87 replies to this topic

#61 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

I had Anglian last year for my windows, then came back this year for a front door. I'd happily recommend them as I had no problems with either installation.
At the end of the day, the salesman does a pitch, but its all about the guys who come and fit them - and how good they are. I had no problems, but I'd never leave them 'home alone' to complete stuff whilst I was out. The same goes for any tradesman really. Check the work as they complete each window and then there's no rush at the end of the day. Don't sign the waiver until you are 100% happy.
With regards to prices its a nightmare to compare as they constantly switch around their offers (same with all companies). Rule of thumb, whatever the salesman offers on his first visit you can eventually get it for 1/3 of it if you are prepared to make them wait a month or so. (So initial offer = 9k, you can get for 3k).
Sales figures are handled monthly by the big firms so expect a call offering a 'one off deal' around month end when the salesmanager checks his figures and finds he's a bit short. Keep them dangling and they will keep coming back to you.

#62 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

If any installer still use this practice of updating their offer by a call of the office & vastly reducing the offer walk away ASAP this is a frowned apon practice which is likely to be made illegal shortly.

A good installer will pretty much give his best quote up front, make sure you have a good contract in place covering payment & work & most important a complaint process.

Another good tip is to view a happy customer who has a recent installation. This is also one of the most difficult trading years for window installers on record. So installers are very short of work at present & you are more likely to get a bargain if you shop around however if something sounds to good to be true it usually is !

Dazza

PS Anglian also belongs to the GGF ( Glass & Glazing Federation )
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#63 nickyb-inthecp

nickyb-inthecp

Battling a dangerous forum addiction

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

How exactly is the process of lowering your price over time going to become illegal??

Tedious? Yes
Time consuming? Yes
Patronsing? Yes
Illegal?.... Not sure how.

All firms do it. Local and National.
One thing is that the larger firms are more likely to weather the current climate and be in a position to help you should you need to claim on your guarantee in 10years.

#64 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

If you use any reputable installer you should ensure they offer you an IBG ( Insurance back Guarantee) policy with the guarantee this protects the guarantee if the company goes into liquidation & will cover the outstanding term on the guarantee.

Cold caliing & unsolited calls have been made illegal allready & this process of making several calls to the head office are being lobbied by several trade bodies to the local government as this is not a good practice & can be seen as intimidation practice for older folk.

Zenith windows went into recievership earlier this year who are considered be one of the big 3. Larger companies are just as prone to closing down as banks are now not being so genorous with their overdrafts.

I work for the Glass & Glazing Federation who are one of the main trade bodies in the Glass industry on a part time basis.

Dazza

#65 Christophe

Christophe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

We used VFM Windows from West Wickham. They did a brilliant job and you don't get the hard sell. Just a professional job for a reasonable price. In fact I think we're going to go back to them for our patio doors. It's only a local business, but you get an insurance backed guarantee and all the right documents.

#66 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Anyone have any experience of adding secondary glazing? I'm interested to know how much it might cost, and whether it would be a good solution to dealing with my drafty sash windows, or whether it would be better longer term to invest in having the sash windows renovated to make them draft-proof - which I'm imaging would be a lot more expensive?

I'm in a listed building, so replacing the windows isn't an option.

thanks, Mike
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#67 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

RBS Windows - based in Sutton did my timber double glazed replacements for my old victorian flat - sash cords in the bay window and hinged round the back, including one 3 x 2 metres - His price (and there was no monkeying around with discounts if you sign now kind of thing) was easily the keenest from the 3 and a half quotes that I managed to get and he did a good thorough job that I am really pleased with. I would have no hesitation using him again. The only downside was he took a while to do it - and when doing it, he took his time - but I would rather that than a rushed bodge job.

The contact is Ray (he's a carpenter by trade) and tel no is 07944 849 050 if anyone else is interested - I really struggled to get much interest and sensible prices from others

#68 Bond

Bond

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

There appears to be some sort of leak around a wooden sash window in our spare bedroom (2 floors up). The paint on the wall has started to bobble through damp and, after the heavy rain earlier in the week, a damp patch on the carpet. The water isn't coming down the interior wall but is, I think, inside. It's either getting in through the window frame itself (doubtful as I can't detect any wetness there), a gap between frame and window surround (can't see one) or somewhere in the brickwork (again, not obvious). My question is what sort of a tradesman do I call to have a look !? And then, has encountered anything similar and are do they have any recommendations. Grateful for any thoughts / advice ?

#69 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

I have recommended David O'Brien on this site before (as have others - under builders / showers etc). He runs a general building company and he has just fixed something that sounds very similar for a friend of mine - another 'sash window / leak issue' where again, my friend wasn't sure what was causing it. As you suggest, I think the main thing is to identify where the problem is but I am sure David can help. His email is David.Obrien357@ntlworld.com / Mobile - 07960 938621. Sounds like you might need to ask him to bring a long ladder with him!

#70 scuby

scuby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good company to install a velux roof window?
Thanks

#71 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

We used VFM Windows from West Wickham. ... In fact I think we're going to go back to them for our patio doors.

Hi Christophe, how did your patio doors turn out? We're hoping to have either sliding folding doors or French doors fitted and will be looking to get quotes soon.
aka Pie

#72 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

I have highlighted this on other topics but just to confirm I have now started a new project with a local norwood company which have been trading for over 15 years. A.K Assistance Ltd started off in the new build sector specializing in thermal efficient properties. However we have moved into the domestic refurbishment sector for Windows , Doors & Conservatories.

We can offer advice on replacing & repair wooden sash windows even on listed & conservation properties. To normal replacement UPVC windows, doors & conservatories which require certification.

All our quotes are inclusive of a personal guarantee & also include an IBG ( Insurance Back Guarantee ) policy inclusive in the price which protects the guarantee if anything was to happen to us.

A.K Assistance Ltd FENSA reg 32187 NHBC Registered house builder

Feel free to contact me on 07970 194116 for advice or a quote.

Dazza

PS We obviously still undertake major new build jobs / new extensions work as usual for advice or quote feel free to contact me on the number above or PM me.

#73 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations. We are hoping to go ahead with The Window Clinic based in South Norwood. Their price is very competitive and I was wondering if any forum members have knowledge of their work?
aka Pie

#74 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Just to update my previous post - the Window Clinic in South Norwood did a great job at a very competitive price. Their number is 0208 771 2200.
aka Pie

#75 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

A&B Windows on Anerley road replaced two cracked windows for me very promptly and satisfactorily. Thumbs up.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage