• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:38 AM

east norwood worrying about future house prices.

Who mentioned house prices? I thought this conversation was about the quality of life of those people who live in the area you term as 'East Norwood'. Did I miss something somewhere or are you just making a gross assumption in line with your earlier outburst about property?

They were going to build yuppie housing on the edge of CPP which not only involves unnecessary loss of parkland, but in doing so provides a nice fat profit for J.N. Builder and a nice yuppie drum for Mr and MRS middle class to sell on in 5 years time at a nice juicy profit.

You are starting to sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

Edited by gekko, 31 May 2006 - 09:43 AM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#77 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

Mike - I was responding in like manner to this phrase
"From my point of view as a 23 year old resident of near by Croydon"
That 3-6 hours is a rather large portion of my weekend.

And thanks, I'll tell my daughter not to be worried about large crowds behaving boistrously (as football crowds do, I know I do) and I'm sure, as a 1-year old, she'll understand me completely......

(and you can leave out the patronising comments about the composition of football crowds, and their behaviour - personally I support the team with one of the largest female contingents!)

As for Palace going to the wall - hardly, and even if it did, I wouldn't shed too many tears myself, its a private business and many football clubs go into administraiton - indeed Palace has before as jamesl points out. In fact the biggest factor likely to cause Palace to go to the wall is (As Nick has pointed out), spending a fortune on a new stadium they can't fill. They'd be more likely to survive if they played to their own market rather than tried to be the new Chelsea. As a yuppie who's just spent the morning analysing the Man U management accounts for the month, I'd know.

Edited by matt, 31 May 2006 - 09:53 AM.

#78 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

Can I point out that it's not "3-6 hours a week", it's "3-6 hours a weekend". Quite a different proposition.

Let's just have a park...

#79 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

Wouldnt it be more evironmentally "better" if we moved the sports across the road to the abandoned 33 acres of sports fields? Thats about 33 football pitches worth of land. The sports would have all the land it needed, and the park could be a park.

Good idea, but that bit of land is entirely inaccessible. It's hemmed in by 2 railway lines and the A214 (Anerley Hill).

The real problem will be cars. As Matt pointed out, even with the best will in the world, fans will drive to the area and walk for the convenience of not having to use the train or tram. It happens at Millwall, West Ham, Charlton etc etc. Without proper car parking arrangements (and I don't want to see the park concreted), the surrounding roads will get utterly saturated with traffic. :unsure:

Car ownership in London has exploded since the 1920s when the only choice of getting to the park would have been by public transport... The world has moved on and the park is not the right place for a football club. <_<
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#80 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

Jordan purchases Palace stadium
Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan has purchased the freehold to the club's Selhurst Park stadium.

Jordan, who has been at the Eagles helm for more than six years, paid £12m for the freehold to former chairman Ron Noades through an intermediary.

Jordan said: "Given the nature of my relationship with the landlord it has made it difficult to negotiate a deal.

"The price was the price I was prepared to pay. Ron's got the deal he wanted and I've got the freehold I wanted."

Jordan revealed the process of securing the freehold was similar to the manner in which he landed the club in July 2000.

On that occasion Singapore financer Jerry Lim purchased Palace and immediately sold it on to Jordan, a life-long fan, who became the youngest chairman in the Football League at the time.

"I have used the structure - unbeknownst to Ron, I suspect - to purchase the freehold, which we exchanged on Friday last week," added the outspoken Jordan.

"It now puts me in a position in which I own the freehold, which is what I said would do for the club when I bought it, and goes to the heart of the plans of the football club having everything it needs in one place."

BBC News Sport Article

This should put the whole CPFC into the NSC to bed and on another matter surely this is good news for the club....

Nick
Nick, Forum Moderator

#81 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

Yay! I am relieved that they won't be moving to the park, but I am also genuinely pleased for fans of the club.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#82 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

At long, long last. Fantastic news!

Although, the mind boggles at the thought of any property in Selhurst costing 12 million quid...

#83 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:16 PM

It does read like Jordan owns the freehold though, not the club (which of course has implications if Jordan ever sold Palace)