Photo

The Mansion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (34 votes [57.63%])

Percentage of vote: 57.63%

2. Good (19 votes [32.20%])

Percentage of vote: 32.20%

3. Average (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

4. Poor (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

Vote

#76 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

I used to love The Mansion, but I avoid it now. Sure, it ticks all the boxes, nice food, nice decor, good beers, but when you can't get a seat and staff throw your change at you because they are so busy, I ask myself why go all the way down the hill for shoddy service?

Edited by Billy S, 25 June 2007 - 07:55 PM.

Love The Triangle...

#77 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

I used to like this pub a lot, but the menu has changed, so there is hardly anything vegetarian on there, and the attitude of the staff has changed, so they are no longer helpful and friendly. Oh, and they have astroturfed the garden, which is a strange thing to do.

I now actively avoid going there! :(

#78 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

I am really surprised that people have said the staff are rude at the Mansion – in our experience they couldn’t be friendlier. We visited a few times before we moved in and now it is our local – the staff asked us if we were new to the area, and now say hello when we go in. (Maybe that’s a sign of spending too much time in there?!)

The décor is fantastic and the Astroturf in the garden, while maybe not the greenest option in the eco sense, does guarantee a green garden all year round and a nice place for kids too.

The menu has changed recently so there’s more salads and no sausages and mash! The summer menu I guess. I’m not sure how many veggie options there are I’m afraid but there’s always the great veggie Thai curry!

We love this pub!

#79 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

I have to agree about the veggie options on the menu at the moment, particularly having been to their sister pub the Rye recently and seeing what they had to offer - a much more extensive menu. Having said that I have never said anything to any of the staff about it so I suppose I can't really complain.

However, I have to disagree that the staff are unfriendly or unhelpful. They have changed recently and hardly any of the old staff are there but they still remain friendly and attentive to me and always say hello, even remembering our drinks orders (which is slightly worrying).
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#80 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

Had a very pleasant evening here - the staff were very friendly, the menu has expanded (four veggie options in the main courses now) and the garden really comes into its own on a warm evening. Quite idyllic sitting out there. :)
opposed to taking terrapins.

#81 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

Really impressed by this place - nice food, nice staff, nice booze... and lurve the fab decor - even with a hangover on a Sunday lunchtime!
x

#82 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Lazy Sunday lunch at the mansion - not in any hurry so the charming but dis-organised service was not an issue. They manged to forget our dessert order but then gave them to us on the house, although I would still have paid for the fabulous 'squidgey' chocolate tart. Main complaint would be that the lamb (the most important part of any sunday roast) seemed to have spent a bit too long under the hot lamps and was too dry - dragged a possible 8 mark down to a respectable 7. Not the cheapest place in town but the relaxed atmosphere and the excellent wine selection wine by the glass make it worth a visit.

#83 robpark

robpark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:36 PM

<complaint removed>

Considering that if you walk up the road to Joannas, pay the same price you get the finest quality food and service.

Sad to say I have already stopped drinking in there, and definately will not be eating there again until something drastic takes place.

:(

Edited by James, 22 October 2007 - 09:40 AM.
Please see Forum Guidelines

#84 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:22 AM

The Mansion's still very nice in my opinion. Lady Andreas and I went there with some Italian friends on Saturday lunchtime. The food took a little while to arrive (because of there being a big party in the back room), but when it did it was all really delicious. And the Italians loved the decor and general ambience.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#85 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

i still think this place is outstanding... i dont turn up with the expectation of anything...
half a burger and some chips sunday... our choice... lovely... there are kids running
around... which i enjoy...lovely decor... just a nice place to be!

stop press... scott is looking at the bridge house tavern penge as his next project!

#86 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:47 AM

What sport of food are they doing at them moment other than burgers? I fancy giving it another try, but they weren't very vegetarian friendly last time I went.
Rachel
My link

#87 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

I went on Sunday and really liked the veggie sausage roast. Have had the portobello mushroom burger thing before and it was nice. There's not an enormous range of veggie options, but the ones I've mentioned and the mezze nibbly things are nice and the desserts are well worth the trip...

#88 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:55 PM

Yum the sausage thing sounds good! I am not a fan of 'mushroom burgers' - a mushroom in a bap, not really a burger! Will definitely give it another go on a Sunday. Thanks!
Rachel
My link

#89 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

There are loads of options with eggs plus Sausage sandwich, BLT, poached eggs on muffins with spinach and hollandaise sauce, eggs, ham and chips, the usual curries, roast dinners etc. etc.

I'd have been hopeless on the generation game - we only ate there on Saturday

Edited by charlie, 30 October 2007 - 03:08 PM.

#90 Downsouth

Downsouth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

Easily the best place within two miles for a drink or meal. Apart from it's sister pub the Rye Hotel it also beats hand s down all the places in and around Lordship Lane.