Allotments

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:42 PM

I'm wondering if any of you have allotments. I'm getting into growing veggies these days but have very little space in my garden, which tends to be in partial shade for much of the day anyway. I've been thinking of taking one on (or, more likely, putting myself on a waiting list). I've seen the Spa Hill one, and am tempted, but it's not very near to me. I also know there's a smallish allotment in Maberley Road, but I've heard from a previous allotment-holder there that it's not a very friendly place and there were lots of rules and restrictions. I don't drive so I really need one which is accessible at least by a short bus ride from the triangle (ideally, walking distance, though that's probably not realistic) with the possibility of keeping a shed onsite.

So, does anyone else have one? If so, any particular recommendations for your site/any warnings about possible pitfalls? Have I been overlooking another site I should consider putting myself on the list for?

#2 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:37 PM

Spa Hill used to be a good site.

There is one on Biggin Hill that might be worth looking at.....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#3 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

My garden overlooks the maberley road allotment and my boyfriend tried to sign us up for one but they said the waiting list was already so huge that there was no point.

We've dug a great chunk of our lawn out and have a veg plot there instead - not the prettiest solution but its location is very handy!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#4 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

Yes, I've been going down the 'dig chunks out of your lawn' route too, and could probably widen that bed slightly, though I still need some room to sit out there in the summer.

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Digging up the lawn is the route I've gone down too. This year will be my first year of vegetable growing. I've dug up the lawn and got my raised beds ready - just waiting to start planting now.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

What kind of raised beds, Gekko? Are they waist high like the ones in the Wildlife Trust's East Dulwich gardens, or just slightly raised? I am vaguely thinking of turning the dug-out beds from the lawn into something with a more defined edge and raising the level slightly.

Edited by elleme, 02 March 2006 - 12:41 PM.

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:56 PM

Hi Elleme.

They are just slightly raised (15-20cm) so that I could dig some organic compost (and some manure for the potato bed) into the existing soil, which is clay. Clay is supposed to be quite good for growing veg, but if it's too heavy it won't drain so I wanted to break it up a bit. For the edges, I've used 'Link-a-bord' for one of the beds and those wooden logs that are strung together for the other. Link-a-bord (which you can buy online from their website) is supposed to hold the heat, but I don't know if it will make any difference. I got it on special offer from Kitchen Garden magazine, otherwise I prob wouldn't have bothered as wood looks better.

I'm going to be using a rotation system and will be loosely following the square-foot gardening method as I am short on space. I'm going to try and grow some stuff in pots to free up space in the beds.

It's my first year growing veggies so I'm a bit of a novice. I've read a couple of books, but will be seeing what works and what doesn't and learning lots as I go along :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hi. We've got an allotment at Rosendale Road, but it sounds as if that would be impractical for you.

Have you also thought about growing veg in pots on the patio? I missed most of last year's Gardeners' World, but I believe Monty Don got good results from growing veg in containers. 'Tumbler' tomatoes do well in hanging baskets - the year we grew them, from 3 plants we got more than we could eat.

The Lambeth Country Show is on 15/16 July and the Lambeth Horticultural Society summer show is on 2 September. Both of these have competitions for fruit and veg, which are open to non-members. PM me if you'd like details of how to enter.

Happy gardening!

#9 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

No patio here, but one handy thing this garden has is a small greenhouse, so I've been growing tomatoes in containers in there over the last couple of summers and other stuff like chillies where I could fit them in. I've got loads of Gardener's Delight seeds left over from last year, but might have a go with Tumbler another time, as I think that would be more space-efficient. I joined LHS last year at the Lambeth show and they seem to have sent another newsletter and renewed my membership card, so I've probably got the details. Don't know if I'll grow anything which is show-worthy, though!

Edited by elleme, 02 March 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#10 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

I love the fact that you've all been digging out your lawn! Make sure you start a blog about it so we can all go and have a look! Al's (my boyfriend) garden blog is here:
http://anythingbutsprouts.blogspot.com

[Oh, and he's just good a book deal with Faber & Faber, so hopefully soon he'll be added to the "Famous people in CP" thread! Sorry to go off-topic, but I'm a little over-excited - only happened the other day and it's all happened very suddenly as well. :blink: ]
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#11 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

It looks like I'm going to be in London far more from this summer. If this happens then an allotment is high up on a list of things to do. But I accept I'm in for a long wait.
The nearest is Maberley Road, Anerley, which happens to be the one I know least about.
Then there are allotments at Spa Hill and Grange Lane. Spa Hill is a bit closer but Grange Lane is the allotments on the edge of Dulwich & Sydenham Woods overlooking London. Often spotted between trees whe walking through the woods, I'd love to be up there in the summer
I have links for these two ( and Rosendal Allotments) that show you how to get onto their waiting lists.

Grange Lane http://grangelane.com/waiting.html
Spa Hill http://www.spahill.org.uk/society.htm
Rosendale Allotments http://www.rosendale...ode/get/get.asp

But what I'd really like is to invade the abandoned playing fields behind Anerley Town Hall and turn into one big allotment :)

#12 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:03 PM

Gardening and crochet - my two favourite things - in the same thread! I can't believe my eyes! :D

#13 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the link Belle. The blog looks really interesting so can't wait to read it.

Congrats to your boyfriend on the book deal too!
Mel, Forum Moderator