• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#16 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

Thanks again all. Not quite sure about biologically producing a cat, doesn't really bear thinking about, but who knows where gene research will go!

Am feeling generally quite paternal so I think the cats are on some psychological level a replacement for offspring round my place anyway!

Will let you know the outcome...

#17 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

Considering cats rarely stay in their own garden ( my neighbours cats are constantly shi**ing in mine!) I think it's crazy to say you can't have one as yours is too small, however I do agree with them doing home visits as I think it is important to make sure the cat is going to a good home, they are not just assessing the house it's also a way to assess you!

I heard there is a small cat shelter in Maberley Road, My sister is thinking of getting one but we have yet to find out how to get in there! All we've worked out is that it's on the side of the train track! If you peer down you can see them in a run.. I'll see if I can find out more soon. :ph34r:
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#18 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

Ah yes that would be in the house called Tamworth..... years ago me and my sister and I think my mum ended up taking a stray kitten there... Try ringing the bell on the gate....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#19 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

Ah yes that would be in the house called Tamworth..... years ago me and my sister and I think my mum ended up taking a stray kitten there... Try ringing the bell on the gate....

Ha ha! Good idea :) Is it the green one?
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#20 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:34 PM

Yes I think it is the green one.

It was over 10 years ago but I don't think things have changed.
Fighting Nightingales

#21 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:33 PM

Just thought I would let everyone know that I had great success several month's back with Barbara and her team at the Croydon branch of Cats Protections in Purley and since May I have had a lovely flatmate called Lucky, who is three and now very settled in. Takes himself for little wanders in the morning, then sits on a wall and watches people going to and from the station and then the rest of the time is sleeping in sunny windows. He's very affectionate but also quite independent. So it all ended happily! I can't recommend the CCP highly enough.

#22 Medusa

Medusa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I let you know that tomorrow I'll be picking up my new cat from the Croydon Animal Samaritans after being let down by the Croydon Cats Protection people. They said they had 100s of cats in need of adoption, but over a month down the line the only reply I got from them was through an email and they got my details mixed up with someone else's :blink:
I don't have children, no other pets, live in a quiet road and have a nice back garden, so there shouldn't be any problems! The lady who came in to see the house wasn't very friendly either.
Instead the Croydon Animal Samaritans have been great, I have dealt with three different ladies and Barbara is the lady where I'll be getting my new puss from. The cats are well cared for in the shelter and she was able to give me an accurate description of the cat's behaviour and history. They also have a brilliant website which is always up to date: www.croydonanimalsamaritans.co.uk
Can't wait to have him home tomorrow :D

#23 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:12 AM

We're looking at giving an adult cat a new home at the moment, so I popped onto VN to locate the closest cat rescue centres. Upon reading you're posts I decided to visit Tamworth, Maberley Road yesterday. I rang the bell on the green door four times but with no answer. Does anyone know if Tamworth is still operational and if it is how you can gain access to meet the cats? Cheers.

#24 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Molly, I don't know about Maberley Rd but we had no probs with the The Cats Protection League, tel 01403 221900. Admittedly it was 10 years ago so things may have changed since then. They put us in touch with our nearest local representative, a lady living just off Grange Road.

It's free - you just give a donation of what you can afford - and very well organised. Our cat came complete with microchip and without, er, reproductive capacity (if it's a kitten you have to promise to get it neutered). She's always been a laidback, affectionate old thing so I assume she was well treated.

Anyway good luck with the search. You have my sympathies - whodathunk it would be so hard to get a stray cat in London!

#25 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

My recollection of Tamworth and this goes back 12 years to be honest is that is was not formally a rescue place but simply a woman who would take in cats and look after them. Don't know if she is still there. The house is set back some way from the road so give her time to answer...
Fighting Nightingales

#26 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

Thanks so much for your advice and recommendations. I've just bought a fluffy male moggy home from Battersea Cats Home. Thankfully no home inspection was needed, I wasn't really looking forward to spending the whole weekend cleaning the house for the home-checker. Instead now I can spend that time getting to know the newest member of our family! :)

#27 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Congratulations on your new moggy!
Never mind about the home inspection, they could just take people round ours ... those shredded stair carpets and hairy sofas would surely deter any unfit owners... ;)

#28 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Congrats on the cat. I got my cat from Battersea Dog's Home too. She was 10/11 when we got her and we had her for six years but just had to have her put down because she was getting to old and frail. Definitely will be up there again to suss out their moggies. In my experience, Cat's Protection can be a bit prescious about the whole procedure. For good reasons I guess. But as a veteran cat owner I prefer not to go through the third degree. http://www.catchat.org/ is a fab one stop shop for all things cat.