18 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

We need our locks changed on our new property and I've just got a local quote. £54 for labour plus locks which could be further £80 plus....

This seems somewhat pricey or is this standard?

Any advice on whether it's possible to get it done cheaper anywhere else....?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#2 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

If you just want to replace like with like then its a quick an easy ( but slightly fiddly) diy job. The different locks should just just come out be removing a few screws. Then just screw a new one in. I think there is shop that sells locks just past penge, on the main road as it becomes kent house. To make sure you get the correct locks, you might want to unscrew you current locks and take them to the shop with you. That does mean you'll need to leave someone in the house B)

The skilled part in installing a lock is "making the tight hole" for a new lock. Unless you have very good carpentry skills allways use a good capenter, especially for a mortice lock.

#3 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

The other half is a reasonably priced locksmith so gimme a shout if you need one (again). We live locally.

#4 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

Aha! We've become recent experts on this, due to the helpful efforts of a bag thief*. We replaced our locks just a few nights ago.

If it is not a deadbolt, you can buy a new tumbler set for about 8 including 3 new keys and install it yourself in almost no time. For us, since we are a bit ham-handed and tend to argue and discuss and rejig and miss the right tools and improvise, it took about 45 minutes. The only trick is to cut the stem off to the correct length. We did this with a hacksaw, and then adjusted it with a file. If it is too long, it won't connect properly. In the end, the new lock works much better than the old one, so that part was a net gain.

We had a deadbolt put in by our carpenter, in a new door, and he did it without too much trouble in a short amount of time. So I'm guessing you can try to do this job yourself, then call someone in if it doesn't work.

On lock shops: South London Locks, mentioned by Axean, is good, very helpful, sold us exactly the right thing for the job. There is another lock shop higher up on Penge High Street, across from the big church (St John's?) and near the park (in the vicinity of Penge East Station access roads. It has a bunch of signboards out advertising koi food and fire extinguishers. The proprietor is a delightful character who has any number of astonishing stories to tell (and a lot of opinion on the crime problems we have been discussing here). If you go to the latter, you might be there for longer, if you are a chatty sort, but the keys are 1 cheaper each (at the first, copies are 3 and at the second, 2. For reference, Timpsons charges 5/key in town).

* through this unpleasant event I learned that 100-150 bags are reported stolen A DAY in Kensington/Chelsea ALONE.

#5 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hi Rennie, does your partner do callouts? We've moved into a new property in CP & one of the built-in-cupboards has a lock on it but no key, needless to say we can't get into it at the moment. Cheers.

#6 magda

magda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Are there any local locksmiths who would come out to an address in West Norwood and give a quote for changing the locks and adding extra security grills to a communal front door?

#7 maybrey

maybrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

Are there any local locksmiths who would come out to an address in West Norwood and give a quote for changing the locks and adding extra security grills to a communal front door?

Hi, we are a property services company and deal with all aspects of building works and maintenance, we would be very happy to come and take a look at what you need and give you a qoute. Please contact Gary Fenwick on 07885 262 332 ( company is maybrey property services)

#8 grrrth

grrrth

• Suspended
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

I recently moved in to a new flat, and had the front door locks changed and security beefed around the flat up by Banham. It was expensive (750), but that's not a lot for peace of mind. There is no way anyone is getting through my front door now! Anyway, I highly recommend them.

http://www.banham.com/
:: Gareth
:: Twitter: @grrrth :: http://bourne.gg :: http://iphonereportage.net

#9 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Evening all,
Does anyone know of a reliable local locksmith? The other half has just broken off a key in our front door and we can't get it out!
All recommendations gratefully accepted...
Thanks!

#10 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

Following the seizure of our back door lock (and my amateur attempts to fix it), Hollybush Stores kindly gave us the recommendation of Andrew Wing on 07733 272 077.

He was friendly and very helpful and above all a professional.So Andreas is now allowed to go out again.

Highly recommended.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#11 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'd like to add my recommendation for Andrew Wing from the previous post. He changed some locks for us last week and couldn't have been nicer or more efficient. We were also wondering about our back doors and he could have easily sold us things that we didn't really need but he was honest and said that what we had was absolutely fine.
I almost wish we had more locks to fix so that he could come back!
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#12 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Another recommendation for Andrew Wing. In summary: Efficient. Courteous. Good value for money.

Can't recommend him highly enough.

#13 andirella

andirella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

Another recommendation for Andrew Wing (07733 272 077) Andrew was prompt ,polite and explained all his charges each step of the way, he wasn't working when I called but he still came straight away to sort out my temperamental locks. I have no hesitation at all in recommending him.

#14 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

And another thumbs up for Andrew Wing. He's just sorted out my nightmare of a frontdoor. Not only did it have a faulty lock but also the door itself was not sat properly in the frame and was slightly too large and sticking. He took it off its hinges and plained it down and put in a new lock. He didn't charge for the 60 minutes spent sorting out the door, just for the lock work. Very impressed and nice fella too.

#15 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone know of a locksmith to change 2 front door locks ? I have noticed the last post here is dated 2007

I am looking for a specific lock/safety that can be locked from the outside and opened from the inside without the key ... if you know what I am talking about

Cheers

L
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!