• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 anerleylad

anerleylad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

I will be going away in June for 10 days and I am looking for somebody to 'cat sit' Any ideas?

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

If you are prepared to pay, try doing a search for "cat sitter" - there are various threads. I use Sitting Kittty.
Rachel
My link

#3 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

Me, I do cat sitting. I will send you a PM.

Gemster

#4 Lucy Hawkes

Lucy Hawkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hi,
I live locally and love cats, and would be interested in cat sitting. Are you actually wanting someone to house sit and look after the cat, or just pop in and feed the cat? If you are interested you can email me at lucymagdalen@hotmail.com, or give me a ring on 07855646609.

Best wishes

Lucy

#5 triangle fan

triangle fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Anerleylad. Try city kittens- details on the web. very good

Edited by triangle fan, 26 March 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:03 AM

We always use Cat Calls who are really good. If you do a forum search you will find the contact details as this subject has been discussed a few times before.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 Songda

Songda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

We've used Sitting Kitty many times - they have a website at www.sittingkitty.co.uk.

#8 helenlewis

helenlewis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

Hello everyone,
I am a self-employed 20-something who works from home as a freelance writer. I'm thinking about establishing a new service for people living in and around Crystal Palace to care for pets (cats primarily) while their owners are on holiday or out at work. I am a pet owner myself and I know how difficult it is to leave your cat for longer than a few hours. They get bored and want cuddles, they want food and water, and you want to know that they're OK. So, as I work at home and live in the Crystal Palace triangle, I am happy to offer a cat care service to all the pet lovers out there that also have lives of their own to get on with!

We can pre-arrange the days you would like me to pop round to check on your cat. Whether it is a long business meeting, an overnight stay or a week's holiday, I'll check the diary, ensure I'm around, and block book the time to pop round and visit your cat! The service also has the added benefit of having someone ensure your house is OK while you are away.

This business idea is in its early stages, but I'm keen to get going, as I know there are a lot of cats in the area, and a lot of busy professionals. The fee would be extremely competitive and realistic. I can provide character references and we'd obviously meet to discuss your cat's eating habits etc.

What do you think? Is this something you would consider for your cat? All feedback is really welcome.

Many thanks,
Helen Lewis

#9 randomv

randomv

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi Helen

It is most definitely something I woudl be interested in. I have two cats and have used a cat sitting service for all my vacations, business trips for the last few years. In my experience the cats are much much happier being in their own home than a cattery, but you're right they do need a bit of attention all day.
I've only recently moved to this area and haven't been away yet, so I've not looked for a cat sitter so far, so please keep us updated - and good luck!

#10 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

Just wanted to put in a good word for "The Cat's Friend", aka Christina Welsh. She's based in Sydenham and will travel to Dulwich, Gipsy Hill, Upper Norwood etc.. She usually visits twice a day and costs about 7/day. We like her and found her to be very good with our two cats.

#11 Zizi

Zizi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who is willing to do some cat sitting while I am away? I am looking for a retired person or a at home mum etc who would be willing to come and feed my cats and make sure they are ok. I am willing to pay a fee for the service, but the professional ones are way too expensive especially if I go for a long period. I sometimes have to travel on the spur of the moment so cattery's are not always possible. Both my cats are indoor cats too and get stressed when they have to move. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

Hi Zizi,

I've moved your post into this existing topic. You may have struggled to find anything on cats using the search feature as it, annoying, won't let you search for words of three letters or less!

In reply to you request, I agree that it's usually best to let your cat stay put. They are very territorial and mostly don't respond well to going to a cattery.

The professional sitters are not cheap but I do think they are worth it. We use Cat Calls (11 per visit) and what I like about Jane is that I feel she would cope well in an emergency. You aren't just paying for someone to give your cat a bit of food. You do have to consider what they would do if your cat got sick or they turned up one day and your house had been burgled. I'd want to use someone I thought could deal with the situation without panicking. Jane has experience of dealing with sick cats and she looked after my paraplegic cat while we were on holiday last year. She has details of the vet and is happy to take your cat, pay the bill and sort it out with you later. All things to consider.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 Ang

Ang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Do the sitters spend any time with the cats? I have a (mostly) indoor cat who is very affectionate, we are away for the last two weeks of September and need to find something quick! (last minute decision.) Ideally I am looking for someone I know (work colleague etc) to have her for a holiday of her own but not sure how likely that is as she can't live with other animals or small children - fussy too! It would be good to know for 10 a visit, they aren't just going to throw some food in a bowl and leave.

#14 randomv

randomv

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

I also use Cat Calls when I go away and would highly recommend them. Jane is lovely, clearly loves cats and although they are pleased to see me when I come back I always feel they get a bit of a fuss and a cuddle whilst I am away. Mine are also indoor cats so their interaction with people is very important. Of course a cat sitter is never going to be the same as having someone with them full time, but if that is not a practical option for you, a reliable and experienced cat sitter is a very good alternative, and means the cat doesn't go through the trauma of leaving their home. Agree with the previous poster re experience and emergency situations too.

Edited by randomv, 28 August 2007 - 03:54 PM.

#15 keithhide

keithhide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

I'm going away this Tuesday (25th Sept) for 8 days and due to unforeseen circumstances my neighbour who usually feeds my cat when I am away, is suddenly unable to feed her. I live on Alexandra Drive SE19 & I was wondering if anyone nearby would be prepared to come round and feed my cat twice a day... a big ask I know, but I think it will be too late for me to arrange professional cat sitters as I only have 24 hours to sort it out!
If you think you can help please could you call me on 07958 533 139
Many thanks
Keith