Photo

The Mansion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (34 votes [57.63%])

Percentage of vote: 57.63%

2. Good (19 votes [32.20%])

Percentage of vote: 32.20%

3. Average (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

4. Poor (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote

#31 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

I was talking to one of the bar staff on Friday about the garden. Apparently they're doing it up this week to include an outside bar and BBQ!

#32 mooncatt1

mooncatt1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

What's the menu like? I was planning on visiting for the first time on Sunday but I've got my heart set on a huge roast beef dinner, I just cant be bothered to cook it.

It sounds like the veggies are covered nicely, what about us meat fiends?

#33 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

well the last time i went for sunday lunch it was pork off the bone and nicely done it was...very tastey - maybe they change the meat on the sunday then so fingers crossed you get yer BEEF!!! ;)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#34 mooncatt1

mooncatt1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:56 AM

Thanks Twinkle, I expect I will have changed my mind by Sunday and just have a salad.

Yeah right!

#35 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

Any one seen the garden yet - has it been done?

#36 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

After the flurry of excitement about The White Hart opening, it's The Mansion that I've ended up going to as a pub of choice.

Ideally I'd have a more trad pub as a home-from-home, but I haven't really been able to find one that fits the bill - so The Mansion it is.

#37 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:32 AM

I always enjoy an hour or two in The Mansion, even though i wouldn't necessarily have thought it to be my kind of place. For some reason it works, and it works brilliantly. Looking forward to a few weekend afternoons in the garden too.
If you're on the north side of the triangle, howdy, then you've got The Railway Bell for that more traditional pub as a contrast.
In fact, with these two fabulous pubs i think we're spoilt.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#38 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:58 PM

The garden is now open

enjoyed a lazy PM there munching chips and spring rolls. It was pretty sunny in there yesterday PM although it is North facing.

It's been lawned , there are about 10 picnic style tables not too crammed together and they have built a massive barbecue so it looks like they are planning for some summer events. Looks a bit bare at the moment but they have planted it up with some decent choices and kept attractive features like the large cherry blossom.

It's certainly a more welcoming and comfortable garden than the GH Tavern but not as intimate as the Railway Bell

#39 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

Am going to have to try this place out before the baby arrives! :D

#40 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

You should, rachel, and after.
We took our little cherrypie there today after getting her weighed (its next door to the health centre !)...her first pub trip, and she loved it.
A couple of other tiny toddlers arrived in the garden soon after.
A great place for sunny afternoons for those with little ones, and plenty of shade if required.
jamesl's description is spot on. Its spacious and very very nice, and i love the room which leads to it..
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#41 dvon

dvon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:51 PM

Celebrated my 40th at the Mansion on Saturday. There were 35 people from all parts of the country and they all commented on how fantasic the food and service was. One even thought it was better that her local Gasto Pub in Maida Vale!! Go Gipsy Hill!!
I had the whole of the downstairs, so there was easy access into the garden. Thank you Scott, Alex and Team for making my night soooo specialXX

#42 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:44 PM

Great place to celebrate your 40th Dvon - sounds like you had a fun evening. It is a fab pub!

My only negative comment about the Mansion is that when we turned up there a week last Sunday early lunchtime looking forward to sitting out in the beer garden on a hot summers day, we found the garden was closed for a private function despite the board outside saying otherwise. A tad annoying. Otherwise we love the place - it is so refreshing.

#43 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

I am moving to the area in a couple of weeks and have been stopping by the Mansion when I have been to see the flat i'm buying. The staff seem really friendly, the decor is fabulous and the atmosphere relaxed - just the kind of local I was looking for. Had a vegetable thai green curry on one occasion, which was reasonably priced and very tasty. Will definitely be back for more.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#44 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:39 PM

fresh from holiday and in need of good food we set off for alchemy...which we now know is closed for lunch during the week ! mansion was nearest acceptable venue... very fine food...good prices

#45 Charlie Coo

Charlie Coo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

Usually I love this pub - think its amazing - was really disappointed at the weekend though - my boyfriend went on the Sat for dinner with friends we had staying, he found a big bit of paper in his pie and the friends steak sandwiches were very well done when they'd been asked for medium. Boyf was offered a free beer when he said about the paper but didn't bother.

Then we went for Sunday lunch (its only down the road and we're lazy!) and were waiting at the bar for 15 mins (and there weren't many people there - the bar woman took 10 mins making 1 cocktail for someone else) then waited 50 mins for our food. Again we were offered a free round of drinks but we weren't staying any longer.

As I say I really like this place but seemed really disorganised this weekend <_< I'll still be going back again and again though :P