Photo

The Postal Order

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. Good (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. Average (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

4. Poor (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

Popped in here yesterday - I am a fan of Banana Bread Beer (sorry Dazza - oh btw I also had the last bangla in palace spice on monday night but Manic assures me he was stocking up) usually have it from a bottle in Youngs establishments so tried it here on draught and it was pretty rough to be honest.

You can't knock JDW for their range and prices. But they are not all that reliable on the beer front at least thats been my experience on a few occasions.

I'll be sticking to the Uncle Wilf Hostelry Trio - Royal Albert, Alma and Grape & Grain.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

Popped in for a family Cuzza last night & Bangla stocks replenished I am happy to say !

Banana beer wilf I always knew there was something weird about you too ! Spotted you in the Alma the other day ( England V Ireland rugby) but noted you was drinking the guinesss not the bitter !

I prefer the Postal Order than the Alma as their bitters are undrinkable i find !

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 31 March 2011 - 08:35 AM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#33 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Glad to hear the bangla's are restocked.

Yeah I wouldn;t drink bitter in the alma - used to have the adnams sometimes back in the day but it was hit and miss.

The Alma's a proper pub though with a much better atmosphere than the postal order which can feel like a hotel bar sometimes. Plus the Alma has a free jukebox at the moment.... and although the Guinness is of the extra cold variety (i prefer regular) it is drinkable.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#34 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

Yeah I wouldn;t drink bitter in the alma - used to have the adnams sometimes back in the day but it was hit and miss.

The Alma's a proper pub though with a much better atmosphere than the postal order...

That was so far from the reality on Monday night, I wondered if The Alma had given up on Mondays as the crowds were clearly enjoying the big band in the Grape & Grain and the quiz in The White Hart, or a quiet night in the Spoons.

I wish I'd seen the warnings about The Alma's ales beforehand :blink:

#35 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Bit of a love hate hate relationship with t'Spoons. The beer is, more often than not, good. Just recently there have been some really poor Ales in the 'Festival'but you can't fault them on price. Sadly, it has no atmosphere and is uncomfortable and the place doesn't really work as either a drinking establishment or an eatery. It seems to fall between two stools, as do the clientele by 8:30 on most evenings.

I loved The Albert. It used to be at the centre of social life in the Triangle. It's slow descent has been a heart breaker.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#36 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

.... It seems to fall between two stools, as do the clientele by 8:30 on most evenings.

:P

....I loved The Albert. It used to be at the centre of social life in the Triangle. It's slow descent has been a heart breaker.

What happened?

Edited by Summit Lover, 31 March 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#37 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

:P

What happened?

Fang stopped going there so often.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#38 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

His presence - or lack of it - can make or break a pub? :o

Wowzer..... to have such power :blink:

#39 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

You flater me (I think). If you go back through the mists of time the Royal Albert was a gem. Oak panelling, two bars, leaded windows with old glass. Clean, well run and well maintained. The beer pumps would be connected to the correct barrels in the cellar, the lines regularly cleaned. You could have a pint with friends without constantly being offered items which had been nicked from Sainsburys some 10 minutes earlier by some low life.

The rot started when Frank, the last decent Manager, left for Blackheath where he won Bass Manager of the year on two consecutive years.

The Albert then suffered a succession of inept managers before South London Taverns decided to re-brand the Pub by tearing the windows out, painting over the Oak panelling, doing away with the separate bars and installing a succession of even less competent managers.

There was a post on The Crystal Palace Supporters site a couple of years back which summed the place up.

A group of fans wanted to have a post match drink in the Triangle. They were suggesting pubs, The Hollybush, The Alma, The White Hart when one of them asked;

"What about the pub set back from the road opposite the old Woolworths? The one where everyone smells of wee wee?"

Hmmmmmmm.Quality.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#40 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Realise we are veering off topic but I remember the Albert then :) It had rows of toby jugs hanging from the ceiling in the back bar as I recall that always caught my attention.

#41 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Realise we are veering off topic but I remember the Albert then :) It had rows of toby jugs hanging from the ceiling in the back bar as I recall that always caught my attention.

How long have you lived up here SL? They went sometime ago.

#42 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

How long have you lived up here SL? They went sometime ago.

24 years

#43 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

24 years

About the same as me.

#44 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

First time in there yesterday. First impression wasn't great - ordered drinks and proceeded to watch barman embark on a lengthy conversation with another customer before he even thought about pouring them out. Rescued by another barman thankfully.

That said, I quickly warmed to the place. No banging techno, no wailing chavs, no footie on tv, a decent pint and standard though fulfilling pub grub. Will be going back even if I'll be avoiding barman No 1.

#45 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

...no wailing chavs

You do get them on a Friday and Saturday night, unfortunately. They often get tanked up on the cheap then move on elsewhere.
They have just had a change around of staff, most of the decent ones have left.
Still like the place and the Ale is improving after a rather cloudy patch.