Photo

The Postal Order

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. Good (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. Average (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

4. Poor (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:13 PM

Yes, I know it's a Wetherspoons. Yes, I know it's the same as every other Wetherspoons in the UK. And yes, I know it's boring and standard, but I was more than impressed. The food was excellent as always, the beer selection is superb, and some of the locals were friendly. The staff were excellent, quick and hard working, and yet they made you feel like they'd invited you into their homes. They couldn't do enough for us.

Our experience exactly! I can't understand their poor rating here. I've only once had cause for complaint when my chips were lukewarm, and they quickly returned with a fresh double portion. They're also very happy to give you a taste of a beer before you buy which is great. Such a shame about the lack of a garden out back. I wish they could take over the premises where Gautama bar is now!

And slightly off topic, for other Wetherspoons fans there's as great one at Camden Lock - modern swish decor and you can sit outside by the canal.

Edited by Sylvester, 04 June 2010 - 12:14 PM.

aka Pie

#17 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

I have unjustly overlooked the Wetherspoons in favour of the Triangle's trendier full price venues, but never again, went in last night needing to wash away the taste of a poor pint from the Alma and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The bar staff were knowledgeable and friendly, let us sample the banana beer, bit too sickly at that stage so opted for a pint of Market Porter. The range of beers on offer were good, our two pints were perfection in a glass, and we enjoyed sitting in a booth with the only background noise being the burble of the other punters' chatter. Two pints and a bag of crisps for under a fiver. It could have been cheaper but I'm forever forgetting my CAMRA 50p off a pint vouchers!

Top marks.

#18 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

They do banana beer? Might have to reassess and reevaluate now.

#19 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Probably worth pointing out that they are in the middle of their beer festival, so a little cheaper than usual.
They had banana bread beer last time and struggled to sell it so reduced it to 1 a pint, so keep your eyes peeled'
Also agree with Sylvesta's earlier post, really doesn't deserve the poor rating it gets.
They are organising a brewery tour/ pub crawl day out in May if anyone is interested. See 'Beer prices in the triangle' thread.

#20 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

They do banana beer? Might have to reassess and reevaluate now.

Was in there tonight. Also have a Lemon flavour golden ale and a ginger flavour ale.
Seem to have sorted out a few problems as the beers were a bit cloudy until recently.

#21 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Havent been in there for a few months but always got the feeling it attracts ruddy faced boozers who enjoy a cheap drink and stay in there most of the day whilst the rest of the world goes about it's business

#22 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Not my favorite place to drink but Wetherspoons now have pubs in the good beer guide & are championing real ales.

But when I am in the pub I always like to look out of the window at people peering in who are thinking that they are far to grand to visit this establishment !

Whats wrong with watching the world go by whilst having a pint, I have done it all my adult life !

Dazza

PS Yuk Banana bread beer by Wells so wrong on so many levels! CP Andy theres obviously something very wrong with you !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#23 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Not my favorite place to drink but Wetherspoons now have pubs in the good beer guide & are championing real ales.

But when I am in the pub I always like to look out of the window at people peering in who are thinking that they are far to grand to visit this establishment !

Whats wrong with watching the world go by whilst having a pint, I have done it all my adult life !

Dazza

Certainly dont think I'm too grand for Weatherspoons and nowt wrong with watching the world go by - have had many an enjoyable occassions meeting friends for a few beers in there - just find the one up the Palace a bit depressing somehow - which apart from the formulaic decor and lack of buzz I can only put down to the dowdy atmosphere created by some of the people that it seems to attract - thats just my opinion mind and will doubtless try it again in the not too distant

#24 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Must admit it ours does seem a bit rougher round the edges than some ! But its amazing what you can get used too !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#25 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

I used to go there regularly with an ex years ago _ Sill say hi in the street to some people I met there but quite a few who used to drink in there (8-10 years ago) have popped their clogs.
As well as a cheap pub the CP seems to double up almost as a day centre for a fair few (mainly older, relatively heavy drinkers) who seem to be there from dawn 'til dusk in the same seats/clusters - not knocking that by the way, I am glad that they aren't having to spend the day on their lonesomes.

#26 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:14 PM

It's worse as a smoker, it's like you are lined up outside on an ID parade with their new bright lighting, being exposed as a spoons customer.

Still like the pub though, the heavy drinking crowd seem to be more day shift, come the evenings you get people with laptops and books etc.
There is even one bloke who drinks in there who has a public school accent!

#27 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

I was in there on Monday night :ph34r:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#28 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

There is even one bloke who drinks in there who has a public school accent!

Damn - cover busted!

#29 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Damn - cover busted!

I thought it was Hermit being self-deprecating... But no, there are two of you...

[smiley + appropriate Latin tag]
opposed to taking terrapins.

#30 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

I thought it was Hermit being self-deprecating... But no, there are two of you...

[smiley + appropriate Latin tag]

I think the parents would ask for their money back if they sent me to public school and I came away talking as I do!

That narrows it down to Zirconium (I thought you was Irish?) ;)

Reason for edit- Spelling (My school got shut down a few years after I left)

Edited by Hermit, 30 March 2011 - 10:34 PM.