35 replies to this topic

#1 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

Our next door neighbour whose house is 2ft lower down the hill from ours has mentioned (complained !) that when we light our Swedish wood-burning stove her 2 reception rooms smell of smoke, from which I have inferred that her chimneys are somehow sucking our smoke down into their house. Do you know anyone with any knowledge of such things that would enable us to correct or cure the problem ?

(Note for the law-abiding and eagle-eyed: Our stove has special permission to burn wood as it is so well-engineered that it burns away to almost nothing and is called a 'clean-burn')
:unsure:
Anopheles

#2 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:31 PM

I hate to say it but it may well be that there is a breach between the two Chimney breasts - this needs to be repaired because otherwise dangerous gasses caused from your fire can build up in the Chimney (rather than flow out the top) or they can seep into your neighbours property- these can be both explosive and highly toxic.

An experienecd Chimney sweep can carry out a smoke test to check for a breach -normally you can tell if smoke from your fire emits from the top of your neighbours chimney

The remedy is normally to reline the chimney but I am afraid it is expensive - we are getting quotes for this at the moment and they range from £900 to £1200 per chimney breast

#3 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

Hi

I cannot find anywhere a "savage garden" near SE19, can anyone help?

I am looking to replace the current (cheap and nasty) fireplace with an original one (Vitorian) and possibly the doors.

Thanks
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

LSPE

Have you tried the fireplace shop on Westow Street?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

ive found a salvage yard in walingham just past the green in MINT WALK off farleigh/limpsfield road. Had lots of doors although you would have to treat them and do work to them but they seem to be 15 each - and i also saw some old fire surrounds and iron fireplaces too.....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#6 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

I recently bought a really nice fireplace from the shop on Westow Street, they have a good range. They were really friendly and fitted it well. I will be going back for the next one soon.

They also recommend a chimney sweep, I can't remember his details though.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#7 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Yeah this is my first option, however if I can save something then its all more welcome as the rest of the re-vamp is sucking all the blood off the veins .

I got the chimney sweep details at home as he's coming to check my chimney before I buy a new fireplace ;-)
I agree with you the guy who works there (think name is Chris) was very helpful.

The only downside I think I cannot use wood burning/logs but only smokeless fuel :-( though it's good for the environment so cannot complain!!!

Edited by LSPE, 06 March 2007 - 02:30 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#8 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

I have not had mine in long and have not actually got round to using it yet but when I do what type of fuel should I use? I want something that is least harmful to the environment (although I suppose not using it all is least harmful).
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#9 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

they suggested the smokeless fuel (or something like that) - again if you pop in the fireplace shjop they'll help

I am not planning to use it regularly but sometimes would be nice to cuddle up in front of the fire (that's the romantic me)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#10 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

THe Chimney Swiper came around and cleared the chimney at a very reasonable price

Chris from teh Fireplace shop is being very helpful so let's keep figners crossed!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#11 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

(Note for the law-abiding and eagle-eyed: Our stove has special permission to burn wood as it is so well-engineered that it burns away to almost nothing and is called a 'clean-burn')
:unsure:
Anopheles

What make is the stove Anopheles?

Edited by gekko, 13 March 2007 - 12:59 PM.
edited to make quote function work

#12 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

I must confess that Chris (the guy at the Fire Place shop in Westow Street) if brialliant and very very very helpful!

I am in the middle of a job and hes been very informative, supportive and knows what hes doing!

Im glad that there are business like this in the area
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#13 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

After I withdrew my property from the market (due to lack of available nice garden rpoperties to purchase) I went ahead with the installation of a new fireplace.

The fireplace looks GREAT, a fantastic job done by Chris (the guy at the Fire Place shop in Westow Street), all reclaimed items from properties in the area so very happy about it too

I would strongly reccommend them!!

LSPE

Edited by LSPE, 12 July 2007 - 09:49 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#14 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

We used Chris last year when we converted our Victorian grate into a bespoke gas fire - he was great, and we are very happy with the result. Our neighbours used him too with good results.

We've also used Mick the Sweep in the past when we had an open fire, and he was very good - we got to see the chimney brush poking out the chimney and make a wish, which is apparently what you do!

#15 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

What make is the stove Anopheles?

It is a Swedish Kakelund made by CRONSPISEN - we bought it through Kyte Marketing (google it) and it was sent from the north of Sweden. If you wish to know what they look like and can get your hands on a Carl Larsson book, it will give you an idea though Kyte would send a brochure. It is wonderful.
Anopheles