• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:31 PM

"jamesl - 4th of July is my daughter's birthday! - though she was late and wasn't even brought on by the Coldplay concert in CP a few days before then or numerous pineapples or a curry in Palace Spice"

4th July is the first world cup semi final and knowing my luck it will be when England have actually progressed beyond the quarters ;) . I am now under orders to have a "dry" world cup just in case I get that call to drive to the hospital. :D

#17 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

Fond memories! - I was so sure our baby would come just as I set off for U2 at Twickenham on 17th June! But world cup year, thats bad planning surely? My sister had her 2nd during the England - Germany game in Euro 2000 (waters broke during their pre-match BBQ! - he was very early). Luckily his dad is Irish ;)

Actually, given that most babies average a week past the due date (which begs the question, why is the due date not a week later as it is in France?), you'll probably get the whole world cup completely over, completely sober, and then it will arrive!

But if it is early, you'll get to watch the afternoon games during paternity leave!? (presuming you can keep yourself from falling asleep, which is a BIG presumption! - as I'm sure you know, don't mean to be patronising, just missing sleep greatly after 10.5 months... ).

Edited by matt, 17 May 2006 - 04:52 PM.

#18 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

Best of luck to everyone. Get some sleep now!

Thanks for your good wishes.

If I could sleep comfortably, I'm sure I'd be doing more of it - however seeing as you can't "bank" sleep, I'm not too worried!!

#19 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:21 PM

"...though she was late and wasn't even brought on by the Coldplay concert in CP a few days before then or numerous pineapples or a curry in Palace Spice"

Our little sausage was overdue by only two days, although by her due date we had already started to feel that she would be much later.
To speed things up the midwife, jean, from Paxton Green suggested pineapples, curry and ahem, plenty of "the other".
We took her advice to heart that evening and had a wonderful night...albeit without the pineapple though (couldn't think how to incorporate it) !
And hey presto....

To those of you getting anxious....just enjoy...all shall be well.
Best Wishes to you all..

Edited by loplop, 17 May 2006 - 10:22 PM.

a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#20 Emmalina

Emmalina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

We're expecting our first baby at the beginning of June at Mayday and we did the antenatal day at the hospital as well as NCT classes in Beckenham.

The hospital antenatal class was a bit rushed but very useful for finding out about hospital protocol and putting your mind at rest about the boring stuff (where to go/park etc).

By contrast, the NCT classes are much more leisurely and there is plenty of time to cover whatever the group want. We feel we got a lot of information about our choices that wasn't made available by the NHS.

So, I'd recommend both. Good Luck!

#21 motherash

motherash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

good luck to all you expectant parents, reading the posts on antenatal classes made me feel really frustrated as im half way through my training to be an antenatal 'educator' as we're called these days. Once im fully qualified i,ll be holding my classes in cp, but that wont be until next year which is of no use to you lot now!
I think any sort of antenatal classes are good not only for the mother to be but also to inform the birth partner, especially if you are planning to have the baby in hospital. It can be a very anxious time for both parents and it rarely ever goes to plan, so even reading some good books on child birth should help prepare and inform you on the choices you need to make.

most of all enjoy it, its such a wonderful and exciting time.

#22 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

Keep us posted on your classes Motherash - would be great to have classes in the area as there are so many young families around here, but no antenatal groups really. We did the NCT classes in Beckenham last summer and I found them invaluable. They were informative and interesting (and mildly terrifying at times!) and I've made some really lovely friends who have been so helpful, particularly in the early weeks. Sometimes you just need to talk to someone who is going through exactly the same experience as you at the same time, as you get a lot of conflicting advice from the health professionals.
So - should there be another mini-me, it would be great to go to a refresher class locally! :D

#23 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:45 AM

Good luck to you all. Make sure you sleep, eat in nice restaurants, go to the cinema, whatever tickles your fancy, but most of all SLEEP!!!!!!

I know it has already been said, but NCT classes are great. They are good in terms of learning something about the birth in more depth than you get with the NHS. However, the greatest part is meeting people with children exactly the same age as yours in your local area. We still regularly see all our NCT crew, more often than not weekly, with an annual group birthday party for them all aswell, some 4 years later!!!!

Good luck once again. :)