• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

I've done a search for any cattery recommendations but only came up with cat-sitting services. Although I'd much prefer this option Mr S isn't keen on strangers being given a key to the house and free access for a couple of weeks, even with good references!

Has anyone used a cattery they can recommend? I have two cats and they would probably prefer to be in a run together. Many thanks for any suggestions.

#2 andyk

andyk

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

We use Cat's Cradle in Reigate - especially when we are going overseas and flying from Gatwick. It's a farm and they seem pretty good value for money. Our 2 seem to be pretty stable there. No behavioural problems on collection etc. - well apart from one of them attacking my new christmas jumper whilst negotiatiing the A23.

If you're looking more local I can't help I'm afraid. Ditto - don't trust too many with leys although the cleaner hasn't absconded with my hidden treasure just yet.
:)

#3 Liliput

Liliput

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

Hi skigirl,

I had the same problem a little while ago, and then I came across Catsafe;

Catsafe
5 Blacklands Road
London SE6 3AE
Tel: (020 8698 4923)

They are very competitive, £6 per day inclusive, and £10.00 for 2 cats (I recall) in the same enclosure. I went around for a visit before my booking and was quite impressed, the pens are around 10 ft long, with a ramp up to a heated bedding area. I'll report back as this is the first time I've made a booking, but John the owner is clearly a cat lover, and I felt the place would do quite nicely!

..and just to make you all jealous, I'm off to Oz for 4 weeks!

#4 andyk

andyk

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:52 PM

of course, for local catteries, your local vet should be able to advise.
Our vet is Wenzel's on Gipsy Road.

#5 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for those suggestions. The Reigate one sounds good except the hols we would need it for we're going from Heathrow & early Sat morning. Would have to be a Friday eve drop off but may investigate that further. I'll also look into Catsafe.

Our lovely next-door neighbour has had the cheek to be moving house the end of Jan hence our need - so inconsiderate of her! I had used one in South Croydon once before but my cat came back very smelly - I don't think she'd been grooming herself cos she was unhappy. I could try that one again as I'm sure there was nothing particularly wrong with the cattery but I thought it would be worth seeing if any people had favourites.

Hidden teasures would be a long time in the search - I think Mr S is more concerned about identity theft :rolleyes:

#6 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

The Croydon branch coordinator of the Cats Protection League have one in Purley -

Eleanor and Dick Walls, Purley Cattery, 110 Riddlesdown Road, Purley, Surrey. CR8 1DD Tel. Tel. : 020 8763 1406 Email : eleanor@purleycattery.co.uk

Can't say I've used it but they are obviously very caring. :)
aka Pie

#7 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:06 PM

Ah thanks Sylvester! Good suggestion & Purley not too far away.

#8 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:14 PM

I think wenzels has a cattery of its own doesn't it - at its other branch? Their website is down at the moment though so I can't find out more. It's a nightmare with cats isn't it. Luckily, my cat is chilled out enough to accompany us when we go home for christmas (he lies on my lap in the car!), but we haven't yet had to put him in a cattery and I'm dreading ever having to. So far my lovely neighbour has been happy to oblige, and he went to stay with a friend for our last holidays!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#9 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

Wenzel's are unfortunately closing their cattery on 28th Jan...shame as we were going to use them in February for two days for our two cats.

We are going to look at Purley cattery. We have never put them in a cattery before, we have either taken them with us or relatives have had them for a week...I'm dreading it!

#10 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:29 PM

Another option is to use Cat Calls, a small and very local company who come and feed your cat(s) in your home whilst you're away?

I used them a couple of years ago and they were great. Here's their website:

http://www.catcalls.co.uk/index.html :)

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:49 PM

I have just used Cat Calls for the first time. Jane who owns the company was great. She is very knowledgeable and both kitties and owners were very pleased with the service :) . I would definitely recommend them.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Another recommendation for Cat Calls here. I can understand why you might be worried allowing a stranger into your home whilst you're away but Cat Calls is well established and doesn't employ any old person to look after the cats (actually I think Jane does it most of it herself with perhaps one other person), so you know who has access to your house.

Also the cat seemed very happy! :)

#13 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

Came across this helpful website http://www.fabcats.org/ - they are advertising a book called "Good cattery guide 2006". Loads of useful kitty health tips too.

#14 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

Thank you for all your helpful comments. I finally persuaded Mr S that Cat Calls were not about to make off with our CD collection and we are going to use them. Purley Cattery also looked very good and may well use them in the future.

#15 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

the oakley hotel for cats just the other side of bromley is well worth the effort...two cats and countless stays