• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#31 Florence

Florence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

Further to the previous thread on surprise costs added by MFI beware.... our MFI kitchen also had an 'additional' near 1K added to it by the installer for those bits one would assume are essential - like plumbing in the sink, wiring up the oven and all those little bits of wood that fill the gaps between units and walls etc. Tsk. Also installation terrible - Started 30th January, and hopefully (fingers crossed all please) our oven extractor/chimney will be put in THIS saturday!!! :angry: Service from MFI has been dreadful (fitter good though).
Again, reiterating others, a friend who renovates houses says go for Howdens or Ikea and get an independent fitter to install.

#32 King of the Hill

King of the Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

QualityFix on London Road in Croydon. John has worked there for about 25 years, he draughted it to our spec and then we looked at how to maximise space and toggled it a bit. We managed to fit all the appliances and a dishwasher...bliss. He showed a lot of interest and knowhow, worth visiting just for the knowledge. Excellent range and showed us some ideas we wouldn't have thought of. Our trips to Moben, MFI, B&Q IKEA showed us how not to do it. Very nice experience.

#33 beefqueen

beefqueen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Any other recommendations? I have a fairly small kitchen (about 10' by 6') and I'm wanting to spend no more than about 6,000. I spoke to Croydon Kitchen Studios who said they charge more around 15,000(!). I've also been to Ikea, but my walls are an odd size (177cm) and they were useless for ideas of fitting in units (and want 250 to confirm my measurements). MFI are coming tomorrow, but they (and Magnet, who have already quoted) have terrible reputations and seem to think 6,000 isn't enough.

Ideally, I'd like someone to confirm my measurements, fit Ikea units I buy myself and do the associated plumbing/tiling/carpentry jobs. But everything seems to be more around the 7,000/8,000 mark, which seems excessive for a small kitchen where I can source the appliances cheaply myself.

Ta!

#34 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

The prob with the IKEA kitchen is that the builders charge a little fortune for cutting and shaping the units acording to the size of your kitchen; the costs very much depend on what kind of works you need to do (tiling? knock down walls?), the the quality of the appliances (assuming you have to buy new ones) and the worktop can be expensive - I spent 14k with a kitchen similar sized to yours however I "splashed" on the Worktop (circa 5k), I had a new boiler installed cost 1.6k.

My costs included:
To strip out existing kitchen
To close doorway between kitchen and hallway
To fit and supply new kitchen
All necessary electrical work including under cabinet lighting including
To tile floor
To decorate the ceiling and walls
To fit 6 recessed ceiling lights on dimmer
To restore kitchen window and make draft proof
To fit new radiator under window

Dishwasher
Butler sink
Cooker hood
Tap
Washer-Dryer
Rangecooker
Floor tiles
Microwave + frame
Blind
Worktop engineered stone
New Boiler

It depends on what you need to do/buy.

Hope this helps

LSPE
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#35 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Hello Beefy (think I recognise your name from another site ;) ). I recently had my kitchen done and like you didnt want to spend a fortune. B&Q came out and quoted me 6k, that was still 2k more than I had in mind (having previously had an extension built in my old house that included a brand new kitchen and bathroom, 4k is emminently doable if you're prepared to design yourself and get independent fitters - I wasn't this time). This time, my best quote came from a company that keeps the existing underlying cupboards, but replaces absolutely everything else, from doors to work surfaces to appliances - I had everything done. And you can make changes too i.e. I had new cupboards added, and a tower fridge freezer taken out (it took up too much room and blocked the light) to be replaced by a smaller built-in under the counter fridge with freezer compartment. It really does look like a brand new kitchen and I'm very happy with the result. I'm happy to send you a picture if you'd be interested (I don;t fancy posting it on a public site). I had a brand new built in oven, hob, sink, taps, doors, surfaces, plinths, and it cost me 5k, and took only 3 days to fit.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#36 schlim76

schlim76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hello

I'm due to have a new kitchen in the next few weeks, can anyone recommend a good fitter/s in the Penge/CP/Sydenham/Norwood area?

Thank you!

:)

#37 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:48 AM

bump! Any more reccies?

#38 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

I'm guessing that Jordan, recommended by Silver in another thread, would be great for this. We had him in for some estimates (yet to be done, but that's us, not him!) and found him a very good person to deal with. He seems an all-rounder in the construction business.

If you want a reasonable company (not individual), we have had work done by
Renown Smith (also see another thread ...exterior works?) who were reasonable, reliable, etc. They have subsequently worked for friends who also liked them.

#39 Mister H

Mister H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Not sure if this should be in the Kitchen installation or Carpenter\Joiner thread as this guy does both admirably, but I would like to recommend Dave Bennett of Summerly trading.
Dave recently did a superb job of fitting our new kitchen including units, worktops and lighting.
He even took the time to order our worktops directly from the supplier to save cash.
Very hard working, trust worthy and reasonably priced. He left the kitchen completely spotless when finished and it looks amazing!
We have also recently called him back to do some other joinery work which was all done to a superb standard.

Highly recommended.

#40 Mikesmith999

Mikesmith999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

Ian The Dulwich Handyman www.dulwichhandyman.com. Provides units from Benchmarx. Not too costly, the same range as wickes. He's just finished mine no problems.

Edited by Mikesmith999, 31 May 2009 - 09:35 AM.

#41 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Is Ian still working? I have been trying to contacvt him, but his phone is always switched off.
Rachel
My link

#42 linda

linda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hi there

I just wondered if anyone has had any recent experience with a kitchen installer and could recommend them? I have been let down and need someone pretty urgently. Many thanks

#43 linda

linda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

As you know, I posted back in June, desperate to find a kitchen installer/carpenter to rectify a kitchen fit which had gone disastrously wrong!

Mike Odell (07956 882324) came to the rescue. He worked tirelessly and conscientiously and his level of commitment was outstanding, often speaking to me in the evenings with suggestions and advice. Nothing was too much trouble for Mike. I found him to be extremely professional, reliable and industrious, never cutting corners (unlike his predecessor!) I received a premium service at a competitive price and would recommend him to anyone.

#44 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Can anyone recommend someone to fit a new hob/oven? I have a fitted kitchen but the old unit has stopped working.

#45 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

VN favourite David 'Mick' O'Brien and his team know their stuff when it comes to fitting all components of the fitted kitchen. His mobile number is 07960938621. He fits Howdens equipment which I really rate...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.