• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:06 AM

Is there any one else that knew that Ronnie Corbett, his wife and his family lived either in Church road up at Crystal palace or very close to it.

Sylvia

#2 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:30 AM

hi sylvia...
i dont know where but i know it was close... my mother did some form of dance fitness class with his wife a good thirty years ago. They now reside in shirley ish
they were both customers in a sports shop i ran for a while... good people !

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

Yes he certainly did live somewhere round church road my Uncle says he used to clean his car frequently.

He moved to Purley ironically next door to another Uncle of mine not sure if is still in Purley as have not spoken to that uncle for a few years now.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

philipburgoyne was yours the sport shop nr the police station in crystal palace.

I bough my 1st pair of decent trainers from there rather than my mum getting the black pumps from woolworths. My street cred went up miles !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

As far as I know, Ronnie Corbett still lives and golfs in Shirley. His daughters went to my school (the closest I ever got to the glamour of show biz).

#6 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:03 PM

Ronnie Corbett is a big Palace fan, too :)

#7 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 06:37 PM

I saw him driving a big merc up Anerley Hill a while back, he could just about see over the steering wheel!

#8 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

I seem to remember him living around Gravel Hill, on the way down towards Selsdon from Shirley Hills. He played in the golf course around there apparently.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#9 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

Yes he certainly did live somewhere round church road my Uncle says he used to clean his car frequently.

Hi Dazza long time...

Yes he certainly did live in Church road. I wonder if your uncle is called Clive ?
He lived in the first house on the right (going toward CP) along Church road as you passed Auckland Rise.

Back in those days it was a Bentley with 2 cushions on the seat. Just never worked out how he reached the pedals. Clive and I cleaned the motor on Saturday mornings... Funny thing after all these years I can never ever remember being paid or how much.

#10 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:51 PM

Posted somewhere else on the forum - we also used to clean Acker Bilks coach. This was located in what we called the posh modern estate which was turn right at the bottom of Sylvan hill (Police college?) then almost 1st left. Began with S I think and was perhaps S??? way ... Stambourne way ????

#11 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

Joe: Stambourne Way was the next road parallel along from Sylvan Hill, but only from your description was to the left at the bottom of the hill, and then next left again. I seem to remember my best mate living in Acker Bilk's old house on Stambourne Way, and he had a few things supposedly left by him. I was too young to know who Acker Bilk was...

If it wasn't Stambourne Way, and the directions you gave, it could have been the dingy estate (Auckland Rise) on the right of the bottom of Sylvan Hill, but I can't exactly see Acker Bilk living there, it was hardly posh. Maybe it was a little further down Auckland Road, and could have been somewhere like Auckland Gardens. Maybe it was the other side of the road, in Acorn Gardens?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#12 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:49 PM

Yes it was Stamborne Way (The houses were almost new in those days. I gave the directions (sorry) as coming from Sylvan estate ie Sylvan hill in front of you - church to the left - turn right towards Anerly Hill and then it was on the left. (Stamborne Way I think)
Acker Bilks place was a few houses up on the right as you turned in...

(I also lived for a time in Auckland Rise about the time the Police training college was built and before)

As for Ronnie Corbet if yo come out of the top of Auckland Rise and turn tight in Church Road to go to CP it was he first Victorian House past the the estate on the right... (ie before you get to Sylvan Hill which will be on your right)

Sorry to hear Auckland rise is taty these days back then it was very modern and quite a smart place to be - nice clean new and lots of grass all around (Woods to the back)

Edited by James, 26 January 2007 - 01:17 AM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply