Photo

The Bridge House Tavern

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Good (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (2 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Bridge House Tavern
2 High Street, Penge, London SE20 8RZ

Phone: 020 8659 6928
Web: www.bridgehousetavern.com

#2 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

The couple of Saturday nights I've been there they've had live bands downstairs. Just got back from there, they had a dj playing reggae, ska and indie/punk... (on a Wednesday??) can't knock it! B)

Apparently they're having a summer solstice celebration... 'stone penge'. Don't know what it involves and unfortunately I won't be around to find out.

Great little local, they've got some good ideas there, give them your support.

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:34 AM

I understand from a well-placed source that the owners of the Mansion would be interested in buying the Bridge House, but that first of all they would require the current landlord to make good a major structural defect in the building (i.e. a huge crack in the wall). So we'll have to wait and see.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 david

david

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

I love the idea that the owners of the Mansion are interested in the Bridge house. Living on Thicket Road, I feel there isn't local Pub nearby that fits into this type of category. I end up hiking up the Hill for a quick drink! I'm sure such an establishment would be very welcome by many. there must be a large catchment of potential customers. I give credit to the people who might have some vision with this place! if it happens...

#5 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Lets hope that the owners of The Mansion can do a deal. The Bridge House has tons of potential given its location.

I agree, clientele from Thicket Road, Crystal Palace Park Road and Penge will give a big cheer that a gastro pub is within walking distance and being right near the Park will also attract families too. This area is crying out for a pub of this type.

I personally love the Mansion so to have a sister pub on my doorstep will be fab.

Fingers crossed that it happens.

#6 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

No, SOME clientele will welcome a gastro pub. You may find it hard to believe but some 'professionals' who live 3 minutes away from the Bridgehouse just want a decent boozer on their doorstep, not a restaurant that happens to sell overpriced beer.

#7 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:06 PM

And others want both... In the end if it's what the market wants, it's what the market will get. I think the Mansion is a little overpriced, but it's bordering Dulwich and some very nice streets. I think they'd find the clientele a little harder to please in Penge.

Edited by James, 25 April 2007 - 12:21 PM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#8 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

Well the Dolphin seems to be doing the business for the good citizens of Sydenham and I would venture that the clientelle are not that different from Penge. Sad fact is, that for anyone investing in a pub, food is what gets the punters through the door, and that any new pub relying on just being a decent boozer with food as a secondary concern is going to struggle.

having said that, the bridge house does have location, location on it's side - with a bit of TLC and a decent paint job....

#9 monkeylove

monkeylove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:47 AM

Does anyone know what is going on with the Bridge House? It has had a sign saying 'closed due to illness' up for the last few weeks but still has 'For Sale' AND 'Under New Management' signs! We have recently moved to Thicket Road and love it but there is nowhere nearby to go for a drink!! Any ideas?

#10 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

"stop press... scott is looking at the bridge house tavern penge as his next project! " - from teh Mansion thread

#11 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

This is very exciting news for the Penge Borderlands! The Bridgey is a great building and good location, but clearly needs a little T.L.C. Let's have a VN social there as soon as the dust settles (months from now, I'd guess).

#12 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

Loaur is right ....the guts are coming out. Had a peek in the window and the floor is gone and the earth is being excavated underneath the main room. Looks busy, moving forward.

#13 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

Also think a social is a good idea here. No taxi fare this time... :P
Nick, Forum Moderator

#14 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

Just had a quick chat with the builders as I drove past - it HAS been bought bt the owners of The Mansion and will reopen in four months!

#15 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

The gentrification of Penge starts... :ph34r:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter