Photo

Mantanah

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Good (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Mantanah
2 Orton Buildings, Portland Road, South Norwood, London SE25 4UD
Opening Hours TBA

Tel: 020 8771 1148

Edited by Summit Lover, 26 September 2010 - 08:26 AM.
Amended contact details

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:13 AM

Have been intending to go for a meal here for a long time but haven't got round to it yet. By all accounts the food is meant to be very good - so will read the reviews with interest!

#3 Acorna

Acorna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

This restaurant is tucked out of the way a bit, almost under the railway bridge in South Norwood, which might account for why there was only one other table in use on the time when we visited recently.

The food was excellent, with some imaginative vegetarian and meat options, I thought, although some of it was, perhaps, a bit greasy for me, having been deep fried.

The service was particularly good, and included a free bottle of a new lager they were testing, and about which they asked us to comment!

Overall, a restaurant worth a visit.

#4 aldaweb

aldaweb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

This is my local and the food is good but a bit too much tofu and being small it's a friendly atmosphere but can be smoky when busy (not good for my asthmatic girlfriend). The seafood is their speciality though they don't seem to do the dreamy trout with almond and coconut any more.
A Time Out award winner in previous years too.

#5 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:34 AM

Been meaning to visit Mantanah for 3 years since living here, particularly as I've read that is good for veggie food.
Finally went this week and really enjoyed the meal. The decor is very pretty and the house wine only &8-perfect!
We had mixed veggie starters which were more unusual than the other Thai resturants locally (like Tamnag etc) and less greasy (I usually feel a bit sick after the deep fried starters in Tamnag).
The main courses were also unusual and used very fresh Tofu which is nothing like the rubbery stuff in some chinese restaurants-dishes were quite spicy though.
The bill was very reasonable and there is a buffet on sundays which I will definately return for.

#6 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

Went to Mantanah last night for a bit of a change and was quite impressed! Nice to see a whole separate (and interesting!) veggie menu and was impressed with the service and the price. Was quite busy too, and I think we were lucky to get a table despite booking a few days earlier. Definitely worth a visit.

#7 duddle

duddle

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

I can't rave enough about this restaurant. The food is excellent and truly authentic, and so is the service.
My favourite local, without a doubt.

#8 flash1969

flash1969

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Visited Mantanah last night, is one of our favourite restaurants in the area. Considering it's location and the plethora of competitors in the area, it's a gem!

The menu has a wide choice, with some dishes not being just your bog standard options. They have included some regional Thai dishes which you don't always see.

The staff are very friendly, with the warmest welcome, and are more than ready to recommend dishes to suit your palate. The service they offer is very attentive.

Mantanah also appears in Time Out guides as being highly recommended. Well worth a visit.

#9 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Visited Mantanah last night, is one of our favourite restaurants in the area. Considering it's location and the plethora of competitors in the area, it's a gem!

The menu has a wide choice, with some dishes not being just your bog standard options. They have included some regional Thai dishes which you don't always see.

The staff are very friendly, with the warmest welcome, and are more than ready to recommend dishes to suit your palate. The service they offer is very attentive.

Mantanah also appears in Time Out guides as being highly recommended. Well worth a visit.

Visited Mantannah last week! Oh my gosh, why hadn't I gone to this place sooner! I had a fish dish, which was lovely. I'd lost hope on eating establishments in SN. But Mantannah has just given me hope!

#10 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Just been for an amazing Thai meal - really friendly staff and the food was sooooo tasty.... definately give this one a try and you're never look back....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#11 tekton23

tekton23

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Just back from Mantanah tonight and really genuinely impressed! It is our third visit and the food was just fantastic. I hope they open a restaurant up here on the triangle some day soon, as I am sure they would do very well. The food is very genuine, very fresh and has a fantastic flavour.
We had a good chat with the friendly staff tonight too, I think they take a real passion in their cooking. We will definitely be back for more!

T23

#12 Shar

Shar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Fantastic Thai food. I had a noodle dish which was lovely, but I just couldn't stop eating DP's Hilltribe curry and sticky rice - so spicy, so hot, so delicious and perfect washed down with a Chang.

They are refurbishing although not sure when exactly. If you fancy a Thai meal come on down the hill (not all at once though, I'd like a table).

Will definitely be back and this time will order my own curry!

Edited by Shar, 07 August 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#13 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Mantannah is closed for refurb from the 11th August until 28th August 2014. During that period they will still be doing takeaways and delivery orders.

#14 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

I would love to be able to review the food at Mantanah but our takeaway order never arrived. We ordered online and received a confirmation but 1.5hrs later (10pm) discovered that they had lost the order. Very disappointed (not to mention hungry), after reading all the favourable reviews.