• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:53 PM

Can anyone recommend a good box scheme that deliver to Crystal Palace? Looking on the net, seems that Riverford and Capricorn are two reasonable looking companies. In particular does anyone know one that may deliver in the evenings?

#2 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Abel & Cole are good, but not sure if you can pick your delivery time. They are local too - Herne Hill.

http://www.abel-cole.co.uk/

Edited to add - sorry not Herne Hill any more, but not far away in Wimbledon!

Edited by rachel, 06 May 2006 - 07:13 PM.

#3 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

I can highly recommend Abel & Cole. We have used them for the past 2 years, and they have been fantastic.

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:44 AM

I have also used Abel & Cole for the past two years and never had any problem with them. We get all our fruit and veg from them plus our dairy stuff and E-cover products.

You can't pick the day or time. They deliver in SE19 on a Wednesday and they just leave the box outside your house or wherever you ask them to leave it.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

many thanks!

#6 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:55 AM

Just started using abel and cole and got first box last week.
Oh so thats what veg is supposed to taste like!

#7 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

I've used Abel & Cole as well. They only deliver during the day, but you can leave instructions for them to put the box somewhere specific - we used to hide it behind the hedge - so it is still there when you come home.

A few carrots and potatoes probably aren't the biggest draw for would-be thieves anyhow!

#8 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

I've tried Riverford which I liked - particularly because they seem to source stuff mainly in the UK through their farms network so the "travel impact" of their produce is lower. I think Abel and Cole try to do the same although they do source produce from abroad but say that they they try to use the "nearest" supplier.

#9 Optimist

Optimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

Planta, the health food shop on Westow Hill have a vegetable box delivery service which we've used a few times. You get a good variety of seasonal fruit and vegetables, and they have a special offer of 20% off for the first three orders. You can pick up a flyer in the shop for prices and then you can either order there or put in your order over the phone. They deliver on Thursday evenings.

I haven't tried any of the other services mentioned, so not sure if Planta compare favourably to those.

#10 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:52 AM

That's interesting, Optimist, i didn't realise they had such a service. maybe a pit pricey knowing them though.
Please let us know how you get on if you use them, and whether or not your box is half-empty or half-full ?! (Sorry, couldn't resist it !)
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#11 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:47 AM

I recently switched from Abel and Cole to Riverford. Abel and Cole were generally fine, although they did often send me very unripe tomatoes which didn't seem right! My main problem with them was that they delivered on Fridays, which was not the best day for me, plus I got a bit sick of Jerusalem artichokes...

So far I am happy with Riverford. Their produce seems to last longer. However you can't order extra items, as far as I can tell and you can't specify favourites and things you dislike.

(If i am wrong about this, do let me know!)

They are also cheaper.
Rachel
My link

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

Personally, the likes and dislikes option that Abel & Cole offer is important to me and is one of the reasons I stick with them rather than going elsewhere. I guess it depends how fussy your household is about certain veg - I hate onions and my other half hates mushrooms! Their website is also very easy to use and you can see what veg you will be getting in your box that week, which means you can plan ahead.

Re the storage of veg, I initially found the veg didn't keep long. However, now I keep most of the veg in the fridge and it lasts ages. Broccoli only last a couple of days on the veg rack, but wrapped in a plastic bag and kept in the fridge, it lasts for weeks. Likewise carrots, in the fridge they keep loads longer. Now the only thing I do keep on the veg rack is the potatoes as they keep well anyway. A&C is quite good at giving out storage tips in its newsletter and I've never had any problems.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thanks all. Think I will try each company out once over the next few weeks and see how that goes. I'll publish a summary in a few weeks!

#14 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

Personally, the likes and dislikes option that Abel & Cole offer is important to me and is one of the reasons I stick with them rather than going elsewhere. I guess it depends how fussy your household is about certain veg - I hate onions and my other half hates mushrooms! Their website is also very easy to use and you can see what veg you will be getting in your box that week, which means you can plan ahead.

I have to say that we have found this feature of A&C to be fantastic too. Too much Jerusalem Artichoke is too much for anyone....... :)

#15 Optimist

Optimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

That's interesting, Optimist, i didn't realise they had such a service. maybe a pit pricey knowing them though.

They've been running the service since around the end of last year I think - the medium veg box is about £12.99 I think and you get 8 items for that. You can also pick your own items, but that's a bit more pricey.