• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Twink

Twink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:08 PM

Does anyone know of a sweet shop in the High Street around the year 1971/1972 run by a man and wife team - the man's name was 'Tom'?

Any help gratefully received. Thank you

#2 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

I have a Kelly's London Directory for 1972, but you'll have to provide some more clues, beginning by clarifying which road you mean. Strictly, of the four areas VN serves, only Penge has a High Street, but I realise you may just mean "the main shopping street in xxx". If it is Penge, the HS is rather long, could you indicate whereabouts?

#3 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

well from what i can gather wasnt there a small sweet shop right at the top of gipsy hill by the tanning place....i thinnk the frontage is still visable.....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

Gipsy Hill had:

2 Arthur James Newbould, confectioner
136 F W Wheeler, newsagent (they usually sell sweeties)
39 David Marday, confectioner
81c Charles Murrell, confectioner

Low numbers are at the Westow Hill end, evens on the east side.

No "Tom", but shop names are often inherited from previous owners.

#5 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

Well spotted twinkle. The remants of the one at Number 2 Gipsy Road can still be seen . Above the Ground Floor window of what is now an office you can still see the old glazing bearing the words Ice Cream and Confectionory

#6 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

well its a shame that no one can make a go of it and reopen another shop there.... i wonder who owns the building????
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#7 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Mardays in Gipsy Hill. what a wonderful sweet shop, do you remember the paper cones he used to roll up to put your sweets in.

#8 Twink

Twink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

Thank you so much for all your replies - I am touched! Twinkx :D [color=#3366FF]

#9 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:46 AM

Hello, Jaw,
The sweet shop named marsday in Gypsy hill, was that the one that was right next door to Gipsy hill Railway Station, as that was owned by a married couple, as I used to go into there all the time, when I came home from working up the west end. the wife actually made me a dress, plus there was also another Newsagency and sweet shop on the corner of Central hill, and Westow street, as I used to go into there as well they also sold Magazines as well. there was also another newsagency, magazine, and sweet shop in central Hill next to the post office. I believe the post office is still there, but I maybe wrong.

#10 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hi Sylvia, Mardays was owned by a married couple, but it only sold sweets and tobaco and was situated right opposite the top of Cawnpore Street. Yes last time I was up in Norwood the Post Office was still on Central Hill near the top of Rockmount Road,

#11 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 03:51 AM

Hello, Jaw,
the sweet shop that I am talking about which was owned by a married couple, and right next door to gipsy station, in other words as you come out of gipsy hill station , then turned right, and it was right next door, then as you go past it you could turn right into Victoria Crescent, or right and walked down and turned left into Alexandria Drive, but what I will have to do is to wait for one of my best friend's who name was Sue who lived in Victoria Crescent, to remind me, as in 1968 the wife that owned the shop along with her husband made me a dress, which I wore very often, especially when I went to spain with my friend Sue, and another girl that worked with her. I telephoned my friend Sue on last Sunday, and she has a laptop, but she is going to get her Nephew to help her to get connected to the internet. Sue might remember their names, as her memory is nearly just as good as mine. Take Care

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

Hello, Chris doran,
The newsagency, and sweet shop called F W Wheeler right next door to gipsy hill railway station, because if it is I knew the owners that were a married couple very well, along with my friend Sue who lived in Victoria crescent Take Care.

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

#12 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

Short answer: The one you're thinking of, Sylvia, is Charles Murrell, here*.

Long answer: The bit of Gipsy Hill around the station in the 1972 Kelly's reads:-

Opposite the station, going towards Sydenham:

Colby Road
132 Colby Arms P.H.
134 Washerteria
136 F W Wheeler, newsagent
Colby Mews
Dulwich Wood Avenue

On the station side:

Sainsbury Road
81-81b Medhurst Bros, radio dealers
81c Charles Murrell, confectioner
Gipsy Hill Railway Station
Davies Timber (Gipsy Hill) Ltd, timber merchants
W H Smith & Son, newsagents
Charters Close

* High-res map courtesy of LBB Planning Dept & Ordnance Survey. Click on Property Search to find your house. I don't know how far it goes, but certainly outside Bromley Borough. It needs IE, and won't work in Firefox.

#13 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hello, Chris Doran,
You must be correct, but my friend sue and myself got to know the married couple very well, and we used to call them by their first names, as they did us. you see when my friend Sue and myself first started working firstly at harrods, then when I left I still worked in the west end mainly in Victoria Street. Then in 1968 when I was going to spain on holiday withSue, and another girl who she worked with at harrods, the wife in the shop offered to maked me a new dress, which she did, so you see we did not know their last names only their first names. I do not know if it is still there or not, because in 1969 I started to work in croydon. sometimes I would get the train from Gipsy hill to croydon, or the bus at the other end of hermitage road, as I lived just oposite Hermitage road on Central hill, and hermitage road was just to the right of my family home. With the high res map, what do you mean by IE, does it stand for Internet Explorer, and thank you very much for that information. My friend will most likely remember their first names. Are you registered with (FRIENDSRUNITED.CO.UK) Take Care, and look after yourself, By the way when you say in the 1972 Kellys, is that a particular book if it is could you please give me the Publisher of the book, and maybe I could order it through one of Book shops that I deal with and the name of the Author as well if you can.

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

#14 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:57 AM

Shops frequently keep the name of a long past owner, e.g. Fosdick's in Penge High St is named after its founder (I assume), Mark Vaughan Fosdick (1870-1929), and later descendants, but it hasn't been in Fosdick hands for some years now. So "your" shop being called Charles Murrell doesn't indicate much without further research.

Yes IE = Internet Explorer.

Kelly's is a long-established publisher of street directories and maps. Early directories by them and their contemporaries are a wealth of information as they name the principal householder of every house in every street. To the regret of local historians, they stopped producing them in that detail for most places after 1939. Some very old ones up to around 1920 can be found at Historical Directories. After WW2 they just printed trade directories with only shops and businesses. The 1972 one I rescued from work many years ago covers the whole of London, is 90mm thick, and takes both hands to lift off the shelf! Local Studies at Lewisham Central Library has a set going back to the year dot, although Kelly's didn't count this far out as "London" until the 1950s. But I don't suppose Sylvia will want to travel that far to look and I go there very rarely.

Yes, I am on Friends Reunited.

#15 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:27 AM

Hello, Chris Doran,
What type of information do you want to be able to do some more research for my shop. I know that once my friend Sue gets connected to the Internet, she maybe able to give me more information about the owners and their last name. If you donot mind me asking where was you born and bred, and which high schools did you go to. the main reason I am asking is that your name seems familiar, and all of my close friends and myself knew a lot of people from the places on Virtual Norwood. Take Care. look after yourself

Best Wishes,
Sylvia