Pickles and The Jules Rimet Trophy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

The Croydon Advertiser have contacted me because they are putting together a story on Pickles. However, I think it is about time I got around to putting together a page for the VN web site and I would like to get your input.

On 20th March 1969 the football World Cup (the Jules Rimet trophy) was stolen while on exhibition at Central Hall in Westminster, London. It was 'found' by a dog called Pickles on 27th March 1969 under a hedge in Beulah Hill, Crystal Palace.

There is a photo of Pickles in the BBC Archives
http://news.bbc.co.u...000/1645519.stm

I have several newspaper clippings about Pickles and there are various reports about the way in which Pickles became a national hero. However, local residents have given me differing accounts regarding the circumstances surrounding the recovery of the Cup.

To the best of your knowledge do you know exactly where Pickles found the trophy? Was it under a hedge or in someone's front garden. Was it directly in front of the house called St Valery or slightly further up the hill? Do you know the owner and whether David Corbett is still living locally? What else do you know?

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 dozza

dozza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

Lots of interest in media at the moment as it's 50 years ago on 27th March 2016.

Looks like it was in a location that was probably once the larger gardens of St Valery, but that is now part of the housing on Ellery Road (off Harold Road). Lots of reference to it being found at 'bottom of bush at bottom of suburban garden at St Valery, 54 Beulah Hill, South Norwood. Upper Norwood surely? Don't think Ellery Road was there in 1966, so maybe David lived in St Valery or as a neighbour to it? In recent BBC interview, he mentions it was at the front of the house. He moved to Lingfield in '67.

This image taken at the time (©Getty - I assume they were recreating the find):

pickles-the-dog.jpg

shows a house directly opposite that is here on google maps.

If you do a 180 on Google maps, the photo seems to have been taken about 50" to the right of the entrance to St Valery, suggesting the location in the photo is of the drive to a property that no longer exists. I lived on Spurgeon Avenue 'til i was 20+ and this is where we always thought it was found, not in St. Valery. 

Relevant links:

London Adventurer (map location)

Croydon Advertiser (Jan 2016)

Mirror (Mar 2016)

Urban Forums (Feb 2014)

#3 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

We are celebrating this auspicious occassion and you are cordially invited to attend http://southnorwoodt...kles-fest-2016/

Hope to see you there..

#4 dozza

dozza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

As this discovery was in Upper Norwood, can you explain why the South Norwood Tourist Board have taken ownership of this event in history? Is it apathy from Upper Norwood, or the lack of a similar community body for Upper Norwood?

#5 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:50 PM

You don't know much about us do you dozza? http://southnorwoodtouristboard.com/