Photo

The Mansion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (34 votes [57.63%])

Percentage of vote: 57.63%

2. Good (19 votes [32.20%])

Percentage of vote: 32.20%

3. Average (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

4. Poor (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote

#61 missb

missb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

Finally went to the Mansion for the first time today and i was very impressed.The staff were very attentive, the decor is fab and the food was even better than i expected.
Keep up the good work!

#62 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

that was a lovely evening... i missed out on canopes, mince pies and everything else that might have been there...but what an evening ! the piano player worked tirelessly and tried hard to play november rain at one point and the young lady on the sax was out of this world...and then she got her sax out !
scott was in finest primadonna form and it was the best christmas eve !

#63 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:33 PM

I have always liked the Mansion, partly because it has got a nice big no smoking room, but also because of the decor/atmosphere of the place, and because the staff were so friendly and helpful.

The food improved very much a few months ago, I think because they got a new chef, and there were suddenly loads of vegetarian options, which was great! However, the last time I went in there, a couple of weeks ago, the menu had changed, and there was virtually nothing vegetarian on there at all! So I left, and haven't been back since.

Does anyone know if the chef has changed again, or if they have just stopped doing so many veggie options?

#64 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

Didn't notice the veggie options I'm afraid but the service has definitely changed (when compared to the posts here).

We waited for over an hour for our food at the weekend (late afternoon) and they acted as though they were doing us a favour by acknowledging our existence. Domali on the other hand (where we went afterwards) were sweetness and light.

#65 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have always had problems with the staff at the Mansion (though I love the place). I agree that they seem not to look after you (or – as I have noticed – unless you are their mate). They point you to the table and then they expect you to know that you have to order from the bar (they can say that can’t day?) or as it happened last summer, after we ordered at the Bar nobody told us we had to bring the order to the BBQ outside so we waited donkey hours for them to deliver the food.
I think the waiters need a good SHAKE up (I hope they read this thread) !
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#66 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

I don't really understand some of these posts. I thought The Mansion is a PUB, not a restaurant. The staff are bar staff not waiters. The pub happens to do food (good food in my opinion). I expect good service but I don't expect the same type of service that I would get in a restaurant. I always think the staff are very friendly, often stop to say hi and often remember what I am drinking. Small details that make me feel welcome. Then again I am absolutely gorgeous so maybe I get a better service! ;) (I am joking by the way).
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#67 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

u must be gorgeous then!
is a "gastro pub" with a "restaurant" area so someone expect some little help

at the white hart they come and help you at least they tell you where to ask!

as I said before I LOVE the Mansion
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#68 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Surely this should be under 'restaurants' cos it certainly ain't a pub any more.

#69 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:08 AM

Agreed - especially Sunday lunchtime!!

#70 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

Does anyone know what sort of thing is on the menu at the moment? Last time I went it had gone a bit burgery. Would like to give it another go if this is no longer the case.
Rachel
My link

#71 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

ok I can answer my own question. Not burgery, but very unvegetarian.
Rachel
My link

#72 sinhaha

sinhaha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

Theres no doubt that the Mansion is a lovely pub.

But the food is reasonable pub food at restaurant prices.

And the service is amateurish , but worse than that somewhat charmless.

Will give it a miss for a bit I think.

#73 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

anyone in on sunday lunch at the weekend??? we arrived at noon and they had not printed the menu... ordered at 12.25
food started arriving 1.50.. truly hopeless???

#74 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

I went in there for the first time recently and probably came to similar conclusions to many others. I liked the decor. Staff didn't seem to quite have their act together over food/ordering etc. I agree with the comment about reasonable pub food at restaurant prices. Certainly not bad, but some of the local restaurants nearby do a better job.

Edited by elleme, 09 June 2007 - 10:08 PM.

#75 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:37 PM

I really like the space, and you can usually get a seat which beats the WH but I agree that the staff border on being a little rude and you constantly feel that you are interrupting their night out when you order something. They also have a really annoying habit of BARKING at us at closing time. Its ok, just ask nicely and we'll go, no need to shout!!!