#446 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I also read the notice and it seemed to suggest it was the manager leaving. He was just saying thanks to the customers and that he was moving on after a few years etc. There was nothing to indicate that the company was selling up.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#447 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

was in there this eve - was pleasant if uneventful - the shape and lighting + garden area gives it the potential to be best pub on teh triangle IMHO -and removal of eye level glass racks opens it up and lends itself to better eye contact from bar staff and therefore better service and more consistent than in prev times

no complaints - wsnt that full but service was keen and efficient and the budvar tasted good

#448 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

We had a few drinks here yesterday evening - we had tried to partake in the Alma's first birthday bash but the noise levels defeated us, an age thing no doubt :(

The smartened up decor certainly works, as do the candles on the tables. Most of the umcomfortable benches have gone to be replaced by decent chairs. On the negative side, they don't serve port anymore (a shame, such a lovely winter drink) and the bar-staff were universally surly - as a punter I felt very much an inconvenience :(

#449 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

We tried The White Hart just after 8pm last night in the hope of a Sunday roast. We were sitting to the left of the bar near the fireplace and just as we were about to order the live act came on on the other side of the bar. It was incredibly loud and competed with the heavy bass coming out of the speakers at our end of the pub. We decided we couldn't bear to try and shout over 2 lots of music, neither of which complimented each other. We then tried The Alma and the Sparrowhawk, both of which also had live music (why do all the pubs have live music on the same evenings?). I should point out that we both enjoy live bands but on this occasion we wanted to be able to hold a conversation. Forgoing the idea of a Sunday roast we then decided to give Pierre's a go. Unfortunately they stop serving food after 8pm so we ended up in the Palace Spice opposite.

#450 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

We popped into the WH after the G & G last night and left after one drink as we felt the bar staff were nt really interested in serving our drinks , not rude but a tad dismissive , so our group moved on to spend our hard earned cash elsewhere ! I am willing to try it again however others i will not for a long time .