• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hi - I've been using Riverford (got the recommendation from reading this thread so thanks for that!) and think they are brilliant. I was very :( to discover when I got home tonight though that my box had been stolen even though it is left in a fairly hidden place. It's a bit sad when people resort to stealing boxes of veggies.....

#32 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

Ocado have started doing an organic veg box as well - There are three sizes and they seem to be full of quite interesting stuff

Edited by iclipper, 09 November 2006 - 12:55 PM.

#33 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

Only ever a matter of time before the supermarkets got in on the act. What farms are they using to supply the produce?

I've been using Riverford for the last month or so, but Mr and Mrs Elmo are so busy, and eat out so much, that a lot of it was going to waste... we've dropped from a weekly delivery to bi-monthly.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#34 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

I have not ordered one - I noticed it on the website after a friend told me.
It only lists the coiuntry of origin (90% of which was the UK)
I have to admit that Green Beans from Kenya was a bit of a let down

Although you do have to give them points for trying

On another note, Has anyone tried the new organic supermarket in Balham - I passed it about a month ago when it had not uite opened

#35 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

'No proof' organic food is better
http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/6238227.stm

I've known for a while that the science hasn't been proved yet, but I maintain that my Riverford box tastes better than anything I can get in Sainsbury's...

That said I'd like to get a food box from Kent/Surrey/Sussex rather than Devon so it doesn't have to travel so far. Anyone know of any? :huh: :huh:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#36 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

I had a box stolen a while back too. My neighbours if they are at home bring it in for me, or I get my other half to pop back at lunch time (works in Croydon so is do-able) to bring it in, but had another scare this week when it was missing (weirdly turned up a few days later a bit damp with a whole nibbled in it and a potato have nibbled away) so think I will have to give them a back gate key and get them to put it in my back garden.

Bad karma stealing an organic f&v box. I can just imagine some horrible person lugging it home only to discover that it was full of "healthy things". Or maybe your local theif revels in what to do with celeriac, swiss chard and kohl rabi. You never know.

As for local schemes - there are a few tips on this thread - both Capricorn and Planta are local. I tried - Capricorn, the review is above. Another poster also mention Brown Cow Organics. Let us know what you think if you try them.

#37 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

I haven't had a box stolen, as the driver has the door code and is supposed to leave the box outside our flat door. (He comes so early in the morning that we're usually still asleep!) But recently there have been problems with the door and he's left it on the front steps. Some friendly soul had then taken the trouble of removing my egg box from the delivery and stepping on it, leaving the smashed eggs on the steps, next to the box. Very disappointing, as it could only really have been one of the neighbours :(

I must give my vote to Abel&Cole, mainly on the basis of the likes/dislikes. I'm allergic to a lot of things, and can't even have some of them in the house, so really for me this is the only way. I thought about trying Riverford and waited for them to have a box that wouldn't include bananas (allergic) but weeks went by and it never came, so I gave up. Bananas, I might add, are not native to Devon. Though to be fair, I was surprised to find a coconut in my A&C box the other week. Not from these parts either. I find it disappointing that these box schemes stick to their numbers of "so many varieties of fruit and so many of veg" so rigidly that they then have to use these imports from the other side of the globe. I would much rather just have more apples and a few more veg in the winter, instead of these exotic things from far away. Isn't that the point of seasonal?

Katsku

#38 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

I know what you are saying about the seasonal thing but the box would be very limited if everything was from the UK. A&C have some great apple varieties but they do get a bit dull after several weeks.

Having said that, I'd love to see them deliver more of the unusual vegetable varieties that can be grown in this country. We had scorzonera this week, which I really like but I'll probably only get it twice in a year.

Also, I love roasted root vegetables but I am kinda bored of beetroot now and I still have half a dozen of the things left. I do find it a little odd that A&C think that I only need 6 smallish potatoes in a week but I would love 4 beetroots every week for two months :blink: .
Mel, Forum Moderator