Photo

Rose & Crown

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Average (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Poor (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

Rose & Crown
4 Crown Lane, Crown Point, London SW16 3JG

Phone: 020 8670 6622

#2 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:35 AM

this is a terrific pub,especially when back in the middle 60's they used to be a Juke box, with a dj that used to play all of the 60's music, and it was great for meeting people, dancing, and it has been a great pub ever since I used to go there
in the late 60's 70s, with all of my male and female friends, and every one there was friendly all of the time, especailly the barmen, and I have been told that it still is a great pub

Sylvia

#3 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

I used to frequent this pub quite extensively between the mid to late nineties and i thought it was a superb place. This was though back in the days before there was the explosion of new bars and refurbed pubs in Crystal Palace. There was also a lot of people that i knew used to go there which made it all the more interesting.!

It was run then by Paul and Breeda who ran a very tight ship and didnt suffer any fools. Ive no idea what it is like now as i have since moved up Palace way.

But back in the days it was the place to go, It used to get quite busy especially at the weekends.

#4 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

I've heard that The Rose and Crown has been bought by Weatherspoons. Does anyone know anything about this?

#5 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Does anyone know if the old Rose and Crown going to be a Tesco Metro?

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

I sincerely hope not. It's less than a car ride to the nearest Tesco Metro so surely we can cope without another one?

I almost expect Tesco to ring me up and ask if they can put a Tesco Metro in my living room as it's a least a 10 minute walk to the one in Anerley and in terms of revenue and coverage it makes business sense.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

I was always led to believe this was a memorial pub as the original was blown up during the war with several regulars in it & was soon rebuilt soon after the war ( Good to see our priorities was in good order in those days) My nan told me this but have never really checked out this story so apologies if this is not correct.

Used to visit this this place in the mid to late eighties when it had a bit of a party element. I always remeber they had a resident singer / guitar player & the only song he did well was American Pie which whenever he saw my crowd walk in he would spontaniously break into song.

Shame this is not kept as a pub as it has some cracking memories for me !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Someone from the VW garage opposite the pub told me it was definitely going to be a Tesco as they had been contacted about it.

In my experience the Rose and Crown wasn't a very nice pub so i'm glad it's going to be a Tesco. Handy for me as I live at Crown Point.

#9 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

But there's already a Tesco down the road! A nice friendly pub would have been much better IMO.

#10 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Absolutely disgraceful if this is true. I used to love this pub from the early nineties to around 2000 (when I moved up here), and did have some great times in there.

I would much rather see Wetherspoon's take over the Rose and Crown then a supermarket. :angry: (Not that I have any problem with JDW)

#11 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

But there's already a Tesco down the road! A nice friendly pub would have been much better IMO.

In my experience it wasn't a friendly pub, it was full of dodgy coke heads.

#12 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

In my experience it wasn't a friendly pub, it was full of dodgy coke heads.

I've never been in so cannot comment on how unfriendly it was. My point still stands tho: why replace a pub with a supermarket? Surely a nice pub would be much better for the neighborhood?

#13 RaverDrew

RaverDrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

I asked one of the workmen outside there the other week, and he said it was going to become a Punch Tavern. Not a Tesco or Wetherspoon.

#14 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Looks like it is going to be a Tesco.

Planning application: 10/02200/FUL
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#15 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

The Londis on the corner had a petition which I signed - I do feel for them if their business suffers heavily from this (as it's bound to) - however I couldn't help noticing that as I came past Crown Point yesterday evening the Londis was closed whereas a Tesco Express would presumably stay open till 11pm (at least the one in WN does).

It seems a real shame if the resident businesses at Crown Point suffer as a result of this - and many of them are already looking quite run-down and shabby, with the greengrocers that was there when I first moved in, long gone.

It's a bit of a wasted opportunity as it currently stands - it represents the only local shops for quite some distance around if you live in the WN/Streatham Common border area but there are so many duplicates (2 pharmacies, multiple hairdressers, multiple takeaways) and I find I only really shop there in an emergency (or when I'm feeling super lazy).

A Tesco express which stays open even later than the other shops would be a real temptation but I do want to continue supporting the local businesses like the Londis team. A non-charging cashpoint in the Crown Point area would also be a huge boost to the area - at the weekends if I forget to get money out in WN or Crystal Palace sometimes by Sunday I'm scraping together my last pennies to buy a can of fizzy pop or an icecream from the Londis. It must be even more frustrating for people who live even less close to WN or Streatham and have to go even further to get cash out.
  • Gemster likes this