• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#16 charlottedare

charlottedare

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:34 PM

Is it possible to have sash windows dipped to strip off the paint?

Would you need to remove the glass first?

Thanks.

#17 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:25 PM

Bond - How did you get on with the company you used? - I need to get mine done as they are rotting through . . .
M A N G O

#18 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:08 PM

Possibly going slightly off subject here, but I need to get my window sills replaced (not the actual windows which are lovely original 1920s windows). Do i need to go to a 'window' company, a carpenter, a builder, a handy man??!??!?!??! No idea where to start with this one, or how much it might end up costing! Is this the sort of job that building insurance covers?

Any advice/contacts would be much appreciated. :blink:

#19 benpark

benpark

Ben Park

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:06 PM

Hi,

Just got a promotional flyer through the post today for Everest Windows. I wouldn't normally look twice at these things, but we're in need of new patio doors, and it might make sense to take advantage of their January offer.

Anyway, has anybody ever used them and had good or bad experiences?

Is there another local company that might do a better job for less money?

Thanks,
Ben

#20 retired_member_1

retired_member_1

Retired Member

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

They are very expensive for what they are, and most of the windows they've fitted for us are bent. Having said that they are a thousand times better than the 2 other companies we've had (including Seebord). Everest use better quality materials, and the workers are more careful.

#21 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

Always get several quotes & perhaps ask to see a happy customer of their. I recently used a company called Brytahomes to do the whole back of my house 020 8648 9394 tooting company family run. They were not the cheapest but they gave me better advice on design & options . I have had them round to sort a few niggles but they have come out everytime no quibbles.

Windows look fantastic.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#22 andyk

andyk

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

We used Crystal Windows who operate all over London / SE and are based in Essex. They install basically the same kit as Everest for half the price. They have a woman in Homebase (Penge) who hands out flyers who looks like she's on anti-depressants. Make her day by taking her up on an offer!
Had ours in for 2 years now - no problems - the back door is also very secure. Don't know what their sash-window stuff is like so we kept the originals and only went double at the back & sides, so to speak.

#23 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:02 AM

Some years ago, we had to have all external windows and doors replaced. This was a major undertaking and we knew it was going to be very expensive. We decided on exactly what style and features we wanted and approached almost a dozen local and national companies for quotes. Each was told that the highest and lowest quotes would be ignored, so we hoped we would get a similar range of prices. In the end, we had quotes ranging from £4,500 to £13,500! :blink:

Everest was the most expensive, with BAC marginally cheaper. In the end we decided to go for BAC, as they offered the features and guarantees we wanted. The plan was to place the order after we came back from holiday in September, but we got a call from BAC over the August bank holiday. They were offering a substantial discount for orders placed that weekend and we ended up with a deal that cost £7,700! :D

Product was good and installation was, mostly, smooth. Response to call-outs under the guarantee for adjustments and minor problems in the first few years was also excellent. However, BAC Ltd quietly went bust and rose again, equally quietly, as BAC Windows and Doors Ltd in the same factory, with the same staff and a similar logo. Now they will not honour the guarantee and no longer carry stocks of the profiles and hardware. :angry:

Best advice I can give is to decide on the windows you want (i.e. casement or sash, thickness of double-glazed units, location and type of openings, type of locking mechanisms, etc.), then get quotes (making sure they say how long they are valid for). If you can, decide on the best financial, technical and support deals and wait to see if any additional special offers are available around Easter time. Clearly, the amount you end up spending should be balanced against the amount of time you intend to live there for.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#24 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:01 AM

Ask about an Insurance Back Guarantee (IBG) this protects the personal guarantee if company goes out of business & the insurance company takes over this duty for the remainder of the term outstanding.

If you use a FENSA registered company they must offer or give you a policy like this as standard practice.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#25 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

We used Crystal Windows who operate all over London / SE and are based in Essex.

So did we. I haggled... 5 windows = £1800. They're FENSA backed and the fitter I had was very efficient. :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#26 Lilian

Lilian

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

I'd like to get mine refurbished. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Edited by James, 06 January 2006 - 01:59 PM.

#27 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

I have two jobs that need doing

-a crack in a front wooden sasg window (bit drafty this time of year!)

-and also thinking of replacing the windows / doors at the back with double glazed and maybe re-arrnaging the door layout / changing windows to French Doors.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cheap, good standard glazier who can repair a crack?

I know there have been threads on double glazing and Eveerst Windows came off badly and Crystal Windows well, any other suggestions?

Thanks

Will

#28 benpark

benpark

Ben Park

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Ok, so my flat in West Norwood has a set of three sash bay windows that need some attention. Three of the small rectangular pains of glass need replacing, one of the external sills is rotten, and the paintwork is generally either falling off or in need of replacing. The locks etc. also need doing.

So far I have had two quotes, one from SashPro recommended earlier in this thread, and one from a company call Draughtsealing based in Bromley (I had a leaflet from them dropped through my door a few months back).

Interestingly, they both recommend different approaches.

The gentlemen from SashPro appeared to be very professional, and after looking at the windows, recommended replacing all three sashes completely, as apparently this would be cheaper than repairing the existing ones. He also recommended replacing two of the external sills. They would make all of the new sashes at their workshop in Thornton Heath, and fit them with their own proprietary draft-proofing system. It all sounded very good, and I would end up with windows that look as new. On the downside, they wouldn’t be available for around 8-12 weeks, and the work would take about 5 days to complete. Total price including VAT, just over £3000.

This morning the chap from Draughtsealing came and had a look. After giving me a 20 minute sales pitch on how they fit sash windows, and the materials that they use (plus also mentioning that certain sections of the work/materials would only be charged at 5% VAT due to recent EU pro-energy saving directives), he then took a look at the windows. He recommended that the broken panes of glass be replaced, along with one of the external sills which was rotten (the second one didn't appear to be!). He also quoted for applying their draft-proofing mechanism to all windows. Interestingly, this chap thought that replacing the sashes was folly, as the wood was still good. Indeed, he mentioned that the wood was original, and therefore was seasoned in the old fashioned way making it superior to the modern "steam-seasoned" wood that is available today. However, his quote did not include any remedial work to the paintwork of panes of glass that are not broken but still need re-seating. His advise was that a good painter and decorator should do this work. I did not get such a good feeling from this chap and he seemed a little dismissive of some of my concerns regarding what he did not want to do. He just didn’t strike me as being as professional as the guy from SashPro, but then that does not mean that the quality of his work would be any worse. However, these guys were available to start work very soon, and the whole thing could be done within a day. Total price including VAT, around £1200.

So, I have a conundrum. Do I go for the more expensive, lengthy (with a considerable wait) but more complete solution that will give me effectively new windows all round with what appeared to be a more modern and efficient draught proofing solution, or do I go for the cheaper, quicker, and more conservation conscious option that would then require the additional hassle of getting in a painter/decorator to refit some of the panes of glass and re-do all of the existing paintwork (no small job!) with probably an inferior end result?

Can anybody advise? It seems that there are a few people here that know what they are talking about.

Edited by benpark, 16 January 2006 - 03:44 PM.

#29 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:32 PM

I'd say get another quote from a third company and then decide between the three.
M A N G O

#30 Bond

Bond

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

Ben,

You seem to be having lots done ! Whereabouts in West Norwood are you (if you don't mind saying) ?

Anyway, we had out sashes done by a company called Sashsmart about this time last year and were impressed. They didn't blind us with science, didn't try and sell us things we didn't need (but would probably have bought anyway because we didn't know any better) and were pretty reasonable I think. Their website appears to have been smartened up since then and is at www.sashsmart.co.uk. They repaired rattles and draughts, added new (and better) locks, repaired cords and replaced rotten frames. Maybe worth a call anyway.