Photo

Rose & Crown

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Average (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Poor (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

You can also object directly to the planning application via the link that Borgus posted.

#17 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

The Londis on the corner had a petition which I signed - I do feel for them if their business suffers heavily from this (as it's bound to) - however I couldn't help noticing that as I came past Crown Point yesterday evening the Londis was closed whereas a Tesco Express would presumably stay open till 11pm (at least the one in WN does).

It seems a real shame if the resident businesses at Crown Point suffer as a result of this - and many of them are already looking quite run-down and shabby, with the greengrocers that was there when I first moved in, long gone.

It's a bit of a wasted opportunity as it currently stands - it represents the only local shops for quite some distance around if you live in the WN/Streatham Common border area but there are so many duplicates (2 pharmacies, multiple hairdressers, multiple takeaways) and I find I only really shop there in an emergency (or when I'm feeling super lazy).

A Tesco express which stays open even later than the other shops would be a real temptation but I do want to continue supporting the local businesses like the Londis team. A non-charging cashpoint in the Crown Point area would also be a huge boost to the area - at the weekends if I forget to get money out in WN or Crystal Palace sometimes by Sunday I'm scraping together my last pennies to buy a can of fizzy pop or an icecream from the Londis. It must be even more frustrating for people who live even less close to WN or Streatham and have to go even further to get cash out.

There is a free cash machine in the newsagents next to the VW garage :-)

#18 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

There is a free cash machine in the newsagents next to the VW garage :-)

Thanks Gemster - I didn't know that! :)
I am better provisioned at Crown Point than I previously realised...

#19 Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

Whilst I understand the point about supporting local shops etc - if they were any good I would support them! Apart from getting my travel pass renewed (which I could do online) and the saturday newspaper (of which there are 3-4 shops on Crown Point selling the same stuff) a Tesco's local is a good addition to a pretty ugly set of shops (apart from Crown Bakery which has the best signage).

Plus Tesco's might even provide some local employment.

Drop the [Rose and Crown] tinted view of "local shops" - this is Crown Point not West Hampstead/Dulwich/Putney etc. It is where we all go to get the bus to the train station in the morning - no one actively hangs out on a weekend...or do they???

#20 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

I grew up in West Hampstead... moved this way back in 1972. It may be "up market now" but it was bloomin' rough back in those far off days of my youth. I learned how to swipe and use a car ariel (yes, younger members, they were external then) for self defence against school bullies before I was 11 years old. Dad couldn't wait to get the family out of there before we all became thugs. Ironic when you look back on it. :rolleyes:

Sorry... off topic:-

I've got to say I'd welcome a Tescos in Crown Point because I'm fed up of going into any of the newsagents there and feeling guilty because I'm interrupting a phone conversation! It doesn't matter which of the shops I go in to get milk/fags/whatever.... they are on their mobiles and I'm just an inconvenience.

Went into Neela stores recently and the guy was chatting with his mate about a camera, they were taking photos and having a great time whilst I stood there like a lemon. The turning point was when he held out his hand for my money before even asking me what I wanted (20 fags) and that was the point where I walked out. It was so rude!!

I crossed over to one of the stores on the other side and got what I wanted but even then I was keeping the teller from his telephone conversation.

At least with places like Tescos/Sainsburys/Morrisons et al you can't bring your mobile onto the shop floor.

#21 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

I wish the shop owners at Crown Point would make more of an effort to make the outside of their shops cleaner and tidier. This morning the newsagents on Knights Hills had loads of rubbish and chicken bones outside their door. This area is looking really run down and scruffy.

Gales pink shop is hidious and is a real eye sore.

#22 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Tesco Express is now open.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph