• Please log in to reply
2574 replies to this topic

#16 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

I dislike the stench when people eat Macdonalds on trains. My pet hate is when people then add insult to inury by leaving the packaging on the floor. Another pet hate in general is litter bugs!

Edited by charlie, 11 April 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#17 retired_member_1

retired_member_1

Retired Member

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:40 AM

How about people parking in side streets to eat macdonalds in their cars and then chucking the rubbish into the street when they're done, and quickly driving off.

#18 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Ha ha, you're all getting annoyed over such stupid things - it makes me feel better about the stupid things I get annoyed about:

Misuse of apostrophes - seen that T-Mobile ad recently "the worlds fluid" or something like that. No apostophe. I seethe with impotent rage.

Misuse of english in general. I have to accept that we're all just becoming more American, and I actually don't mind some changes, but it's "get off me" not "get off of me". And it's not always "X and I", sometimes it's "X and me" depending on what you're saying. And the past tense of got is got, not gotten. And schedule is pronounced shedule not skedule, which is a stupid thing to get annoyed about, but I can't help myself. Oh, and impact is not a verb - things can't impact on something else, something can't be described as having "impacted greatly on me". I hate that, but everyone does it so I'll just have to learn to deal with it.

People who litter. People who spit great gobs of phlegm on the pavement. People who listen to their rubbish music really loudly on *** earphones - or who play their tinny tunes out loud on their mobile phones.

People who work in shops and on public transport who have absolutely no concept of customer service. Shop workers who don't apologise on behalf of their company when something goes wrong. Public transport workers who seem to forget that you're paying for a service, not asking for a favour.

Blimey! I'm such a stress bunny. I sound like I must be in my late 50s right? I'm 27.

Everyone posting on this topic should read Lynne Truss's "Talk to the hand". It will make you feel better.

While I'm moaning, I should confess that I'm sometimes guilty of doing my makeup on the train. It's something I used to think was revolting (and still do really), but I'm so disorganised that it's often a last resort.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

I loved 'Talk to the hand'. We bought the audiobook and listened to it in the car on the way up north for Christmas. It was very entertaining and helped to pass the time very well.

I am such a grump, I drive myself insane sometimes. I think I will need to move out to the country in a few years time as there is so much that drives me crazy in this city.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

Always thought a pet hate was 1 hate... I might be wrong?

i.e. oh thats (note missing apostrophe :P ) my pet hate!

This topic seems to have turned into a general - I hate.
Think the whole lot of you should apply to go onto "Grumpy old men/women" :P

And yet I still have an irrational hate of Volvo estate cars for no apparent reason!

#21 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

I agree Belle - especially re Shop workers - But now you've mentioned her - that damn Lynne Truss 'Eat Shoots and Leaves' book and all the pedantic people who insist on correcting you because they've read it and think they now know best - especially when it comes to Americanisms.

If you're interested in language I recommend Bill Brysons Mother Tongue - it certainly destroyed a lot of my ideas about American-British English.

Edited by Mango, 11 April 2006 - 11:14 AM.

M A N G O

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

I absolutely love that show Grumpy Old Women/Men. I agree with so much of it and I'm only 30 - very worrying really. What will I be like when I am 50+?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

Chicken bones on the floor of the top deck of the bus
Small kids with big dogs on cheap leads
Tinny music through mobile phones on the bus
Feet
People who talk about feet
People who pick their feet
Power balladry
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#24 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:34 AM

Wilf I'm SO with you on the feet one.

Midwife asked me if I wanted to try reflexology recently. I was nearly sick at the thought. I don't 'do' feet.

#25 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

I don't think one is either "old" or "grumpy" for wanting a bare minimum of good manners, a bit of thought for others and the ability to write/speak correctly.

Final pet hate - those companies that are clever enough slip through the Mail Preference Service and manage to send me junk mail but aren't apparently clever enough to spell my name correctly.

Those that enclose a freepost reply envelope go back to them with a note advising them that if mispelling my name is an indicator of their attitude to their customers they can stuff their products. The rest go in the recycle bin,

Edited by jamesl, 11 April 2006 - 11:48 AM.

#26 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

The zebra crossing outside work.

It's too near where several coaches are usually parked on the street meaning you can't see what traffic coming and they can't see you! very safe.........

#27 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

I don't think one is either "old" or "grumpy" for wanting a bare minimum of good manners, a bit of thought for others and the ability to write/speak correctly

Couldn't agree more, but was merely pointing out (or asking) how many pet hates one should have before it turns into a hate list.

A pet hate is something I associate (perhaps wrongly) with a unique / quirky / personal / possibly amusing strong dislike, not a general rant about the short comings as a society..... maybe that's just me though.

#28 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

I think you're right - I always think of a pet hate as a very personal and ideosyncratic dislike. Nevetheless it's good to have a bit of a rant and then discosver that you are not alone.

#29 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

great replies. :angry:

I really must be careful not to go out with wet hair in the morning. :)

By the way, mis-use of umbrellas is another of my pet hates. :o
opposed to taking terrapins.

#30 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

Hey Belle, how about "Could of" instead of "Could have"?

The list of gross transgressions in the use of English language is an endless source of disgust for me.

I literally shudder when, after clearly pronouncing the first letter of my surname "aitch", I get "Haitch?" repeated back at me...'onestly, I could just weep.

Mind you, I see enough "your" instead of "you're" and "there" when "their" is what was needed on this site, to send me into apoplexy

Edited by jannism, 11 April 2006 - 12:49 PM.