• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Mary Nesbitt

Mary Nesbitt

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:53 PM

That's a pity. But I respect your caution.
I'll have to check my sources and come back to you.

#17 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:12 AM

Interesting thread. So one cinema is now the Bingo Hall. I'd be interested to know where on Church Road the other one was.

There was also a third cinema in the Triangle - I think it was in part of the building on Westow Hill in which Budgens is now, plus a (demolished) building behind. Is that right?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#18 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

the 2nd cinema in church road was where the Merc dealer was about 100 yards or so away from the Bingo hall going south, yes the other one was behind where Budgens now is at Barclays Bank end

#19 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:02 PM

That's a pity. But I respect your caution.
I'll have to check my sources and come back to you.

James is of course right, and I hope you do get permission as I would like to see these old photos.
aka Pie

#20 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

There was Cinema and also a Theatre in penge, near the Police Station. and I rememeber a Granada cinema in Sydenham where Safewys used to be.

#21 wendy sam2

wendy sam2

Palace Princess

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

I remember the cinema in Penge very well. It's where the Moon and Stars pub is now. I had a friend who was a usherette and used to get me in for free! I saw 'the King and I' there with my mum.

Ive heard that the Theatre in Penge was on the same side as McD's and on the corner next to it.

I also remember a cinema in Forest Hill, which then became a bingo now a weatherspoons pub.

Didn't know about the one behind Budgens! Very interesting. Where exactly is Budgens, is it next to the Methodist Church, used to be a Tescos? Please update me!

#22 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

No budgens is in Westow Street between Jasper Road and Barclays Bank near the top of Woodland Road.

#23 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

I used to go to the cinema on the right on Saturday mornings.. A few hundred yards from the roundabout at CP.

#24 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

No budgens is in Westow Street between Jasper Road and Barclays Bank near the top of Woodland Road.

That would be Westow Hill, then. And you of all people, Jaw... ;)

#25 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

My deliberate mistake ha ha not, took a long time for somone to notice though, my error

#26 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

The little shop that used to be next to the launderette in Westow Hill and is of course now part of Budgeons used to be the ice cream shop for the cinema. I know this because when they took the boarding off the shop above the window it revealed a neon sign which was the name of an ice cream.

The cinema was down an alley where the gap is next to Barclays Bank. Can't remember the name of the ice cream though I think. There have been four cinemas in Crystal Palace. Can anyone name the other or its location?

#27 jaw

jaw

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

I only know the names of those in Church Road,, The first one where the bingo hall is was originally called the Rialto, then Granda took over and the other in Church Road was the Century, I never knew the name of the one near barclays, or of any others in the area.

#28 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hi Mary, put the pics up on Flickr. They'll be too small for anyone to steal them for print or similar and put a note on there saying you are happy to remove them if anyone complains. That way VN doesn't have to carry the risk and we get to see them.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#29 chris_thomas

chris_thomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

We covered the cinemas of Crystal Palace in the January issue of the Palace magazine.
For anyone who missed it we have reproduced the article on our website:
http://www.the-palac...tml#histcinemas

l'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has memories of the cinemas
and perhaps we can run a follow up article.

Chris Thomas
Publisher
The Palace Magazine
chris@the-palace-mag.co.uk
Chris Thomas
www.palacemag.co.uk

#30 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:01 PM