• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

anyone out there remember the 2 cinemas in Church road the Granada and the Century, and the talent shows they used to hold at the Granada, sometime in the 50s, I was also told there was one around where Budgens is now.

#2 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

Well before my time but I've seen some old photos of Church Road showing both Cinemas.

#3 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

I remember the Granada, as I used to live in Milestone Road and the pictures was at the top, now a bingo hall. I saw Snow White there, and used to go Saturday Morning Pictures, when I could manage to scive off Ballet, which wasn't often! The other pictures, I think it's now a car show room, or even something else. When it was a car show room it still had some of the original decor on the walls.

#4 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:01 AM

wendy sam2. Did you go to dancing classes in Milestone Road, as i think my sister used to go dancing somewhere around there. The Century cinema was a car show room , now up for developement.

#5 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

Hi, no, I lived in Milestone Road, and so did my dance teacher, Miss Perry. Incidently, she was on telly a few years ago, as Dame Ednas side kick Madge. Don't know if you remember that. Anyway, the dance classes were behind Safeway in the play school. They then moved to a hall that was on Central Hill, but later got demolished.

#6 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:33 PM

yes i remember madge, My Mum said she used to play Bingo in the Granda and saw her there. Miss Perry was my sisters dance teacher also.

#7 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:39 PM

I started at Miss Perrys School of Dancing in 1964, and finally left around 1975. My name is Wendy, and your sister, if she was there during that time, may remember me as a bit stage struck! I used to be in all the shows, and was sleeping beauty at one time! What was her name??

#8 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

My sister would have been there about 5 years before you. but same dance teacher.

#9 royalbet

royalbet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:26 AM

I remember. In about 1940 the 2 cinemas in Church Road was the Rialto cinema and the Tivoli cinema I worked at the Rialto for a time in 1943.
Ken Jukes

Moderator's Note
UPPERCASE -> lowercase

Edited by James, 20 May 2006 - 09:52 AM.

#10 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hello, Jaw, & wendy sam,
I used to just call it the Crystal palace picture house, and as you went along Westow hill and then turned right into Church road it was on the left, I used to go to their firstly on the Saturday Mornings in the late 50's and then all of the 60's I would go with my friends or boyfriends on a Satuday Night or a Sunday night, unless of course on the Sunday night we went to the Crystal palace hotel., and WendySam I do remember Madge as I used to watch, Dame Edna's show all of the time, when she was in England, but did you know that she is really a man named Barry Humphries who of course is an Australian, as he plays several Characters, but most people loved him when he was Dame Edna. nOh vby the way Jaw one of my friends that I used to go around with will know the name of the Picture house, as we talk aout all of the things we used to spend our days and evenings at, that was when we were not at School or at work.

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

#11 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:18 AM

Dame Edna's show all of the time, when she was in England, but did you know that she is really a man named Barry Humphries

I'd be a bit worried if anyone didn't know this.

#12 Mary Nesbitt

Mary Nesbitt

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

If anyone's interested I have some pictures of these cinemas when they were active.

Only problem is - how do I get them posted? I see I need to enter a URL address to where the images are located. However, I'm not sure what my full URL address is.

If anyone can help me and I can sort this out I will happily post the pics.

#13 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

As long as there aren't any copyright issues I can put them on VN if you email them to me.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#14 Mary Nesbitt

Mary Nesbitt

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

Thank you James,

I can't see that there would be a copyright issue - I think they came from the Norwood amateur photographers' society, or possibly a friend of mine in the film industry. But if anyone complains we can always remove them.

How should I email them to you? I don't have your address
(if that's not a stupid question).

#15 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm sorry but I cannot host them if you do not have the copyright or permission from the copyright holder.

European.vote - EU Referendum