Cat Sitter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#16 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:18 AM

I live on Alexandra Drive SE19 & I was wondering if anyone nearby would be prepared to come round and feed my cat twice a day... a big ask I know, but I think it will be too late for me to arrange professional cat sitters as I only have 24 hours to sort it out!

Have you thought this one through Keith? I'm sure there are plenty of burglars and wannabe big-time criminals who would love to clean out your house whilst you are away...

Just a hunch but it might be cheaper to use a professional cat sitting service on this occasion. ;)

or you might be able to get by with a cat food timer... like these

European.vote - EU Referendum

#17 keithhide

keithhide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

Oh you're so suspicious and cynical James! I still like to hold on to a little trust in my community & neighbours... but point taken.
I have a cat timer but it doesn't last for 8 days ;)
Perhaps you would like to come round and feed her?

#18 Richard Williams

Richard Williams

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

Dear All

I am off on holiday on June 17th for 11 days and I am looking for someone locally who is reliable and willing to pop in to my place on a daily basis(for a fee!) to feed my cat.

Thanks

Richard

#19 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

There are a few recommendations on here for Sitting Kitty and associated sitters. We last used them in January and would highly recommend.

http://www.sittingkitty.co.uk/

You have to visit the site for the poetry alone.

#20 quilty

quilty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

I really wish for something like the babysitting circle my parents had when I was little: a group of petsitters around SE19 who have a system of payment in kind by returning the favour.
Whenever someone in the group agreed to babysit they received their fee in the form of nappy pins which they in turn used to buy themselves some babysitting time. Everyone in the group must have started out with an allocation of nappy pins (and been naive enough not to just buy themselves some more!). Rather than nappy pins, some sort of online system would probably be the modern way.
I like Cat Calls for the odd night away, but it is expensive for a holiday - sometimes as high as the cost of the travel itself (I enjoy a cheap holiday)! Would anyone else consider a petsitting circle (a nice Seventies term), or is this a hopeless anachronism? We would need to think of a way to check our members so we don't arrive home to find pets unfed and rooms bare; but I'm sure with only a small group and a bit of forward planning and effort this could be achieved.

#21 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

Despite the best wishes of those involved I feel it is inappropriate to organise unaccompanied home visitors through an online forum. Our guidelines indicate that requests for babysitters aren't permitted on the forum (2, 6). I don't have any problem with people requesting or sharing details of professional pet sitting services but would not like to see personal introductions between members conducted through our site.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#22 Richard Williams

Richard Williams

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the information and advice.

#23 jonh

jonh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

Richard,

Pop round next door and have a chat with me!

Jon

#24 bluecat

bluecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Cat Calls or Sitting Kitty are fab, depending on your post code!
I know Cat Calls are registered with National Association of Pet Sitters & Cats Protection League so you know you have someone trustworthy in your home.

Edited by bluecat, 11 June 2009 - 08:36 PM.

#25 Duke

Duke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

Cat Calls or Sitting Kitty are fab, depending on your post code!
I know Cat Calls are registered with National Association of Pet Sitters & Cats Protection League so you know you have someone trustworthy in your home.

Another recommendation for Sitting Kitty & Cat Calls. Sitting Kitty is also registered with National Association of Pet Sitters and the Feline Advisoru Bureau.

#26 bluecat

bluecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who is willing to do some cat sitting while I am away? I am looking for a retired person or a at home mum etc who would be willing to come and feed my cats and make sure they are ok. I am willing to pay a fee for the service, but the professional ones are way too expensive especially if I go for a long period. I sometimes have to travel on the spur of the moment so cattery's are not always possible. Both my cats are indoor cats too and get stressed when they have to move. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cat Calls are registered with National Association of Pet Sitters AND with Feline Advisory Bureau. Totally trustworthy and you haven't got the hassle of taking your pet to and from a cattery but the biggest bonus is that's it not stressful for your cat. They are incredibly discreet & don't advertise the fact that you are away. Jane's got 21 years of experience and usually does the calls herself, with just one other very trusted helper.

http://www.catcalls.co.uk/
0208 655 4027

#27 picklesgirl13

picklesgirl13

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

My friend works for a professional cat sitting company one day a week in the Brockley/Greenwich area but works locally in a completely different job the rest of the week... I know she already does occasional cat sitting jobs in the local area - message me directly if you'd like her contact details.

And as a cat person myself I'm already part of small cat-sitting circle - it's great!! Bring on the 70's :hugkiss:

#28 Duke

Duke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

My friend works for a professional cat sitting company one day a week in the Brockley/Greenwich area but works locally in a completely different job the rest of the week... I know she already does occasional cat sitting jobs in the local area - message me directly if you'd like her contact details.

And as a cat person myself I'm already part of small cat-sitting circle - it's great!! Bring on the 70's :hugkiss:

I'm not casting any aspersions on your friend, but it's worth just being aware that the professional cat sitters like Sitting Kitty are fully insured so you do have the reassurance of knowing that if in the very unlikely event that anything did go wrong you would not be left out of pocket. Obviously you would not have this cover if you use someone on a casual basis even if they do work for a cat sitter at other times.

Edited by Duke, 30 June 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#29 bluecat

bluecat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

I have to agree with Duke in that occasional cat sitters haven't got either the experience or insurance should the worst happen. Also professional Cat Sitting Services like Cat Calls have experience with cats requiring medication for serious illnesses and know what to look out for.
www.catcalls.co.uk 0208 655 4027 catcalls@btconnect.com

Edited by bluecat, 30 June 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#30 foreveramber

foreveramber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

Hi there.
We am looking for a very reliable,local person to come daily to our house to feed our cat whilst we go away later on this year.
MUST be a cat lover of course,and willing to spend a few minutes stroking our cat after his feed so he doesn't feel too lonely!
We live very close to the football stadium and will pay 5 a day.
Our cat is very friendly,and providing you don't smell of dogs will be pleased to have some attention!!!
Please email me at foreveramber_@hotmail.com leaving your details (including your mobile phone number) and a little about yourself and i will get in touch with you.
Thanks for replying to this advert!
Amber