• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:46 PM

I've just bought a new cooker - being delivered this Friday - and I believe I need to get it installed by a Corgi-registered person. (I'd do it myself but I'm a bit funny around gas!) Does anyone have any recommendations?
M A N G O

#2 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:02 PM

There are some past discussions about heating engineers etc here, here and here.

#3 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

Funny, I did a search and it didn't come up with anything - must have been doing it wrong!

Thanks C
M A N G O

#4 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:47 PM

"(I'd do it myself but I'm a bit funny around gas!)" - Not to mention that would be illegal.

#5 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:52 PM

well that as well . . .

I can't believe I have to spend £80+ for someone to pull a rubber hose out of the back of my old cooker and do it on the new one. Especially as the cooker only cost a couple of hundred quid in the first place.

Madness. :angry:
M A N G O

#6 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:32 PM

Crushed Mango - have you heard of Ronan Point

At first rumours arose locally of the cause being an IRA bomb-maker gone wrong, but it was later found to have been a 'town' gas build-up from a leaky cooker connection in flat 90 ignited by a lady hoping to heat her kettle for her morning cup of tea (this lady survived after being blown across her flat !!)

I think Corgi registration came out of this disaster.

As the old saying goes "Better to be safe than sorry"

#7 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:51 PM

Well yes, point well made. Precisely why I asked for a recommendation. I'm not moaning about the fact that I should have to do it, just how much extra it costs!
M A N G O

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

Yes, I know what you mean Mango - it does seem a lot of money. But, if you think of all the years of cooking pleasure your new cooker will give you, perhaps £80 is a fairly reasonable investment. Plus, if you were buying a second hand cooker - there would be all the more reason for a professional to install.

According to Corgi, when the cooker is connected the Corgi fitter should commission the appliance in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. If there are no instructions, I am advised that they are not allowed to connect to the gas supply.

Interestingly I popped into the Corgi website and found this:

NEW CHANGES TO REGULATIONS

The rules around gas have changed to protect you and your family further

There are two important changes in regulations, which affect all homeowners with gas appliances. These are designed to protect you further. If you are having a gas appliance installed or replaced, this is how the new rules affect you:

You will now receive a safety certificate (called a Declaration of Safety) from CORGI after a gas appliance has been installed. Please keep this safe as it proves the appliance has been installed by a professional. It will also form an essential part of the Home Information Pack, to be a legal requirement in England and Wales from 2007.

They also state that your buildings insurance could become invalid if you install a gas cooker illegally - I am not sure whether this is true or not? Food for thought.

#9 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:49 PM

I don't know, but I'd be amazed if your buildings insurance didn't become invalid if you had a gas appliance installed illegally! Why should the insurance company pay to rebuild the heap of rubble that you created by breaking the law?

You might also face liability for other property damage and personal injuries, one would think.

Edited by matt, 13 December 2005 - 03:50 PM.

#10 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:31 AM

AB Heating
49, Croydon Rd, Beckenham, Kent BR3 4AB
Tel: 020 8663 1819

Ask for Nelson

#11 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

Thanks CRB - I've left a message with them. £80 poorer but at least we can all sleep safely in our beds - don't want another Hemel Hempstead on our hands now do we?
M A N G O

#12 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

£80 well spent - you won't be disappointed with Nelson. He did some work for me last year and has just fitted me a new boiler. I'm very pleased with what he's done.

#13 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Sorry to say this but I cannot recommend this company. I have paid above the odds already, and they have left me badly in the lurch - I wil now need to fork out more money to get my cooker re-installed by a professional.
M A N G O

#14 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, and very surprised.

#15 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

No probs - it happens - it's all sorted now more or less - although the cooker itself has now broken down!!

This provides me with an exciting new challenge - how to feed a family for two weeks without actually cooking anything!

:D :D :D
M A N G O