212 replies to this topic

#1 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Reading Group Update

Reading group now meets the last Wednesday of each month in Domali at 7.30pm, to discuss our latest book choice and get a few cocktails in the happy hour!

New members extremely welcome! Check the most recent posts for the chosen book and maybe a bit of discussion.

Original post...

After a decidedly minimal turn-out at the reading group last night, we decided not to set a book, but to have a meeting in the next couple of weeks to make decision over a drink or two.

This means no commitment to read anything, just turn up! If you haven't been before it is a good opportunity to come along for the first time.

All we need to decide is a date! I was going to set a poll but I realise I would inevitably on choose potential dates which are suitable for me, which is a bit selfish :rolleyes: , so please put forward some suggestions and we'll take it from there.

We really need to get a few more people coming along on a regular basis otherwise there isn't much point in continuing the group. :(

Edit: The date is now decided as Monday March 27th - 7pm in Domali (in time for happy hour!) Please come along!

Edited by weeble, 07 December 2006 - 10:23 AM.

#2 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

I would certainly like to continue and was disappointed not to be able to make it on Wednesday. I am relatively flexible for the rest of March, but not the very end as my wedding is looming.....

#3 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

How about picking a week, and then polling for the day?

(Say the week of 20 to 24 March; or the one after?)

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

I'm pretty free the next few weeks apart from on a Tuesday.

A few things for the pot:

I've found it quite difficult to get through the books we have been reading for the group AND to read other books I want to read too. I was in a reading group a few years back and left for the same reason - I never had time to read anything else I wanted to read. This is very important to me as I always have a stack of half a dozen books I desperately want to read. So, I guess I could never commit to coming to every meeting - just the books I was most interested in reading.

The woman (sorry don't know her name) in Bookseller Crow was quite keen to advertise our reading group in their shop. I think we should follow this up as the more people involved the better. That way, it doesn't matter when some people can't make it on the night. If you have four people and two don't show it's a bit crap, but if you have ten then it's not really a problem. It also means we get to meet new people and introduce them to the delights of VN :) .

I think we need to set realistic time lengths for people to read the book, especially if it's quite long. We've had a couple of books (Tin Drum, Jonathan Strange) which many people couldn't finish before the meeting.

Lastly, I think we need to take advantage of the forum more. Some people read the book but can't make it to the meeting. It would be good if they could still discuss it. We should discuss the book on the forum as well as our meet up. Someone could post up some discussion points to stimulate conversation...

I still think the reading group has lots of potential if we branch out to try and get more people to come.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

Good points, Mel.

I know a couple of people at SLT who are interested in book groups generally so will let them know when we've got a firmer idea of date.

#6 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

I agree too, I am always in the middle of another book which I would prefer to finish. Plus it's not always easy to get hold of the book quickly, especially if it's not one of the current crop.
aka Pie

#7 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

I just moved to the Crystal Palace area recently and would love to meet some local people so count me in on a March meeting!

I have been reading the forum avidly and am just constanlty surprised (pleasantly of course) by the sense of community and just general niceness everywhere!

Hope to see you soon!
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hi Silke - welcome to Crystal Palace and Virtual Norwood. It would be great to see you at the book group and at the monthly VN socials that James organises.

Mel
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

I haven't made it yet to any of the VN book group meetings but hope I'll get there one day. I am, though, a member of another book group and I'd second what Sylvester says about the problems of picking hard-to-find books. I'm probably going to miss my book group's next meeting because I'm not likely to have the time or energy to track down the book beforehand.

I agree too with Gekko about the need to allow enough time to read the book but, again based on our group's experience, I would say that the answer is to pick shortish books rather than move the dates of the meetings. It's confusing for everyone - and especially for people who don't come every time - if the dates move around. Better (in my view) to commit to a fixed date in the month (or, if you want to allow some flexibility for people with other regular commitments, a fixed week) and then pick a manageable length book. Another advantage of that approach is that people may be willing to read a 150-page book that doesn't really appeal to them, just for the sake of joining the group discussion, but they probably won't want to devote weeks to ploughing through some huge tome.

Hope to meet you all at future meetings!

#10 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

Headgardener - some very good points, and it would be great to see you at our meets. Likewise Silke! :)

Well how about we meet in the last week of March this month, and we can discuss issues like fixing a date then.

The dates would therefore be

Mon 27th
Tue 28th
Wed 29th
Thu 30th
Fri 31st

I think that week is the start of the Easter holidays so I've got no evening class commitments which makes me quite flexible that week - preferably not Tuesday, but any other day is fine.

What about everyone else?

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Likewise, any day apart from the Tuesday would be fine.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Any night that week is good for me!
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#13 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

I too am happy with any night but Tuesday -- evidently the day of the week when everything else happens.

#14 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

Tuesday must be the new Thursday (which is of course the New Friday, and Friday is the New Saturday, or something?) :rolleyes:

#15 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

Only Monday or Tuesday would be good for me that week, but last minute wedding stuff may crop up so don't count on me.