2574 replies to this topic

#2536 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

My Birthday! :D

(mid January - rotten time of year to have one. Everyone is partied out, off the sauce and flat broke :().

Ooh of course. I'd forgotten that was coming up :).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#2537 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

NZ vowel pronunciation REALLY bloody grates. A series of programmes I recorded and was really looking forward to about world food (and particularly the Far East) has been rendered totally unwatchable by the Kiwi bint presenting it. IT'S NOT PRONOUNCED 'TIXTURE', RID CHILLI DOESN'T EXIST AND CHIPS ARE NOT CHERPS!!! WHAT'S SO BLOODY DIFFICULT???! SORT IT OUT.
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#2538 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Did you say that last line' Sawt it ahhhht'?
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#2539 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Quite like a Kiwi accent meself :)

#2540 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

It's the Sith Ifrican accent I hate, and it's nothing to do with my idiot team leader.

#2541 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

It's the Sith Ifrican accent I hate, and it's nothing to do with my idiot team leader.

Yeah, with you there.

#2542 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Kiwi and saffa both get my goat. I think spending a year in Oz made me realise how ridiculous sounding Kiwi's are.

Each to their own. In the UK, I dislike (a lot) East Anglian, Welsh, Brummie, Yorkshire and Scouse in no particular order.

#2543 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Can't agree! I've a soft spot, having spent surx verry heppy yurs if my charldhurd thair :lol:

#2544 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

I have a real soft spot for hybrid accents. We have a guy here at work who's got a half Danish, half Manc accent, and another who's got one that's half French, half Glaswegian. Though technically, I have a hybrid accent too; posh Co Dublin blended with Estuary English...

But yes, I'm with SLR about East Anglian, Welsh, Brummie, Yorkshire and Scouse...

Edited by nikdevlin, 21 December 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#2545 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hybrid Brummie/S.African is my idea of hell unless I was in NZ where it would be my idea of a hill.
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#2546 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

ho ho ho

#2547 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Fortunately, the guy who played the original SR-D, Mr Sid James, checked his Saffer accent at the border when he arrived in the UK...

#2548 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

James Corden

#2549 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hybrid Brummie/S.African is my idea of hell unless I was in NZ where it would be my idea of a hill.

Well, I never!

James was born Solomon Joel Cohen on 8 May 1913 to Jewish parents in South Africa, later changing his name to Sidney Joel Cohen, and then Sidney James.[2] His family lived on Hancock Street in Hillbrow, Johannesburg. Upon moving to Britain later in life, he claimed various previous occupations, including diamond cutter, dance tutor and boxer. In reality, he had trained and worked as a hairdresser.
It was at a hairdressing salon in Kroonstad, Orange Free State that he met his first wife. He married Berthe Sadie Delmont, known as Toots, on 12 August 1936, and her father Joseph Delmont, a wealthy Johannesburg businessman, bought a salon for James. Within a year James announced that he wanted to become an actor and joined Johannesburg Repertory Players. Through this he got work with the South African Broadcasting Corporation.
During the Second World War, he became a lieutenant in the South African Army in an entertainment unit, and subsequently took up acting as a career. He came to Britain in 1946, financed by his service gratuity. Initially he worked in repertory before being spotted by the nascent British post-war film industry.

#2550 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Kiwi and saffa both get my goat. I think spending a year in Oz made me realise how ridiculous sounding Kiwi's are.

Each to their own. In the UK, I dislike (a lot) East Anglian, Welsh, Brummie, Yorkshire and Scouse in no particular order.

To me Kiwi's sound like an Australian that's been kicked in the knackers.
I find it hard to take brummies seriously, sounds like they permantley have a cold, but I do have a soft spot for the Welsh accent on women, could listen to it for hours.