Nuclear Bunker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Andypclark_*

Guest_Andypclark_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2003 - 05:17 PM

Does anyone know who owns the old Nuclear Bunker at the top of Gypsy Hill? I'd really love to see inside it. I've heard about it a few times but never actually tracked it down. For more info see the link below.

http://homepage.ntlw.....ee House.html

:ph34r:

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 05:55 PM

The bunker at Pear Tree house is in Lunham Road. If you turn into Highland Road on Gipsy Hill (near the church) it connects into Lunham Road and runs around the back of the estate.

The main entrance is a heavy steel blast door into the sub-basement which is at ground level. There are photos of the outside and photos of some of the rooms on Subterranea Britannica. See the following web site...

http://www.subbrit.o...ear_tree_house/

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 11:30 AM

This country is absoloutley useless at capitalising on places of interest.
If people want to look around it why not.

#4 Guest_Andypclark_*

Guest_Andypclark_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2003 - 03:05 PM

Actually, I went and had a look this weekend... It's not much to look at and it's in a pretty dodgy area... Still, a blue plaque seems warranted as it represents something remarkable in it's own way.

#5 Simeon

Simeon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 11:24 AM

Thanks all for the links, I've always been fascinated by the site.

Andypclark, did you actually get inside the bunker?
If yes, how?
If no, fancy trying to organize a visit? :D

#6 Guest_lee_*

Guest_lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:33 AM

Good laugh here...
Lambeth Council in the 80s apparently took the lease from the Civil Defence Authority and kicked them out of the bunker, under the premise that (and I quote) "Lambeth is a nuclear free zone"!
Interesting notion if some idiot dropped an atom bomb on our heads!
A bit irresponsible, too... if the unthinkable had happened, how the *** would the emergency authorities for the South East have functioned, with no attack proof centre to start the ball rolling to help the bombed public?

*** ***!

#7 Guest_Hujo_*

Guest_Hujo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:46 PM

No way! I live next door to this building and I had always wondered why it was so out of character with the rest of the street!
I thought it was due to a collapsed old Victorian villa which was replaced with a bad planning decision.

Well now I know I don't need the govt emergency planning leaflet, I just need to pop down the street in case of terrorist attack. I bet I could survive in there for years!

Thanks for this info!

(and shame on the Andy P Clark who said my road was a dodgy area!)