#31 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:54 PM

Squirrels.
Pigeons.
People who drive with their fog lights on when there is not even a hint of fog.
Driver who don't signal (after all, they know where they're going, don't they?)
The "greengrocer's apostophe".
My face.

oh, dear, I'm sounding sad... :)

#32 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

Some people's lack of respect for everyone and everything around them

#33 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

While I'm moaning, I should confess that I'm sometimes guilty of doing my makeup on the train. It's something I used to think was revolting (and still do really), but I'm so disorganised that it's often a last resort.

Oh dear, same here! Started because there is barely enough time to get to the gym in the morning and still get into to work on time.

So I'm often on the train with damp hair trying to apply mascara - sorry!

My personal pet-hate is people who are dawdling on the pavement in front of me when I'm trying to get somewhere quickly (eg running between gym and train station!).

#34 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

I really only dislike the make up thing when the result turns out worse that the start of the work !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#35 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

Excellent, a chance for a grumpy old rant

Cats killing 60 million birds each year in the UK
Canada Geese killing off all wildlife around the Crystal Palace lakes
Rip-off quiz tv channels taking over Freeview. (Farewell Men&Motors)
Satellite dishes, some huge, flouting regulations, appearing everywhere
People who eat smelly food on Buses (especially chicken)
Wind Power & Global Warming lies/propaganda
0845 & 0870 being called local and national rate.

But my number one "hate" is
Building Houses on Flood Plains

Edited by Axean, 11 April 2006 - 04:01 PM.

#36 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Litter - and those who think it doesn't count if they tuck it in a bush are even worse.
Flytipping (it isn't eco-friendly leaving it outside your house - no-one else wants your old sofa/washing machine/broken microwave/monitor, take it to the dump you lazy *******!)
Spitting
Not any empty retail units, but one in particular - the big place with a skylight which has been wasting electricity for four years.

I'm so glad someone else admitted to going out with wet hair, applying makeup on trains - you are not alone!

#37 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:14 PM

Re the flytipping one, many people leave out washing machines and sofas to be picked up by the council. They are not necessarily fly-tipping so unless it's been sitting there for weeks I don't think you can assume that these people don't give a damn.

I got rid of a wardrobe and two sofas last year. They wouldn't fit in the car so I had to pay the council to collect them. The council were due to pick them up on the Wednesday but because I knew it would take me a long time to get these things out of the house and onto the pavement and I would be at work in the week, I had to do it on the Sunday. This meant the stuff had to sit on the pavement for half the week, but there was nothing I could do about it as the council only collect on that day.

When it comes to real fly-tipping, I hate that too though.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#38 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:21 PM

Oh yes, I had a very nosey neighbour in another part of Upper Norwood who immediately got suspicious when we left a mattress and computer monitor outside the house. The council were due to collect it the next day! I was referring to those who leave things on the street for weeks and there's one road in particular near me where this seems to happen quite regularly.

#39 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

:lol: We left our old mattress out for Lambeth to collect when we lived on Gipsy Hill - they knocked on the door the next day and asked where it was - someone had had it away before they could collect it.

When we moved we chucked a fair bit of stuff we didn't want anymore in a box and left it outside (pool cue, tennis racquet, stuff like that) and it was all gone within hours! :D

#40 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

I agree Belle - especially re Shop workers - But now you've mentioned her - that damn Lynne Truss 'Eat Shoots and Leaves' book and all the pedantic people who insist on correcting you because they've read it and think they now know best - especially when it comes to Americanisms.

I think you're right - you can be too pedantic (and Truss says the same in her book), and I also think the reason that the english language is so successful is because it's fluid and adapts very nicely through the ages. But I can't help getting annoyed in spite of this (and I agree, Jann, about "should of"). And of course, I only get annoyed about other people's mistakes - I'm often guilty of writing "there's lots of colours to choose from" instead of "there are" (unless I spot it) and I have been known to use "they" when it should be a singular he/she (which is something that's going to become "correct" over time anyway). But it's fine if I'm doing it, of course!

PS. Axean, how odd to get angry about Global warming "lies"? Surely, there are worse things in the world than caring about the environment? Or do you mean something else?
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#41 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:02 PM

I really only dislike the make up thing when the result turns out worse that the start of the work !

Dazza

Nice work back-pedalling Dazza! ;)

#42 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:42 PM

Queue jumping
Loud mobile conversations
People who moan about smoking but drive a car (I do both and am proud of it)
Kirsty Wark (her voice is annoying)
The redefinition of respect as in "you won't let me do what I want to do"
Nick, Forum Moderator

#43 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

My number on pet hate is loud mobile conversations on buses and trains. It make by blood boil. Everytime :angry:

#44 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

This is why I love watching "curb your enthusiasm". Larry David's increasing intolerance (and in most cases justifiably so) of society and people's actions get him into the most hilarious situations. I totally identify with him.

#45 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

Axean, how odd to get angry about Global warming "lies"? Surely, there are worse things in the world than caring about the environment?

I was referring to lies for and against the "global warming" argument. Passion pushing aside science, by both sides. I didn't mean "global warming"is a lie.
This is not a Global Warming Forum, so I wont give examples. :P