• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:50 PM

Would like to buy locally and they haven't got any at the Secret Garden. Any ideas - looking for unfurnished B)

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

YOu could try the little garden centre on Aleyn's Road in West Dulwich.
Rachel
My link

#3 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

The RSPB has a catalogue (I assume you can find it on line) which has bird boxes, feeders, seed and everything else for the discerning bird. But bird boxes are very easy to make if you've got a few spare off-cuts of timber. I'm sure you could find a pattern on the Net and then you'd have a unique des res for visiting birds!

#4 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

I got mine from Homebase. There's one in Sydenham. Or you could try the pet shop on Norwood Road, West Norwood.

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

There's the Homebase in Penge and opposite that is a pet shop, which may also have them.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

The Garden Factory (www.thegardenfactory.co.uk) has a House Sparrow 'terrace' for £29.95. I had to do a search to find it though!
aka Pie

#7 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:21 PM

I wonder if the London Wildlife trust garden in East Dulwich does them. They sell seeds and native plants there, and I would have thought birdboxes might be a possibility too. http://www.wildlondo...p?reserve_id=73 The link includes a phone number so you could always check with them.

#8 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

These guys advertise in the back of the Sunday Times mag and look quite fun!

#9 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions - very much appreciated indeed. Haven't bought a nesting box yet but did end up buying a ladybird house (in a moment of madness) from John Lewis - not sure how it works or what to do with it but thought it sounded fun. Happy New Year to all.

#10 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

I saw some really nice ones in B & Q at the weekend, very reasonably priced too ... trouble is it was in a Bristol B &Q! But they probably have them at the Valley Park one.
aka Pie

#11 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Thought you'd all be dying to see a picture of my ladybird house which is identical to the one on this link

#12 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

Good for you, Charlie - garden wildlife needs all the help it can get! Have you seen the newspaper stories about the invasion of aggressive foreign ladybirds who are so hungry that they are eating the native varieties? :blink:

#13 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

Yes I have HeadGardener - heard about them last year and have I think spotted one in our garden. This is a good link as it shows a picture of the Harlequin Lady Bird here :o