• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:14 AM

Is there anyone that remembers the Pub in Croydon that was called The Tavern in the Town, and just opposite it to the right was a Concert Hall, where I saw Cliff Richard, and the shadows, along with Olivia Newton john as well. The pub had visitors from all over london, and also Surrey

#2 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hi again Sylvia!
I used to go to Croydon quite a bit in the early 80's. I remember the Tavern on the Town! I also remember going to a pub called the Kings Cellers in George St. There was another one that backed onto Surrey St, cant remember the name now, but I had my 21st birthday party there! You had to go through an alley to get to it, I remember the name now, The Horn and Trumpet! We also used to go to the Star and see bands. And of course the Ship and Swan and Sugar Loaf! Happy days.

#3 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

I used to go to both the Tavern in the Town and also the Kings Cellars right up until the mid to late 90's as quite a few of us used to go there from Croydon College.

Like most of the pubs and clubs that I used to visit in Croydon they are either closed down or have a different name. The central point of Croydon seems to have moved form where the Blue Orchid was to where Yates is now.

Progress I suppose.!

#4 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

Glad someone remembers the Kings Cellars! We used to go to a club called the Underground and also Dr Jims, which then became The green dragon. And if we were really desperate.... Scamps...

... and upstairs, I think, fromthe Tavern inthe Town, was once the Greyhound. We used to go there and see punk bands. Saw 999 and The Damned there. Ive still got a punk scrap book with flyers I kept. They closed it down because the floor was giving way due to the pogoing!!

#5 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:48 AM

hello, every one,
Apart from the pubs does any one remember the Locarno, in Streatham, which eventually changed it's name to The Cat's whiskers, the Croydon Suite, the Cherry orchid at purley. I saw a lot of groups at the Locarno, especially the Who, I saw them live at the Wimbledon Palace as well, smashing up all of their equipment. They were the places I loved to go with all of my friends to dance, and of course checking out all of the people faces when they were giving someone a good look to check them out. oh they were the good old days. There was another night club at Croydon as well, but I can not think of it at present can any one else.

Sylvia

#6 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

The ORCHID Purley = Mowtown / Regaee
Fairfield Hall Croydon - Supremes & many others
???? Croydon - Ossibesa

#7 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:40 AM

When I got my first Saturday job in Croydon at the tender age of 16, I would regularly end up in "The Office" on Church St. I also remember going to the club in Coulsdon (the cat's whiskers?) also around the same time. My sister was dating the bouncer from the pub/club at the end of the shopping centre near St George's Walk, I think it was the greyhound.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#8 Crofty

Crofty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:27 PM

I also remember going to a pub called the Kings Cellers in George St

Maybe I am getting too old and my mind is playing tricks with me, but wasn't the Kings Cellars in Park Street? Many a night I spent there with the love of my life(well, I was only 17 at the time!) smooching over the sounds of the Commodores. Funnily enough I actually met her in the Tavern in the Town which is how this thread stared when we were both 16.

Other pubs I remember were the Horn and Trumpet and the Cartoon.

#9 mike73

mike73

Mike

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

I think you right, the kings cellars was in park street, just round the corner from the Blue orchid, the one in george street was called the Rue St george i think!

#10 Spike

Spike

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

Apart from the pubs does any one remember the Locarno, in Streatham, which eventually changed it's name to The Cat's whiskers,

Apparently, the Locarno was one of THE London nightspots in the 40's and 50's. I'm not sure when it became the Cat's Whiskers, but sometime in the early 80's it changed its name to The Studio. It's been through a number of name changes since then and for the last 10 years or so, it has been Caesars. By all accounts, it's a bit of a dive.

#11 cdm131

cdm131

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

I remember the Tavern In The Town - I think that in the late 70s it was a Berni or Schooner Inn (ie a steak house). I was a frequent disco-er at Scamps (they let us in even though none of us were 18 !!) ... and then there was 'The Cartoon' which was still a noisy pub then - lots of Selhurst High School pupils gravitated there !!

#12 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

Wasnt the Kings Cellers previolsy called Snifters ?

Does anyone remember Peppermint Park it was the other side of St Georges walk from the Blue Orchid . I saw Sigue Sigue Sputnik there in the 80's who were evil they gobbed on my mate who took offense & threw his plastic pint with drink at the lead singers face. This didnt go down to welll & we had an allmighty scrap with the bouncers whilst they screamed on.

Happy Days

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#13 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

Peppermint Park was called The Underground when you saw SSS - I used to go there religiously to see bands... it was a sad day when that closed down. :(
The King's Cellars had a few names (I worked above it in Nestle and can't for the life of me remember any of them) but I don't think Snifters was one of them - I think Snifters wine bar was a few doors south from The Ship (another haunt!).

#14 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Of course it was the underground Nork 1 how could I forget ! Peppermint Park sounds far to poncy for the likes of the SSS. I used to work for Brooke Bond Foods in Leon House & then moved to Nestle for a short while after that. Perhaps our paths crossed paths Nork 1 I was a MRP/SAP person which was all the buzz in the late 80's early 90's .

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#15 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

I was there '87 - '92 until they merged with Rowntree in York. Used to work on B2 in the computer room... it was more like a social club than a job! Strangely enough I also worked in Leon House on Y2K stuff for CitiBank. I don't think there's a pub in Croydon I haven't drunk/been drunk in.

Edited by Nork1, 23 January 2008 - 06:46 PM.