• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

Although we did this when choosing a secondary, it should still be applicable.

Each school had an open evening in the autumn term for parents and children who were making a selection for the following year. Howver, we actually went along a year earlier than we had to decide. This gave us the opportunity to follow up any issues and discuss them when we went back to them the following year again. It also allowed a better perspective when comparing the schools again.

We also waited outside each of the schools to get an impression of the parents and what their general attitude was. It can be quite revealing!

In the end we believe we made a good, informed choice. :)
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#17 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:14 AM

As regards to points made about 'all saints' its a shame that it has deteriated so much.

Theyve had such a hard time to try and replace Mr Wood who was the head for over 20 years and dedicated his life to making that school high-achieving and once he went, the school went into a spiral of decline. I couldnt believe how differcult for the staff it was to employ another head through lack of interest from potential interviewees.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that the old saying 'what goes around comes around' applies to turning the school around!

I cant comment on what the school is like at present because all my contacts ie teachers & parents have moved on or are now happilly retired!

but when i was there and after that it ws the best school around..... :)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#18 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:47 PM

My son is at All Saint's in year 6 and going onto Harris in Sept. Have to say it has been very up and down. We were very happy with the infant school but the transition up to the junior school did not go smoothly. Lots of bullying and not much work getting done. However, things have improved considerably and on the whole my son has done ok there. The bullying stopped after the old headteacher took early retirement ( due to stress i believe!) and the headteacher from the infants has now taken on responsibility for both schools.

I never dreamt that finding a decent school for my child would ever be an issue but boy it has been the biggest headache of my life. Do lots of research and visit the schools in plenty of time before you have to apply is my advice.

Good luck with your search!

im currently in year 11 at st andrews in croydon and my brother is in year 8 there. we both attented all saints (i was in year 4 and he was in year 1 when we moved here in '99) and i loved nearly every minute of it. there was some bullying but nowhere is really free from it. i was bullied for a year but once i plucked up the courage to tell someone about it, it was dealt with quickly and brilliantly. i would have to say that the infants is better than the juniors and i have had first hand experience in both as i did 2 weeks work experience in the infants last summer.
the juniors have had a lot of teachers leave over the past few years for various reasons, but the few who remain from my time there are amazing. wish every school had teachers like them!

As regards to points made about 'all saints' its a shame that it has deteriated so much.

Theyve had such a hard time to try and replace Mr Wood who was the head for over 20 years and dedicated his life to making that school high-achieving and once he went, the school went into a spiral of decline. I couldnt believe how differcult for the staff it was to employ another head through lack of interest from potential interviewees.

Im keeping my fingers crossed that the old saying 'what goes around comes around' applies to turning the school around!

I cant comment on what the school is like at present because all my contacts ie teachers & parents have moved on or are now happilly retired!

but when i was there and after that it ws the best school around..... :)

here here!! it was indeed the best school around 5 years ago, but it has since gone downhill after mr roberts (amazing man) left. he was the headteacher for a couple of years after a bad run of various heads. i did once or twice meet mr wood at school events and he does seem like a great man who certainly loved all saints.
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#19 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

I would concur as a former All Saints pupil. Mr Wood was a great headmaster and cared greatly for the school. I recall Mr Roberts being there as a Deputy Head for maybe my last year or so there.

My mum informs me that the old deputy head from the Infants is now head of both parts of the school.

We don't have kids yet but Mrs Uncle Wilf was saying that locally she heard that St Marks in South Norwood was very, very good but there are obivously limits on its catchment area.

Does anyone know if Mrs Freeman is still at All Saints Juniors? I know Mrs Vile retired a few years ago...
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#20 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for all this - we live v close to All Saints and have to start applying for nursery places there in October (which is a bit scary given that our daughter isn't two till July - not scary cos of the leadtime, just scary cos its flying by!). The Ofsteds on the infant seem pretty good, especially for the younger years - which is obviously our priority right now, though I take on board what Rosehip says about thinking about the next stage as well.

Working in finance, colleagues just presume we're going private - I've always been determined to stay in the state sector for many reasons (if it was good enough for me, etc, plus I think it produces more rounded/diverse children) but then you look at your small fragile little person and hesitate...... So its good to hear that All Saints seems like its on the right track again, no school in our area will be Hogwarts and I don't think I want it to be!

[can't believe I put HP reference in there, I feel so ashamed]

#21 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

yes mrs freeman is still at all saints and yes the head of the infants and the juniors is the same. her name is mrs skidmore and she is very nice and loves being involved in what the children at doing!
lovely to work with too

#22 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

I would concur as a former All Saints pupil. Mr Wood was a great headmaster and cared greatly for the school. I recall Mr Roberts being there as a Deputy Head for maybe my last year or so there.

My mum informs me that the old deputy head from the Infants is now head of both parts of the school.

We don't have kids yet but Mrs Uncle Wilf was saying that locally she heard that St Marks in South Norwood was very, very good but there are obivously limits on its catchment area.

Does anyone know if Mrs Freeman is still at All Saints Juniors? I know Mrs Vile retired a few years ago...

----------------------------------

Saw Mrs Freeman briefly a couple of months ago and I know that mrs vile retired and the last i heard was abroad somewhere.... Sad to say Mr Wood passed away after a long illness recently so im hoping that the school will remember him with a tree planting and or a bench with a little message on it... they used to plant trees there all the time when i attended the school so i thought it would be fitting for a tree... :)

Edited by twinkle, 25 May 2007 - 09:34 PM.

For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#23 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

My eldest daughter went to All Saints infants a few years ago.

Susan Skidmore (who taught me as a pupil at James Dixon nearly 30 years ago!) was headteacher of the infants and was yet to take charge of the juniors, which, at the time, seemed to have quite a few problems, not least a clear sense of direction.

Had we stayed in the area we would only have kept Florence at the school had Susan taken full control of the whole school, which I think/hope, she now has.

Edited by jannism, 26 May 2007 - 12:00 AM.

#24 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Links for info on some local schools here.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#25 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

oh i hadn't realised that mr wood had passed away. he was a lovely bloke.

mrs vile taught me when i was in year 5 and she was one of my favourite teachers. did anybody here know mrs thansriscle (havent a clue how to spell it even after she ws my teacher because we called her mrs san francisco). she has recently got cancer and had to take leave from the school, but i hope she comes back because i was going to pop in and see her in september to let her know my GCSE results, as she had asked about them. she was my year 4 teacher in 1999 when i first moved to norwood and even tho the headteacher at the time made me feel like i was making the over-crowded school more crowded, mrs thansriscle(?) made me feel very welcome and i would say she was the greatest teacher i have ever had.

so if anyone has any news about her it would be greatly appreciated

#26 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

I just about remember Mrs Thansriskul (not sure if spelt correctly) Wasn't taught by her though... I think she may have had a daughter at the school.
My mum is still in touch with Mrs Plescia from the Infants School.

In the Juniors I was taught by Mr Frost who was a vicar if I remember rightly, Miss Atkinson, the legendary Mrs Vile (I think she was my favourite teacher) and then Mrs Freeman who was also very good.
When I was there, the deputy head was Mr Swaffield and then just before I moved on it was Mr Roberts I think.
Very sorry to hear about Mr Wood. Very sad news.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales